Intake Manifolds, Carburetor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mill.Specs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L Magnum
I am new to dodge trucks.
I purchased a Ram 1500 that has the 5.2L Magnum V8.
I want to remove the electronic injection and put a carb setup on the tuck.

Q: Which Manifold am I looking for?
Mopar Small Block, LA or Magnum?

From what I have read, the 5.2 is a 318.

Q: Do Most of the top end parts interchange?

The truck is for off-road use.
I'm not worried about emissions laws. Just performance.

Thanks, Joe.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Magnum and most of them do.

The problem you'll have is the fact that you'll have no way of controlling your transmission unless you go manual. Then you'll have no way of your gauges working. All the gauges can be replaced with manual-type gauges that don't rely on your PCM, but the speedometer would be an issue unless you will be using the truck in an off road area that is not speed limited.

leadrofthepak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You will get more reliable power from the efi than a comparable carburetor with the stock set up. Now, if you are changing heads, cam, pistons, etc. a carb will be a better off-road performer. DD94 is right, no efi , no automatic transmission response, no guages, I am not even sure the fuel pump will work for a carburetor. Keep us informed on your off-road project :) Would be interesting to see your results!

OP
OP
M

Mill.Specs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L Magnum
Magnum and most of them do.
The problem you'll have is the fact that you'll have no way of controlling your transmission unless you go manual. Then you'll have no way of your gauges working. All the gauges can be replaced with manual-type gauges that don't rely on your PCM, but the speedometer would be an issue unless you will be using the truck in an off road area that is not speed limited.

You will get more reliable power from the efi than a comparable carburetor with the stock set up. Now, if you are changing heads, cam, pistons, etc. a carb will be a better off-road performer. DD94 is right, no efi , no automatic transmission response, no guages, I am not even sure the fuel pump will work for a carburetor. Keep us informed on your off-road project :) Would be interesting to see your results!

Thanks for the info guys.
(1) The trans & rear diff are being swapped with a Ford C6 & 9" Rear combo.
That's how we roll in the desert.

(2) The entire dash is long gone.
The cab is being caged out

I did some more reading. I do need the Magnum manifold.
I'm dropping the injection, I'm converting to propane.
More power for Less $$, Low operational cost, Safer, No smog.