Antifreeze Testing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Daniel12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
Hello,

I recently did a coolant flush on my truck and refilled with Mopar OAT 10 year coolant as suggested in the forum. I've been having a hard time trying to find out if my mixture is correct.

At first I was using a bulb tester to check my mixture. After trying to correct it several times and 3 jugs of antifreeze later at $56 CAD a jug, I figured something must be off with my tester. There is not a full 3 jugs in the system as I have dumped some from the system several times to add more concentrate. The number on the bulb tester was climbing but not at the rate I was expecting to see based on the amount of coolant I had added to the system. I stopped testing with this method at -30c (-22F).

I then purchased the refractometer listed below. The reading I received from this had a much lower freeze point at -44c (-47F). Now I'm confused on which one I should believe. From the reading I've done on the topic, neither will give a 100% accurate reading due to the chemistry of OAT coolant. I'm wondering what method you guys use to check your mixture and which you find to be more accurate.

I noticed that other ads for a similar refractometer mention not to use it with OAT coolants and some do not.

Lesson learned for the next flush. I will just drain whatever water I can from the system, calculate 50% of the system capacity and dump concentrate in. The fill the remaining space with distilled water.

Thanks

Links:

Refractometer - https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07DLDZFJX?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
Bulb Tester - https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0BS6K7TY7?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

OP
OP
D

Daniel12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members