Installed my CHMSL camera!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mountaineer83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
So, my wonderful wife bought me a third brake light camera for my birthday yesterday. My dad and I installed it today. Pretty straightforward actually. No flash needed and its plug and play aside from 3 small wires to splice into an ACC wire.

She got it from tailgatecamera.com. It is actually controlled by a small, very small, toggle switch that I mounted on my console. I have a switch there already for my trailer camera. I will post up some pics tomorrow if I get a chance, but ove, i really like it.

I haven't used it yet of course to hook up the 5th wheel, but it should make it so much nicer.

OP
OP
Mountaineer83

Mountaineer83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Got some pics of the camera and the switch. The large red rocker switch is for my RV camera, the small one is the one that came with the CHMSL camera.

20190327_161355.jpg

20190327_161331.jpg

20190327_161457.jpg

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
So you don't select that cargo cam from within the head unit?

You still had to run a wire from the cam to the head unit for the video feed, right?

OP
OP
Mountaineer83

Mountaineer83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Correct. You use the toggle switch to flip between the tailgate and this camera. I like it myself as it's pretty simple. Plus, if you leave the switch "on", then it defaults to the cargo camera when you go into reverse keeping you from selecting it every time.

The kit comes with everything you need, but you run a small wire to the front and then under the dash. It comes with a harness that plugs between the truck and the stereo that controls it all.

Took me maybe an hour to install and that includes removing the trim and such to run the wire.

OP
OP
Mountaineer83

Mountaineer83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
She ordered it from tailgatecamera.com

I think it was$238 shipped and no charge to flash the computer with the switch.

OP
OP
Mountaineer83

Mountaineer83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
They do. And it seems pretty well made. Only thing I changed was the gasket on the light itself since there is so much concern over them leaking.