INFO - 2013-2018 8.4A /AN FW Notes (RA3/VP3-NA & RA4/VP4-NA & UAx)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
So I got my hands on a 8.4" VP4 CN, Chinese Version. I was able to unlock it and plug it in, however it does not seem to have XM radio and no US maps loaded. I wonder if I can flash the US firmware/maps to this and get it working.

FIGiX5B.jpg
X8nD0Dj.jpg
PQPxMud.jpg
Chinese? That's a new one! How did you come by that?

Maybe if you purchased the map update from FCA, but that's a big maybe. I don't know if it will overwrite the foreign DB. See my last post link. Maybe you could pull the USB switcharoo truck to get it to flash?

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Avgas

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Express
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
See my last post link. Maybe you could pull the USB switcharoo truck to get it to flash?

Not sure what you mean by that. Where can I get the latest firmware to flash to this?

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Not sure what you mean by that. Where can I get the latest firmware to flash to this?
This thread possibly, but you should first have a copy of firmware you know works on your radio. This could be risky, and could give you an 8.4B (B=brick).

OP
OP
Mpgrimm2

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Fyi. I have the 2016 RA4/vp4-na fw and should be uploading it Sunday
and

Sent from my LG G4 on Tapatalk.

Avgas

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Express
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I have a RA4 for sale for anyone that is interested.

Edit: Not the chinese one posted above.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mpgrimm2

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Fyi. I have the 2016 RA4/vp4-na fw and should be uploading it Sunday
and

2016 RA4 Fw D/L links added. Also updated 2016 RA4 Info.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mpgrimm2

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
And an update b from Express SN95 using a Canadian radio for later reference...

Well I can confirm my setup in a 2016 Ram. Long story but the 2015 was bought back and I now have a 2016 with a build date of March 2016.

Specs: 2016 Ram 1500 Express Crew Cab with RA2 (Uconnect 5.0) from the factory
Donor radio: 2015 Ram 1500 RA4 CA (Canadian version) part #68238626ae
Donor bezel: 2014 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman part #1uj96dx9ae
Fan control: Purchased new (2016) part #68268186aa
Harness: CuylerTech extended harness

I have tested everything but the CD player and everything works great. It's nice to have the extended harness so I could put the factory HVAC controller where it comes from the factory. Very easy install with just the pass side dash panel being removed and the glove box.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm interested in Express SN95 's RA4 8.4 CA RADIO as well , any update sir ? Any issues ? Any delights ?
I should finally be installing MY RA4 8.4 CA radio soon ....

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Interested in factory install location with Pics if possible.

OP
OP
Mpgrimm2

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Interested in factory install location with Pics if possible.

See posts 6 & 7 from the Conversion thread...
Post 6

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I found a RA4 out of a 2015 Cherokee was thinking about trying to buy it and put it in my 14 Ram. I know you can put the 13 and 14 jeep radios in tje Ram just wanted to make sure I could put the 15 jeep RA4 in my 14 Ram before I buy it.....thx for any help on this

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I found a RA4 out of a 2015 Cherokee was thinking about trying to buy it and put it in my 14 Ram. I know you can put the 13 and 14 jeep radios in tje Ram just wanted to make sure I could put the 15 jeep RA4 in my 14 Ram before I buy it.....thx for any help on this
As far as I know, it's not recommended, but I "think" some have been successful.

To add to this discussion, apparently FCA has some plans for newer software on 8.4s that have iPhone and Android OS integration (not just compatibility, think CarPlay and Android Auto).

For anyone considering the upgrade to an 8.4 you may want to see how this shakes out first...

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My texting works great I just cannot voice text anymore because I updated my firmware and it says I need a Uconnect account. Actually have another radio that's my spare and the voice texting works great on it but it has the old Maps my neighborhood is pretty new so I like the updated Maps. Kind of sucks seems like I can have one or the other if I update my maps I will lose my voice texting. Going to try to put in a 2015 because it will have updared maps and hopefully the voice texting will still work we put one in my buddies truck and it works great but it was out of a Ram.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
My texting works great I just cannot voice text anymore because I updated my firmware and it says I need a Uconnect account. Actually have another radio that's my spare and the voice texting works great on it but it has the old Maps my neighborhood is pretty new so I like the updated Maps. Kind of sucks seems like I can have one or the other if I update my maps I will lose my voice texting. Going to try to put in a 2015 because it will have updared maps and hopefully the voice texting will still work we put one in my buddies truck and it works great but it was out of a Ram.
Did you buy the update? I don't see anything that would stop you from using it on multiple radios...

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yea I bought the update but you need the request code from your radio when you order it. Not sure if I could get it to load into another radio. You need to have the 14 25.5 firmware or higher to install the update according to Uconnect. My spare radio has 13 something firmware so I would probably have to update it to the 14 25.5 to even try to install the new maps and would most likley lose the voice texting on it as well. I know it sounds kinda petty but I realy liked the voice texting and got used to it. I can use the predetermined texts but the options are pretty limited

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I get it. For some reason, my SXM subscription still works (expired in January) and the voice texting works flawlessly (although I've never had a subscription).

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
From what I have seen the voice texting will keep working as long as you dont update your Firmware in most cases. As soon as you update the Firmware it's like it resets it and then it senses you don't have a subscription. At least that's what happened to mine and some others I have seen. Like I said my radio works apsolutly perfect t. The voice recognition is spot on everytime. Just trying to figure out how to have the voice texting back with updated maps.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
From what I have seen the voice texting will keep working as long as you dont update your Firmware in most cases. As soon as you update the Firmware it's like it resets it and then it senses you don't have a subscription. At least that's what happened to mine and some others I have seen. Like I said my radio works apsolutly perfect t. The voice recognition is spot on everytime. Just trying to figure out how to have the voice texting back with updated maps.
I updated from 14.25.5 to 15.26.1 and it continued to work. The only thing I can think of that could have possibly interfered with it is the LockPick I have installed. I know it intercepts and hijacks some of the signals to do what it does...maybe?

OP
OP
Mpgrimm2

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
As far as I know, it's not recommended, but I "think" some have been successful.

To add to this discussion, apparently FCA has some plans for newer software on 8.4s that have iPhone and Android OS integration (not just compatibility, think CarPlay and Android Auto).

For anyone considering the upgrade to an 8.4 you may want to see how this shakes out first...

^^^^
This. Thanks skb!

I don't have enough info on the Cherokee RA4's and the part numbers that were successfully used by the few forum numbers that tried them.

PS: I have a few questions for RicksRam about the Map update file. (I got a hold of the 2015 RA4 v15.17.5 fw file that has the maps in the file (usually it's just the radio fw only). ... Gears are turning ...
I will pm you in a bit.