Intermittent AC issues on Gen 4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scrowe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Trubo diesel
My 2014 Ram 3500 Tradesman's AC started acting up. One day it was on high and was barely blowing. Another day it was set to max and cold, and it was blowing hot air. Once I reached my destination, I turned it off and back on and it started blowing cold air. The Recirculation and AC lights are lit but blink 3 times when I press them and stay on. Because it has multiple issues with no reason why my assumption is it is the A/C And Heater Control (have not had it scanned because I don't have a scan tool that will read the AC). I went online and ordered a head unit but got an email from the parts house saying I ordered wrong based on my VIN and I needed a different part (68268189AA) that is on back order with No ETA. I looked online for the part number and some sites show backorder while others show discontinued. I did pull the bezel and see P68226600AA on the back of my unit. One site shows OEM / Interchange Numbers: 68105021AF, 68186217AB, 68226600AA but I can't find new parts for these either. or even know if they are correct other than 68226600AA.

Do you agree it is likely the A/C And Heater Control without scanning and if I find one do, I still have to have it programmed at the dealership once installed?

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
If you want something that will read all of the modules get the correct wireless OBD dongle and AlfaOBD software. It reads all Chrysler products and some others if I recall right.
Here's a link to what it does:

bigdodge

Reaction score
Blend doors are not a typical problem on the newer 4th gens that I have seen. Alphaobd would be able to tell you the fault. That's the key

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
My 2014 Ram 3500 Tradesman's AC started acting up. One day it was on high and was barely blowing. Another day it was set to max and cold, and it was blowing hot air. Once I reached my destination, I turned it off and back on and it started blowing cold air. The Recirculation and AC lights are lit but blink 3 times when I press them and stay on. Because it has multiple issues with no reason why my assumption is it is the A/C And Heater Control (have not had it scanned because I don't have a scan tool that will read the AC). I went online and ordered a head unit but got an email from the parts house saying I ordered wrong based on my VIN and I needed a different part (68268189AA) that is on back order with No ETA. I looked online for the part number and some sites show backorder while others show discontinued. I did pull the bezel and see P68226600AA on the back of my unit. One site shows OEM / Interchange Numbers: 68105021AF, 68186217AB, 68226600AA but I can't find new parts for these either. or even know if they are correct other than 68226600AA.

Do you agree it is likely the A/C And Heater Control without scanning and if I find one do, I still have to have it programmed at the dealership once installed?
What does the current HVAC/dash and radio area look like??

Do you have the 8.4 radio? (Or smaller 3"/5"?)

Edit:
Based on your bezel part number search, you likely have the smaller radio with manual Hvac control/radio bezel and 4 fan speeds ( vs 7 speed).

If so, any 2013-18 2500/3500 4speed manual fan bezel should work...
Here's one of the 68268189AA PNs

Last edited:

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I wanted to nudge this thread to see what the solution was.
I am experiencing some of these symptoms. Intermittently my AC will not command on by the HVAC controls. I have the lower-end manual 3 knob unit. Also with the intermittent AC I experience speed 7/High will not work. On one occasion I leaned over and smacked the glove box and High immediately engaged.
For the AC if I work some voodoo with on/off, depress on/off defrost button, recirc, etc the AC engages. Its total witchcraft. Its like it will not command on. I see there is no traditional relay in the TIPM either.
The AC is very cold and consistent, zero humidity.
I am considering replacing the HVAC control unit and the blower resistor.
Thoughts?

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My recommedation on a problem like above would be to disconnect the battery cables for a while and let the modules drain. But also to ensure the connections were good and clean, and the battery-to-body grounds were good. Also there is a major ground point above the F/L tire and back by the gas tank filler tube which should be checked for good contact. Esp for guys who live in the rusty north. Then wiggle the connections on the HVAC controller & associated fuses and fan relay. These are all things that don't cost any money, but 'could' possibly cause a controller to act flaky.

It's a good place to start anyway.

gnut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins
I wanted to nudge this thread to see what the solution was.
I am experiencing some of these symptoms. Intermittently my AC will not command on by the HVAC controls. I have the lower-end manual 3 knob unit. Also with the intermittent AC I experience speed 7/High will not work. On one occasion I leaned over and smacked the glove box and High immediately engaged.
For the AC if I work some voodoo with on/off, depress on/off defrost button, recirc, etc the AC engages. Its total witchcraft. Its like it will not command on. I see there is no traditional relay in the TIPM either.
The AC is very cold and consistent, zero humidity.
I am considering replacing the HVAC control unit and the blower resistor.
Thoughts?
Did you ever figure it out? Exact same issue. Turn knobs back and forth, truck off/on, heat on off ac on off it magically starts working again. Could it be the blend door? Did you find out what you problem was?

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
My '15 with 183k will sometimes not blow when the truck is started, but a quick smack to the bottom of the glovebox remedies it. Thinking it's time for a new blower motor because of brushes being worn out.

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did you ever figure it out? Exact same issue. Turn knobs back and forth, truck off/on, heat on off ac on off it magically starts working again. Could it be the blend door? Did you find out what you problem was?
Installed a new battery. A h8/Group 49 AGM. Everything is fine since.