INFO: FoTa 18.11.07 SW Update 13-17 RA3/Vp3-NA & Ra4 VP4-NA

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Starting a new thread that I can update/edit to help out.

See TSB 08-089-19 LINKED BELOW
View attachment TSB 08-89-19.pdf

Will see about getting the other threads merged here.
Fried Dumpling's: uConnect Update ? thread.

Need everyone to keep an eye out for an official v18.11.x download file if it becomes available for each Ra4 VP4-NA year from 13-17 (& Ra3 Vp3-NA).

There are a lot of folks out there with 8.4 upgrades and factory radios out of warranty this will affect on Nov 3. See the TSB

... A call out to anyone that wants to help - if you receive the 18.x software by OTA, please check the UConnect update site (https://www.driveuconnect.com/support/software-update.html) as often as you can, to see if the file becomes downloadable. Then download it and PM me (or anyone in this thread) that you have it. This seems like a real deal important update and with so many of us on upgraded head units, we're going to need the support.

Also, if anyone has a good relationship with a service department, see if you can talk to them and find out if/when THEY can download it, and even better if you can grab a copy.

FWIW, there are SO many vehicles affected, Im pretty sure it will be made available eventually, but I just dont know how long from now.

M² Mods.

Last edited:

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
If you're stuck in an endless pop up/update loop ...

Here's @mxer201's Post 33 in the original thread....
I just had the same thing happen. I called FCA support twice. Second call I was told I would need to take my Ram to a dealer so the radio could get a hard reset. I followed the instructions on the display to no avail. But it finally updated.....I think.

While traveling home I stopped and entered a time about 5 minutes ahead for the update.

I believe this time I waited a few more minutes before turning my truck off. About 40 minutes later when I started it, the radio was working again. So I don't know if I was lucky or what.

Here are instructions I received from FCA. I didn't follow this to a T, though.

The following are the steps for removing the pop up for an update on your vehicle:

1. Choose Schedule Update

2. Set the time 2 minutes ahead of your current time (for example if it is 8:43 AM, set the time for 8:45 AM)

3. Once the time is chosen, select 'Set Time'

4. Select 'OK' DO NOT press the X at the top right

5. Wait for 3 minutes to allow the set time to pass (for example, if the time was set for 8:45 AM, wait at least until 8:48 AM)

6. Perform two button reset (Simultaneously press and hold the circular browse/enter & power/mute buttons for 5 seconds.)

7. Wait for the 'Schedule Update' pop up to show again but DO NOT set time

8. Perform a complete sleep cycle

a. Ignition off

b. Open door

c. close door

d. lock the door

e. Wait for 10 minutes

9. Turn the Ignition on, and the pop ups should cease

M² Mods.

Last edited:

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for this.

So the issue seems to be "GPS week number rollover". GPS systems use clock time for accuracy, but they base their time off a 10 bit week number counter. The max value of that counter is 1024 (2 to the 10th power).

When that counter runs out, it rolls over to all zeroes. Similar to the y2k bug, when faced with a rollover the GPS unit in our radios does not know if its week 0 from when it first started (1024 weeks ago) or if its week 0 because it rolled over. As such, the GPS will become inaccurate or inoperable without some sort of fix.

The fix is what is being pushed OTA right now.

For those of us that have transplanted upgraded head units, I am not 100% sure what will happen.

Once our VIN is up for the OTA, will our transplanted head unit even see the prompt for it?

If so, and if we let the OTA come down, will we get the file for whatever model is associated with our VIN, or will the transplanted head unit be sure to call out for its correct file?

If we let the OTA come down and it attempts to push a file that is for our original model, Im assuming the transplanted head unit will prevent it from being flashed (a good thing), BUT I do not know what will happen in the future.....will the head unit keep attempting to download and flash the file over and over again? Or will it give up attempting to update, but then when the magic day (11/3/19) comes, will we no longer have working GPS and no way to fix it?

Something else to consider is if having the build config updated at the dealer (for however much they charge to add the sales codes), will that ensure the file that comes down is correct? I know this does not apply to trucks that could never get ra3 or ra4 but it might be a possibility for others (like myself). Almost considering doing it myself but I worry they will make a replacement head unit their universal way of denying anything warranty and/or maxcare.

From what Ive read of people that actually got the update, it looks like they are currently on 2015 and maybe some 2016 RAMs. I have the VIN from a 2015 that has received the update and am (daily) checking the UConnect update site to see if the 18.X version becomes downloadable.

A call out to anyone that wants to help - if you receive the 18.x software by OTA, please check the UConnect update site (https://www.driveuconnect.com/support/software-update.html) as often as you can, to see if the file becomes downloadable. Then download it and PM me (or anyone in this thread) that you have it. This seems like a real deal important update and with so many of us on upgraded head units, we're going to need the support.

Also, if anyone has a good relationship with a service department, see if you can talk to them and find out if/when THEY can download it, and even better if you can grab a copy.

FWIW, there are SO many vehicles affected, Im pretty sure it will be made available eventually, but I just dont know how long from now.

Last edited:

Hemimania

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
First off, I had to create an account here just to say thanks. My radio was bricked for about a week with the "Schedule Update" popup constantly showing up. No sound on radio. I could still use the nav but every time I pressed something, I had to cancel the whole "Schedule Update" thing over and over until my destination was in. I tried to actually schedule the update three times overnight, even waiting more than 24 hours to turn the truck back on. No dice.

I followed the FCA procedure posted by mxer201 and roughly followed by hemimania, and to my amazement this worked! Checked my nav version after it was done and it now shows 18.11.07. I pretty much followed the procedure to a tee but posting what I remember doing:
1. Turned on the truck (not the engine) to check my software version.
2. Tapped out of a bunch of "Schedule Update" popups to get to my settings.
3. Saw an error message that said my engine needed to be on to get to my settings.
4. Started my engine.
5. Saw the same message about my engine needing to be on to see settings.
6. Cussed a few times.
7. Turned off the engine but stayed in the truck and followed the procedure above.
8. After I did step 5 I never saw an hourglass (I think hemimania said that he saw one in a previous post).
9. Still did the 2-button reset in step 6, but for 10 seconds.
10. Step 7 says to wait for the popup to come back, but I didn't see it after waiting a few minutes (can't remember exactly how long).
11. Decided to turn the truck back on (not the engine) and saw the "Schedule Update" popup. However, I also noticed that the time on the clock was wrong, about 4 hours ahead. I think hemimania pointed out about the time being wrong initially as well.
12. So I kept going with step 8 and did the sleep cycle. Then waited for 15 minutes. Then came back out and started the ignition. Boom! Had sound on my radio, no more "radio locked" and "Schedule Update" messages.

Frustrating that there doesn't seem to be much in the way of an "official" fix, but maybe this is as close as it gets. Hopefully my experience will help someone else out though.
:happy160: Glad it worked.

RockyAEV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Following closely for sure...thanks for the heads up

2018 Ram 2500 Tradesman
6.7L, G56

makrie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Finally got it done. :33: There appear to be two (2) updates. I got the 1st done by starting the download immediately while keeping the truck running. I was able to see the update install on the screen; typical progress bar on any computer... I thought I might be done but the radio still didn't work. When I changed screens the "update" message appeared again! :confused:

The second update would only install while the engine was off with the transmission in park. Note: I scheduled this one approximately 20 minutes after shutting down to allow enough time for the PCM to reach sleep mode. I waited 3+ hours before checking as I had know idea how long the download takes.

Disclaimer: This worked for me! No guidance was given by RAM representatives. There may be simpler, faster or steps I took that were totally unnecessary. Your mileage may vary! ;)

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Well it won't let me set the order of the posts. But the threads are merged. The order of the posts looks whacked out though.

Sorry Mike.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Well it won't let me set the order of the posts. But the threads are merged. The order of the posts looks whacked out though.

Sorry Mike.
Dang. Thanks for giving it a go Butch ....
Any chance you can undo it then?

The goal was to have the op with updated info that I can edit at the top, which is why I started the new thread. Chasing it down at post 121 to 126 and not having it buried will make it hard to be of any use.

(Let me know if I need to start a new thread again to avoid losing those posts I made.)

And thanks again. Hopefully we can figure something out.

M² Mods.

Last edited:

Shaggy

Administrator/Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Ram Year
--
Engine
--
Not exactly sure what you want? Just the last 8 or so posts moved to a new thread on their own?

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Not exactly sure what you want? Just the last 8 or so posts moved to a new thread on their own?
@Shaggy
Can you move posts post 121 -126 to the top of this thread? ie make them posts 1-6 and add the rest after?

That's how I was hoping to get them merged so I could keep all the important updates at the top as we get em. ( @chrisbh17 is also helping me behind the scenes track down info).

Thanks for taking a look.

Mike G.

Edit: if I need to recreate my thread with the above title and the 6 posts again let me know.

M² Mods.

Last edited:

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Did I get a later software version? I have a 2015:

FQA9kltl.jpg

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did I get a later software version? I have a 2015:

FQA9kltl.jpg
What model radio? Ra3, ra4, uaq, uas, etc?

Is that in a ram from the US?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What model radio? Ra3, ra4, uaq, uas, etc?

Is that in a ram from the US?

From my build sheet:
Uconnect 3C NAV with 8.4" Display. I don’t know if that answers your question, but it is a US model that came from the factory with Navi.

EDIT: when I put in my vin to see if software is available I get this:
UCONNECT_8.4AN_RA4_17.43.01_MY15_NAFTA

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
From my build sheet:
Uconnect 3C NAV with 8.4" Display. I don’t know if that answers your question, but it is a US model that came from the factory with Navi.

EDIT: when I put in my vin to see if software is available I get this:
UCONNECT_8.4AN_RA4_17.43.01_MY15_NAFTA
Strange, I would expect it to show 17.43.01, just like mine does (also an ra4 unit)

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L