09 ram instrument cluster/radio/wipers/headlights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ctwalton15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello, I've got an issue that developed just within the past week. Last Monday I drove the truck and 1 time the instrument cluster beeped and damn near all of the lights came on including all of the prndl lights to come on as well as the tach and spedo dropping off and with the info center saying low fuel, radio off, and not displaying an outside temp anymore. My wipers will turn on while being selected off, my radio shuts off, if my headlights are off, they will turn on then off, blinkers stop working.

This happened 1 time on Monday, and Tuesday I had my work truck so I didn't drive it. Wednesday I drove it and happened like 3 times on the way home seems like it was associated with hitting bumps. thursday seems like it was every bump. And last night, I hit the remote start on it, and it started fine. went outside to leave and heard my windshield wipers going screeching on the window and get in the truck to see that the dash is lit up and, keeps dinging and just won't stop doing it. took it around the block and probably 90% of the time it was doing it. I just pulled out the TIPM this morning thinking some corroded or loose terminals but all the terminals look clean and don't seen any signs of any mishap....

my remote start is not factory so I went ahead and unplugged it and plugged the harness back into the WIN (i believe is whats it called) module like it was in stock form and still continued.

there is a video a gentleman posted on youtube that shows the EXACT same thing. I wanted to know if anyone has had any issues with this or solutions possibly....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dOzcggK-Zo

OP
OP
ctwalton15

ctwalton15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have not tested the battery yet, I know its at least 3 years old. I'll have to test it.

awdodge1776

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2012 Ram 1500 4x4 with the 5.7 Hemi started doing random thing 2 days ago. The fuel pump was on after the truck was off and then it wasnt coming on, random dash lights, said no fuel..I went to gas station and it only took 5 gal to top it off so i knew that wasnt true...the radio for several months has not had volume but occassionally it turns on and blasts volume at high level then turns off. Just all kinds of electrical gremlins. It almost left me stranded 30 minutes from home last night after not starting. Battery is only a few months old.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Some of the things I would check would be:

1) Battery ..as stated above. Need to do a load test. Places which sell batteries can usually do them for free (Napa, Autozone, OReilly, Walmart, Some Farm & Barn places). Also have them test alternator output.

2) Battery connections Use a terminal cleaner, make sure they're good & clean. Loosen and wiggle any cable-bolts at the battery terminal connectors.

3) Grounds. Esp the battery->body ground.

4) Check fuses ...they work themselves "up" sometimes. Push down on them.

5) WIN Module

6) Alternator pulley ribs. A pulley can get worn from continued minor slipping on a glazed or loose belt. Then the grooves become too wide and don't fit into a belt well (even a new belt). Then the alternator can spin (unbeknownst to the driver) going down the road as high load items are called upon: lights, blower, seat heater, wipers. Conditions which occur in the winter. It can cause the battery to become low and the conditions the OP described. Inspect the pulley for 'sharp' peaks. A good pulley the 'ribs' sticking up should have a very small flat area on their peak between each rib.

Good luck. Let us know what you find out

Last edited:

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
A fuel pump staying on after the truck shut off could be a bad ground or ...again, low battery, bad connections. These trucks, the computer acts real flaky when the batteries fail, or get real low, or cable connections become poor.

Also check the fuses and wiggle the relays in the fuse-box area. There are major grounds back behind the fuel filler neck area (on my tk at least). Might not hurt to eyeball those. It's possible a fuel pump relay is sticking..could try swapping with another (like) relay in the fuse box. Also possible the WIN module contacts need cleaning or a cold solder joint. Go to Y/T and look up "WIN Module Ram"

Good luck

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It's possible your battery is 'good' but your alternator isn't charging enough (bad connections, worn pulley, etc). Or maybe the battery just "is" bad?? Charge it up fully, which takes quite a while, let it sit 10 min before doing a load test. One of THESE will do the job. Or take it to a part's store for a free test. Preferably where you'll buy a replacement if it fails.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357