Turning lights off

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Where in AlfaOBD do you add the option for the DRL on/off switch to appear on the radio?

I would never want to disable all lights while driving but it sure would be nice while parked. :cool:

CBC Features: DRL Configuration- OPTIONAL DRT

CustSetMenu 1: Daytime running lights CSM Present- YES

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I ask because if that is the case you should be able to add the soft key to turn them off. But I've seen some Canadianized vehicles in the past that were on at startup and wasn't as easy to disable. Sounds like you should have no worry.

That sounds like great news, thanks.

I might rarely choose to disable all my exterior lights but I hate to be nannied.

Like driving home late last night, on an old and quiet rural road. The moon looked spectacular with a thin crescent shape and intermittent distortions from the drifting cloud cover.

Yes, I stopped in the middle of a darkened road and set the exterior lights to DRL on only, but they were enough to disturb the view. :cool:

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I often think we are not really helping ourselves as we continually seek to preserve the shallow end of the gene pool.

This may seem callous, and maybe I am, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything, and let the problem solve itself?

Folks driving at night, no lights, or driving in inclement weather (sometimes at night!) and still not lights.
I suppose it doesn't help that so many dashboards are LED-lit and are always on, day and night, and an idiot operator who sees the dash lights on and thinks that the headlights are on as well.

My USA 2014 Laramie lets me turn everything off or on as I choose. But I guess I got into the habit of running with lights on while driving a company car for 25 years.
I will say that I did learn to wear a seatbelt the hard way. I had a horrendous accident in November, 1984. The EMT's and cops were frankly surprised that I'd survived. I wasn't wearing a seatbelt.
Fast forward 2 years, and wouldn't you know, I had an identical accident, except I WAS wearing my seatbelt that time and suffered only bruising and soreness. Both accidents were the other drivers' fault.

Needless to say, now going on 40 years, I feel strange when not wearing my seatbelt in the car, to the point of "Oh! Yeah! buckle up!" whenever I'm in a car.... even the rear seat. So, when the idiot reminder in my 2004 Ford Ranger Edge goes off because I've moved forward 2 feet and I'm in the process of buckling up....I just shake my head! I also lock the doors and do not rely on automation for that... and so on!

I'm reminiscent of my dearly departed Father... "Let him stick his finger in the electrical outlet! He'll learn" while Mom was having a fit.... sure enough, after suffering a severe shock and a blackened fingernail, I damned sure learned!

NETim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I'm reminiscent of my dearly departed Father... "Let him stick his finger in the electrical outlet! He'll learn" while Mom was having a fit.... sure enough, after suffering a severe shock and a blackened fingernail, I damned sure learned!
That was my Dad's approach to raising six boys. We were supposed to figure it out. :)

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That was my Dad's approach to raising six boys. We were supposed to figure it out. :)
Funny thing... we had a heavy Zenith TV on a rickety metal TV stand when I was growing up. Decades later, when Jeff Foxworthy was talking about our generation of childhood safety issues (dangers), and he quoted his Dad as having said "Let him pull that 900 pound TV over on himself, He'll learn", I laughed till my ribs were sore!

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That sounds like great news, thanks.

I might rarely choose to disable all my exterior lights but I hate to be nannied.

Like driving home late last night, on an old and quiet rural road. The moon looked spectacular with a thin crescent shape and intermittent distortions from the drifting cloud cover.

Yes, I stopped in the middle of a darkened road and set the exterior lights to DRL on only, but they were enough to disturb the view. :cool:

If I was correctly informed, Canada has had mandatory DRL use for a very long time, Correct? And it may be that the manufacturers design that feature in as a default, with no operator control. Just saying! :)

NETim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I will say that I did learn to wear a seatbelt the hard way. I had a horrendous accident in November, 1984. The EMT's and cops were frankly surprised that I'd survived. I wasn't wearing a seatbelt.
Fast forward 2 years, and wouldn't you know, I had an identical accident, except I WAS wearing my seatbelt that time and suffered only bruising and soreness. Both accidents were the other drivers' fault.

Needless to say, now going on 40 years, I feel strange when not wearing my seatbelt in the car, to the point of "Oh! Yeah! buckle up!" whenever I'm in a car.... even the rear seat. So, when the idiot reminder in my 2004 Ford Ranger Edge goes off because I've moved forward 2 feet and I'm in the process of buckling up....I just shake my head! I also lock the doors and do not rely on automation for that... and so on!

Carlos Mencia - Not for the Easily Offended. Warning: Mucho Adult Langauge

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There were few times Dad interfered with me growing up regarding safety. One such time was when I commenced to add refrigerant to a old Olds Cutlass that I owned. I was going to use one of those can with hose kits popular back in the early '70s. Dad stopped me and asked what my life was worth to me, and admonished that I should go get a set of gauges from the parts store so I could monitor pressure (especially low side) so the can would not explode in the event of system malfunction.

I listened and bought the gauge set. It was about 20 dollars or so, the equivalent of about 200 dollars today. There turned out that the A/C system was fine and the repair went uneventfully. I wore goggles, too, at Dad's behest.
I still have that gauge set in a box somewhere. R12 is no longer used, but there is such a thing as posterity! :)

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
There were few times Dad interfered with me growing up regarding safety. One such time was when I commenced to add refrigerant to a old Olds Cutlass that I owned. I was going to use one of those can with hose kits popular back in the early '70s. Dad stopped me and asked what my life was worth to me, and admonished that I should go get a set of gauges from the parts store so I could monitor pressure (especially low side) so the can would not explode in the event of system malfunction.

I listened and bought the gauge set. It was about 20 dollars or so, the equivalent of about 200 dollars today. There turned out that the A/C system was fine and the repair went uneventfully. I wore goggles, too, at Dad's behest.
I still have that gauge set in a box somewhere. R12 is no longer used, but there is such a thing as posterity! :)
I never did get the gauge set. I just connected the can to the low side with the included short length of hose, turned it upside down, and pushed the button. Supposedly, the system wouldn't take more than it needed and when the can stopped frosting up you were done. Probably lucky I didn't 'splode sumthin.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I never did get the gauge set. I just connected the can to the low side with the included short length of hose, turned it upside down, and pushed the button. Supposedly, the system wouldn't take more than it needed and when the can stopped frosting up you were done. Probably lucky I didn't 'splode sumthin.
A friend of mine did that not long before Dad cautioned me about it. He did not know that his A/C had a failed component, allowing high pressure to back up into the low side. The can exploded, and caused him severe brain injury.
He languished in a hospital/ rehab for months and died.

Years later, a fellow body technician at a dealer I worked for (late '90s) was using the hose/ can trick on his older model F-150. He had a malfunction and the can exploded. The shrapnel just missed his head and decimated the hood of that truck... and that was a heavy metal hood of yesteryear! He was deaf in that ear for a month. It turned out that the F-150 incident used a "modern" refrigerant can with a scored can bottom to let the bottom blow out, instead of the entire can becoming a hand grenade. This guy was holding the can in his hand, and it did absolutely no harm to his hand! He eventually recovered with nothing hurt but his pride!

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
A friend of mine did that not long before Dad cautioned me about it. He did not know that his A/C had a failed component, allowing high pressure to back up into the low side. The can exploded, and caused him severe brain injury.
He languished in a hospital/ rehab for months and died.

Years later, a fellow body technician at a dealer I worked for (late '90s) was using the hose/ can trick on his older model F-150. He had a malfunction and the can exploded. The shrapnel just missed his head and decimated the hood of that truck... and that was a heavy metal hood of yesteryear! He was deaf in that ear for a month. It turned out that the F-150 incident used a "modern" refrigerant can with a scored can bottom to let the bottom blow out, instead of the entire can becoming a hand grenade. This guy was holding the can in his hand, and it did absolutely no harm to his hand! He eventually recovered with nothing hurt but his pride!
Yeah, the only vehicle I ever did that with was my 1987 Ford Ranger. By the time I got my 2000 Silverado they had changed the refrigerant, and I think also by that time they had made it so that the home mechanic needed a license to buy it.

I had a friend who was a former Ford mechanic and in the early 90's he knew that R-12 was going to be discontinued, and he had just bought a new truck that used it and he didn't want to have to pay someone to recharge his system in the future, so he bought about 50 of the 1-pound cans so he could continue to do it himself. And, of course, he did it for others who hadn't been so far-seeing...for a small price, of course. :hat:

Last edited:

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If I was correctly informed, Canada has had mandatory DRL use for a very long time, Correct? And it may be that the manufacturers design that feature in as a default, with no operator control. Just saying! :)

Yes, you were correctly informed. DRL's started being required in the late 80s or early 90s in Canadastan, IIRC.

And yes, a Canadian OEM Ram has no option to disable the DRL.

I'm hoping that AlfaOBD will allow me to correct that nanny.

The truck was still made in Michigan and just received the special tweaks for our market specific requirements.

I'm hoping that AlfaOBD will assist me to correct those tweaks and I can say goodbye to another silly nanny.

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
We had a 1998 GMC Safari with DRLs. They would turn off if you set the E-brake, so I suppose it would have been a simple matter to wire in another switch to enable/disable them. I suppose they need to be working for annual (?) Provincial inspection?

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
We had a 1998 GMC Safari with DRLs. They would turn off if you set the E-brake, so I suppose it would have been a simple matter to wire in another switch to enable/disable them. I suppose they need to be working for annual (?) Provincial inspection?

Fortunately for me and other Ontarians, there is no annual inspections here.

I know they do that in Quebec and some of the other provinces though.

In Ontario, Safety checks from a ministry authorized inspector are only required when vehicles are registered after a sale.

I believe they should stop playing games and abolish these DRL and simply have all the exterior lights automatically enabled when you move the transmission into gear.

Naturally, I'll want an override ability but we know that will never be an OEM feature.

Most vehicles with DRL and automatic exterior lights up here do not illuminate soon enough and obviously most drivers don't have sufficient awareness to manually engage lighting.

After retiring, years ago, I was the official chauffeur for my former GF and drove her to work daily.

A little game I used to keep my mind busy while driving was to count cars with DRL and no other exterior lighting versus all lights on when it was obviously too dark to not have all lights on..

It appeared to me that about 70-80% of drivers were not properly illuminated during the low light conditions and was typically a bit worse for end of day commuters versus the AM crowd.

Last edited:

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
My auto lights come on in the garage , facing south during the day, which is a pita as the backup camera and dash will all go into night mode, I know, I have mirrors It seems to be quite sensitive.
I have to remember to turn the lights on in her car ,if I drive it.

There was a case little while with someone on the highway with no lights, drunk I think and caused a wreck.
Most problems seem to be with idiots and their phones these days.

That was the cause of my 2010 Laramie getting destroyed, by a guy on the phone at 100+km.
He beat the charge because the police office on the report could not be bothered to show in court 3 times. It's a $250.oo fine if you have your phone in your hand while driving, but that don't seem to matter.

Sask., Ca has no inspections on non commercial if it has always been here, you bring a used one in, then it has to be inspected before you can get plates.

Sherman Bird, Do I understand you said you are against DUI reporting and interlocks? I hope I misread your post.

Last edited:

Weebear

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram Rebel
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
I often think we are not really helping ourselves as we continually seek to preserve the shallow end of the gene pool.

This may seem callous, and maybe I am, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything, and let the problem solve itself?

Folks driving at night, no lights, or driving in inclement weather (sometimes at night!) and still not lights.
I suppose it doesn't help that so many dashboards are LED-lit and are always on, day and night, and an idiot operator who sees the dash lights on and thinks that the headlights are on as well.

My USA 2014 Laramie lets me turn everything off or on as I choose. But I guess I got into the habit of running with lights on while driving a company car for 25 years.
"I often think we are not really helping ourselves as we continually seek to preserve the shallow end of the gene pool.

This may seem callous, and maybe I am, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything, and let the problem solve itself?"

I don't want to get into any kind of philosophical/religious debate with anyone - but we are getting to the point where there are people that both do not believe in creationism but also appear to want to stop evolution as well!

I am with you - take the labels off of everything. If Doofus 1 and Doofus 2 want to iron clothes in the shower, let them! If they want to eat paint, "let'em have a Sherwin Williams Christmas"! (credit to a comedian whose name I cannot remember offhand)

Weebear

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram Rebel
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
Funny thing... we had a heavy Zenith TV on a rickety metal TV stand when I was growing up. Decades later, when Jeff Foxworthy was talking about our generation of childhood safety issues (dangers), and he quoted his Dad as having said "Let him pull that 900 pound TV over on himself, He'll learn", I laughed till my ribs were sore!
I remember those old, big, TVs on the metal tray stands. I learned about it as I served as my Dad's original "remote control" for the TV!

Weebear

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram Rebel
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
Carlos Mencia - Not for the Easily Offended. Warning: Mucho Adult Langauge

I will see your Carlos Mencia . . . and raise you one Christopher Titus.