Installing new Stereo

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I got a new stereo for Christmas, I am getting ready for installation and realized that there is 4 speaker and 7 speaker setups and Infinity vs non infinity systems.

How do I tell what I have to plan for installation( I need new front door speakers, mine are blown)

I have the 2004 ram 2500 Quad Cab 5.7L Hemi

Thank you,

Steve

BrandonM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How many speaker cutouts does it have on the dash? The 4-speaker series won't have the dash speakers installed.

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i know my 05 had the infinity emblem on the door panel, id assume 04 would be the same but not positive

Drunken Hamster

Turncoat Ford Boi
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2005
Engine
was 5.7 Hemi
Hope you didn't buy a fuckwood.[kenwood]

Lemme know if your front speakers are missing their magnets. That's what was wrong with mine, lol.

OP
OP
U
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There are grills in the dash, no emblems anywhere for infinity. Don't hear anything from dash, driver front door speaker blown, hear music from right and rear.

Was given boss audio touch screen 320watt system, looks decent.

Drunken Hamster

Turncoat Ford Boi
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2005
Engine
was 5.7 Hemi
Guess I will pull out blown speaker to see what it is.
Make sure you at least replace your speakers in pairs or you'll get an offset sound, both in quality and in volume.

And really, your should replace them ask at one, because your new setup will likely blow stock speakers.

My single din Kenwood alone with no amping blew my left rear, and my fonts were already gone due to missing magnets long before that happened.

Don't forget sound deadening, either. The most critical component of an audio build. Also the most overlooked and ignored or improperly done.

Look up "how to sound deaden like a pro" by "car audio fabrication" on YouTube to get a good representation of how it should be done.

If you follow those steps on just your doors, it'll be a huge improvement. If you do it to the rest of your cab -particularly your floors, sides, rear wall, and firewall- you'll just about be perfect, with the roof nit really contributing much in my eyes, and therefore being fully optional.

Me, personally, when I get the truck I really want, I'm going all out and applying that video to my entire interior.

If you can't or don't want to find it, I'll grab the link for you later when I get home.

Sent from my magic 5-inch

OP
OP
U
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I found this link is this the correct one?

Do you have recommended cheap speakers for the front doors or maybe all four doors?

Thank you,

Steve

OP
OP
U
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am thinking about these for speakers for my front doors and my boss audio BV9364B stereo I received for Christmas.

I am not looking for perfect audiophile quality just a decent sounding system for my truck.

Thank you,

Steve

Drunken Hamster

Turncoat Ford Boi
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2005
Engine
was 5.7 Hemi
I found this link is this the correct one?

Do you have recommended cheap speakers for the front doors or maybe all four doors?

Thank you,

Steve

Yep, that's the one. Though, I'd extend to using the CLD, CCF, and MLV on BOTH layers of the door[rahter than just the CLD on the inner door skin where he screwed the plate on and reached through the hole, etc.]. Also, I'd be using two layers of CLD as the base, and then, just behind the speaker, DOUBLE the layering of everything. So, 4 layers CLD, 2 layers CCF, and 2 layers of MLV just behind the speaker, with 2 layers CLD, 1 layer CCF, and 1 layer MLV everywhere else. Generally, that is.

As far as speakers go, I'm running kicker CS's in all four door. 6x9 3-way in the fronts, 5.25" coax in the rears. In order to build a simple, low profile, stealthy/sleeper sound system, though, I'd recommend [and am going to do this, myself] running 6x9 components in the front doors WITHOUT the tweeters, 5.25 coax in the rear, and ADD 3.5" coax in the dashboard.

Depending on how many pre-outs your head-unit has, and if one set of them are 'subs' you should run the 6x9's on the subwoofer channel, the 5.25" rears on the rear channel, and the 3.5" in the dash on the front channel.

Then, if your head unit can do it, set custom crossovers/HPF's/LPF's on each channel so that the 6x9's only play up to 150hz, the 5.25's only play DOWN to ~150hz, and the 3.5's only play DOWN to around ~250hz.

Couple all of that with a small amp for each channel that send the speakers all of what they can handle RMS wise, as well as the sound deadening -which is MORE important than amplifying the speakers- and you will have, as far as my theory goes, a very well rounded stealth/low profile/sleeper system that isn't lacking in many areas.

6x9's have a similar surface area to an 8" speaker. And 2 8's equals a little more than a 10"s surface area. So, having 2 6x9's run on the subwoofer channel -especially up front where you'll have good 'impact' should give you around the same bass output as having a single 10" sub, but without taking up any room or functionality from your interior.

Also, as soon as I finish my speaker mounting on the rears [I have to drill new holes for bolts since the stock rears are 3-point mounted, and any new speaker above 4" is 4 point mounted] I'll post up my install gallery explaining how to get everything done, particularly the kicker 6x9's in the front doors since if you try to just put them in, they'll prevent the window from going down by about 3/8's an inch of non clearance.

You'll see what I mean in the pics and explanation. Either way, this is the system/setup I'm going to try once I get my single cab. If it turns out that your head unit doesn't have 3 pre-outs including a 'subwoofer' channel, and can't set crossover/high pass filters on the front/rear channels/low pass filter on the subwoofer channel, then I have a working recommendation for a cheap single din that will more than get the job done, IMO, if you get around it's 2 or 3 little quirks. Which, given my tutelage, you can.

Funny enough, said head unit was the reason I said "Hope you didn't buy a fuckwood. [Kenwood]" until I figured out what the problem was and fixed it. THAT will be in a review of my head unit that I may or may not make. Either way, if your headunit doesn't work out like it needs to for this setup/project and you want the single din Kenwood {it's only ~$130 retail at best buy} then I can easily point out the 3 quirks and how to avoid them for you.

EDIT:: Actually, I think for sound deadening, I'm just gonna go double layers on everything and just get thinner CCF separator. I believe it comes in 0.5" thickness, normally, so I might get 0.25" thickness and layer everything as follows:

CLD, CLD, CCF, MLV, CCF, MLV.

THAT should give me the best result since using the CCF separates and isolates the previous layers and surfaces from the MLV, which is what reduces airborne and road noise. Yeah. And then maybe not worry about an extra thickness directly behind the speaker, or just up everything to 3 layers there instead of 2 each. Hmm.

Oh, by the way, CLD is the acronym for "Constrained layer dampening", CCF stands for "Closed cell foam" aka "decoupler foam" which, as stated, decouples and separates the CLD and MLV from each other so they can function without interfering with each other. Oh, and MLV is "Mass Loaded Vinyl", so yeah.

Last edited:

nekkidhillbilly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
foam baffles will be a lot less work do the same thing basically

charles.tinsley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi Magnum
Bypass the amp using a harness. I actually wired my front door speakers to the front speaker output (6x9 infinity) and used my speakers in rear door as base

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Bypass the amp using a harness. I actually wired my front door speakers to the front speaker output (6x9 infinity) and used my speakers in rear door as base
From the info that he’s posted so far, he does not have an amp.

Drunken Hamster

Turncoat Ford Boi
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2005
Engine
was 5.7 Hemi

From the info that he’s posted so far, he does not have an amp.

Exactly. And, Charlie, using your 5.25's as subwoofers is a poor decision. If you aren't going to run the front 6x9's as subs, the rear 5.25's as rears, and then install 3.5's in the dash and run those as fronts, then you should run the 6x9's as fronts, and the 5.25's as rears with no sub channel and the speakers will handle it from there. Assuming you have 3-way 6x9's and coax 5.25's.

charles.tinsley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi Magnum
Exactly. And, Charlie, using your 5.25's as subwoofers is a poor decision. If you aren't going to run the front 6x9's as subs, the rear 5.25's as rears, and then install 3.5's in the dash and run those as fronts, then you should run the 6x9's as fronts, and the 5.25's as rears with no sub channel and the speakers will handle it from there. Assuming you have 3-way 6x9's and coax 5.25's.
I didn't say I ran the rears as subwoofers. I ran them as bass. In other words i set the crossovers to limit the treble. Sorry I should have been clearer.
I put in new speakers all the way around including dash. Sounds really good.
Maybe one day i will put subs under seat but no plans to now.
No I did use an amp. The touchscreen i put in had plenty of power to do the job.
I didn't use 6x9's as bass because i like bass coming from behind not the side. Although the 6x9's do provide some bass of course.

Drunken Hamster

Turncoat Ford Boi
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2005
Engine
was 5.7 Hemi
I didn't say I ran the rears as subwoofers. I ran them as bass. In other words i set the crossovers to limit the treble. Sorry I should have been clearer.
I put in new speakers all the way around including dash. Sounds really good.
Maybe one day i will put subs under seat but no plans to now.
No I did use an amp. The touchscreen i put in had plenty of power to do the job.
I didn't use 6x9's as bass because i like bass coming from behind not the side. Although the 6x9's do provide some bass of course.

Meh. My bad, I guess. It's kinda the same as running them as subs, though. Unless you meant that you cut the treble through EQ and not a pass filter. IMO, if I could, I'd run 8" subs in the front doors, ~6.5" coax woofers behind me, and 4" mids in the dash.

But that'd require modding. Especially to get subs [even just a 6.5" or 8"] in the 3rd gen doors as there's only ~3.5" of mounting depth from the sheet metal to the window when it's rolled down, and I doubt there's equally that much between the sheet metal and the speaker grill on the door panel.

4g doors have the speaker mount down low, making it easier in theory. Kinda makes me want to frankenstein some 3g and 4g door panels together, but, no matter what I do, I DON'T want to impose on or limit cabin space or functionality with intruding audio parts like a standalone sub, or amps everywhere or something. I want a stealthy slimline sleeper system that has most of the power of what others would make sacrifices to get.

charles.tinsley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi Magnum
Meh. My bad, I guess. It's kinda the same as running them as subs, though. Unless you meant that you cut the treble through EQ and not a pass filter. IMO, if I could, I'd run 8" subs in the front doors, ~6.5" coax woofers behind me, and 4" mids in the dash.

But that'd require modding. Especially to get subs [even just a 6.5" or 8"] in the 3rd gen doors as there's only ~3.5" of mounting depth from the sheet metal to the window when it's rolled down, and I doubt there's equally that much between the sheet metal and the speaker grill on the door panel.

4g doors have the speaker mount down low, making it easier in theory. Kinda makes me want to frankenstein some 3g and 4g door panels together, but, no matter what I do, I DON'T want to impose on or limit cabin space or functionality with intruding audio parts like a standalone sub, or amps everywhere or something. I want a stealthy slimline sleeper system that has most of the power of what others would make sacrifices to get.
Ive thought about opening up the holes in the rear doors and running subs but I really don't want to cut on it.
In any case, it sounds real good as it is. I do have to deaden the doors.

BrandonM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Once it warms up a little bit and I get a weekend I'm going to redo my 2005 stereo.

If you have a good set of dedicated components up front you really shouldn't need a rear stage at all. Unless you have people in your back seat all the time, I don't really think it's necessary to waste money on the back doors (except for deadening them if you're doing a subwoofer install as well). I'm going to run a pair of 6.5" midbass in the doors, and a pair of tweeters on the A-pillars more than likely. I'll have 2 12" under the rear seat.

"Deadening like a pro" is actually really expensive and unless you're going for an all out competition SQ install, it's not really necessary IMO. I put a layer of at least 80mil thick butyl-based (IMPORTANT) deadener on the outer door skin, and then one on the inner door metal, and then deaden the door panel with 1 layer as well. I'm also a fan of doing larger panels as they have the tendency to flex/rattle the most. Foam speaker baffles will suffice enough to get a decent amount of midbass out of your doors. Like I said, unless you're ready to spend $$$$ on a "proper" deaden and SQ setup, I wouldn't worry to much about it.

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Once it warms up a little bit and I get a weekend I'm going to redo my 2005 stereo.

If you have a good set of dedicated components up front you really shouldn't need a rear stage at all. Unless you have people in your back seat all the time, I don't really think it's necessary to waste money on the back doors (except for deadening them if you're doing a subwoofer install as well). I'm going to run a pair of 6.5" midbass in the doors, and a pair of tweeters on the A-pillars more than likely. I'll have 2 12" under the rear seat.

"Deadening like a pro" is actually really expensive and unless you're going for an all out competition SQ install, it's not really necessary IMO. I put a layer of at least 80mil thick butyl-based (IMPORTANT) deadener on the outer door skin, and then one on the inner door metal, and then deaden the door panel with 1 layer as well. I'm also a fan of doing larger panels as they have the tendency to flex/rattle the most. Foam speaker baffles will suffice enough to get a decent amount of midbass out of your doors. Like I said, unless you're ready to spend $$$$ on a "proper" deaden and SQ setup, I wouldn't worry to much about it.
While I agree with you about the sound deadening, I’ve always thought that paying no attention to the rear speakers when doing an audio system is kind of like half assing it, no offense lol. Everyone always says don’t waste your money amping, upgrading, or even running rear speakers at all, but the rears fill in a lot more dead spots than people think, and contribute a lot to the “staging” of the system. It’s just like a surround sound system in your house or a theater. If you’re on an extremely tight budget, then yes you can skimp on the backs, but if you’re not, there’s no reason not to give them just as much attention as the fronts. And plus, for me, when I do something, I don’t like losing any functionality as far as what the vehicle came with stock.

BrandonM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
While I agree with you about the sound deadening, I’ve always thought that paying no attention to the rear speakers when doing an audio system is kind of like half assing it, no offense lol. Everyone always says don’t waste your money amping, upgrading, or even running rear speakers at all, but the rears fill in a lot more dead spots than people think, and contribute a lot to the “staging” of the system. It’s just like a surround sound system in your house or a theater. If you’re on an extremely tight budget, then yes you can skimp on the backs, but if you’re not, there’s no reason not to give them just as much attention as the fronts. And plus, for me, when I do something, I don’t like losing any functionality as far as what the vehicle came with stock.

None taken! To each his own. I've been building car stereos for over 10 years now and literally have never had/needed rears unless they came stock with the car I purchased before I ripped them out. You have highs, mids, and lows -- everything else can be handled with install. Time alignment and setting the x-over frequencies correctly go a lonnngggggg way. A 100w subwoofer in a room sounds massive, and a 100w subwoofer in a car sounds like stock 6x9's, so I don't really like comparing home/pro and car audio installations.

I'm not losing any functionality, actually I'm adding complete control over the sound in my truck :) I'm the only one ever in the truck (wife on occasion) and never in the back seat, so it does not make sense for me to have anything back there when running active tweet/mid/sub stages. You will not be able to tell where the music is coming from when you close your eyes.