Intake replacement on 5.9

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mysfyt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
2003 ram 5.9. Overhauled the engine last winter and replaced the heads with aftermarket stock heads. Did the UTAwesome kegger mods including their wedge installed. Very disappointed with the engines top end performance and fuel mileage. Getting around 11-12 highway at best. Needs a lot of pedal and trans downshift to get up even small hills.

Grandson drove this truck B4 the overhaul and said it was noticeably better. He thinks the intake mods are choking it instead of helping. I tend to agree. Replaced the cat last week thinking it was partially plugged but it really wasn’t. Would like to install the Hughes F1 airgap but they just can’t be had at the moment. Contacted them and they said maybe by Christmas if lucky.

So now to my point. I have the ability to modify an intake for the mpi. Lets say an Edelbrock dual plane airgap for a carb conversion where I could modify and machine it for the injectors. Am I wasting my time with the stock heads? Anybody install the Hughes F1 with the stock heads and if so, how was the performance?

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
2bbl m1/Airgap are worth about 30whp vs the kegger when using stock cam and heads WITH a proper tune. I wouldn’t do any of this without a proper tune. For that contact FRPTuning. I wouldn’t go to Utawesome for anything but his tb and that’s a stretch tbh