Injectors -V- Nozzles? Plus- Rocker install?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

reddot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Whats the reasoning to get one or the other? Are Nozzles easy to swap and what will stock injectors handle? This is beyond me.

Also how involved are the spring and rocker install. Saw a video on head stud install and he kinda scared me when it comes to rockers and spring. Is this something a pro needs to do or is this something that may be within my ability?

Thanks all!

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
If your current injector bodies are in good shape, then you will only need new nozzles. On my 07, I installed DDP 90hp nozzles on my stock injectors at 70k miles. Ran it another 20k miles before selling the truck, and never had a problem. I had a local diesel shop do the install though, so I cant help much there.

OP
OP
reddot

reddot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
I dont even have 70k yet No issues so far. Maybe id be safe with just nozzles..... Thanks Matt, you have been a great help and wealth of info for this forum. Thanks for joining and supporting!

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
No problem. I have a thing for Dodge trucks, so its just as exciting for me to watch others mod their trucks as it is when I mod my own. What performance mods do you have planned now with the new nozzles?

OP
OP
reddot

reddot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Well I really got to save for a built trans. But since my fuel system is ready for them ill be working on air. New turbo, exhaust manifold, head studs, rockers, springs. Not sure if I should do a fire ring, o-ring, or hope for the best with just studs.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
I was making over 600hp/1100tq with just a set of ARP 425 studs and 50psi boost without any problems. If you dont already have a better lift pump, then I would add that before nozzles. Last thing you want is poor filtration to ruin an expensive set of injectors.

As for turbo, its best to do that an the manifold together so you arent stuck installing it twice. Most manifolds are under $500, so its better to just save a bit longer and do it right once.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Oops, I just saw that you have an AirDog lift pump already. Good chioce. I was running the same. I had Crazy Larry with an MP8 stacked on top. Even with the MP8 at 100% for 20k miles, the fuel system held up great.

OP
OP
reddot

reddot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
I was making over 600hp/1100tq with just a set of ARP 425 studs and 50psi boost without any problems. If you dont already have a better lift pump, then I would add that before nozzles. Last thing you want is poor filtration to ruin an expensive set of injectors.

As for turbo, its best to do that an the manifold together so you arent stuck installing it twice. Most manifolds are under $500, so its better to just save a bit longer and do it right once.

Read my mind :D Yeah thats teh plan.

I am set for fuel supply. I got the Airdog II 165gph with the 1/2 lines and the tank sump mod, and ATS duel CP3s. Long term ill be looking at twins but I dont know if I can hold out that long for more air. Ive already been looking at and wanting a new turbo.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Yeah, I'd say you are set on fuel to about 900hp...haha

Have you decided which turbo you want to run?

OP
OP
reddot

reddot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
no this is another area I dont know much about yet. I like things I can install myself without too much trouble but I dont want that to limit my part selection.

Ind Inj seems to have some pretty cool drop-in kits. I was looking a bit at the stage III......

OP
OP
reddot

reddot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
I also dont know if I should go wastegated or not....

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Are you looking to start racing this truck, or is it still going to be a fun daily driver with some offroad action?

OP
OP
reddot

reddot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Are you looking to start racing this truck, or is it still going to be a fun daily driver with some offroad action?

Im trying to keep my head out of the clouds but I want to try and make it as multipurpose as possible. Number one is it needs to remain a DD, I may see some towing once and a while. I love to play off-road but I want to do well on the dyno and the 1/4mile.

If I can sell my 98 ram and my victory id like to get a 2wd cummins to make my real go fast truck.

GhostRam94

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 Laramie CC
Engine
5.7 HEMI
If your current injector bodies are in good shape, then you will only need new nozzles. On my 07, I installed DDP 90hp nozzles on my stock injectors at 70k miles. Ran it another 20k miles before selling the truck, and never had a problem. I had a local diesel shop do the install though, so I cant help much there.

Elliot's???:D

the codes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
Reece...I love watching your truck/mods progress lol just sayin

Tapatalk Addict

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Im trying to keep my head out of the clouds but I want to try and make it as multipurpose as possible. Number one is it needs to remain a DD, I may see some towing once and a while. I love to play off-road but I want to do well on the dyno and the 1/4mile.

If I can sell my 98 ram and my victory id like to get a 2wd cummins to make my real go fast truck.

To be honest, my 64mm turbo pulled stupid hard up top, but the lag down low, even with 90s, was terrible offroad. Combine that with a looser converter and you were screwed if you got stuck in sand/mud. I think you would be very happy with a 62mm turbo and 70's, and then that leaves alot of room on the table to upgrade to twins down the road. A twin setup using a 64 is going to be very laggy, especially with anything less than 120hp injectors.

schroederMP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I'm gonna agree with Matt on the turbo...don't go a big single unless its strickly race/pulling truck. Anything over a 64mm DD you will smoke out your town before it spools. I don't think you'll be happy.

MY plan is a 63mm with my 60s stick. After review after review I've read that that is an awesome combo. Good for towing, wheeling, DDing, you name it.

As far as nozzels...with less than 70k miles on your truck, I'd agree with Matt again. Your bodies should be fine. I went with brand new bodies with my 60s because I have 150k miles on them. And unless you've done a nozzel switch before, I'd recommend taking it to a shop...I've heard these new CR injectors and nozzels are very picky.

Good luck man...looking forward to seeing it happen!

schroederMP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
And if you've installed your suspension lift on your truck...you can do remove and install injectors/rockers/ and springs. Very straight forward....just very tedious.

OP
OP
reddot

reddot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Thanks Braydon. Yeah I did the suspension which is not big deal, and the CP3 wernt bad at all once I figured out how it all was suppose to work/setup. Ill have to find a good write up on the rockers and springs. Probably do it at the same time as the studs.

Well I dont think there is any shop that could do injector nozzles around here. Maybe I can keep my truck down long enough to ship the injectors somewhere? If I go with a new injector for whatever reason is that a pretty straight forward install?