Installing aux lights and need to run wires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bkspear

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I have installed some strobe lights in the grill of my 06 2500 RAM and was wondering if anyone has suggestions on how to route the wires back to a switch in the cab? Since the grill lifts up along with the hood, I have bundled the wires together and zip tied them temporarily to the rod in the center of the grill. Should I just run the wires across the insert on the top of the hood and staple them somehow? Thanks.

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Maybe a better option to mount the lights to the radiator core support, or similar so they DON'T go up with the hood.

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
You could do like (sbarron) said or you could make your harness and run everything under the hood liner and follow the hood lap harness down and then into the cab.

OP
OP
B

bkspear

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Sbarron,
I dont have any mounting brackets, so I would either have to purchase some or make some to mount around the radiators. Right now the lights fit perfectly in between the slats in the grill so there are no obstructions to the light.

Silverstreak,
Yea, I thought about running a bundle of wires under the liner as well. The liner is pretty tightly secured, there doesnt appear to be much room to get a bundle thru without removing the liner. Do you know how difficult it is to remove and re-install the liner for this? Thanks !!

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
Sbarron,
I dont have any mounting brackets, so I would either have to purchase some or make some to mount around the radiators. Right now the lights fit perfectly in between the slats in the grill so there are no obstructions to the light.

Silverstreak,
Yea, I thought about running a bundle of wires under the liner as well. The liner is pretty tightly secured, there doesnt appear to be much room to get a bundle thru without removing the liner. Do you know how difficult it is to remove and re-install the liner for this? Thanks !!

You can remove it or; you can straiten out a coat hanger and run it from the hood light hole to the front of the hood, take about 2" of the wires and fold over and use electrical tape and tape them to the end of the coat hanger wrapping the tape all the way up onto it. Folding the wires over and wrapping the tape all the way up is essential so that you wont catch it on anything when pulling it through.

OP
OP
B

bkspear

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Silverstreak,
Thats an excellent idea!! Thanks so much!!

derekp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
1990 5.9 Cummins
You can remove it or; you can straiten out a coat hanger and run it from the hood light hole to the front of the hood, take about 2" of the wires and fold over and use electrical tape and tape them to the end of the coat hanger wrapping the tape all the way up onto it. Folding the wires over and wrapping the tape all the way up is essential so that you wont catch it on anything when pulling it through.

Done that more times than I can count. Lol:roflsquared:

derekp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
1990 5.9 Cummins
Best "specialty" tool in my box. I never fight with something unless I have to, I guess you had to pull it off for the new hood and the scoop light.

Lol there isn't any liner under there. The fiber glass is really thick so I I used some of those zip ties with an eye hole to attach them with a screw. I can't think of the actual name for those at the moment.

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
Lol there isn't any liner under there. The fiber glass is really thick so I I used some of those zip ties with an eye hole to attach them with a screw. I can't think of the actual name for those at the moment.
Thought that hood was steel...

Sent From 1 of Many Samsung Devices