Info for non electric locking Ramboxes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Damion

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So when locking my truck today, I noticed I didn't hear the usual thud from my drivers side Rambox as it locked, checked and sure enough, it wasn't locked. Tried the ancient key lock method which worked but no electric locking.

A quick google search told me its a fairly common problem with the ramboxes, where a plastic keeper breaks and lets the lock rod pop out of the lock tab causing a no lock issue. ( if anyone has worked on a GM tailgate these are the same plastic keepers that hold the tailgate release rods into the tailgate handle ).

Stopped into the dealer to see if they had stock, no go, and there are two different colours, green and white. Not sure the difference between them and not having mine torn apart yet I didn't know which was broken on mine. ( Turns out it was the green. ) So I told the parts dept ill see them in the morning once I found out what was what. ( Truck is just out of warranty ) The parts were only 1.70 CDN each so not terrible to order anyway.

While googling the problem I read where someone had taken the rod out, threaded it and put a nut behind it which eliminates the plastic keeper, thats the route I took to fix mine. Used a 10-24 die and threaded the rod as much as I could, re installed the rod and put a nut with locktite behind it to hold it together. Works like a charm!!! and no more broken plastic.

I always read rambox threads but haven't seen this issue pop ups I figured id post my findings and my fix, Hope this helps someone

ThomasR550

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Thanks Damion!
Do you happen to know if this process works on newer (2020) trucks?

GeorgeC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Thanks Damion!
Do you happen to know if this process works on newer (2020) trucks?

My 2021 got same situation, I took the connector and thread with a nut, then found a lock nut with plastic, put back and thread it, vola! Done!