Intermittent braking issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ryan Lomba

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I’ve got a brake issue on my 2014 5.7L hemi. After i did the brakes, i noticed a strange phenomenon: any time i go over a big bump, curb, etc., something that really jostled the truck side to side, the next time i hit the brakes, they’re just about gone. Then i pump the brakes a few times, and they come right back. I’m not super worried about it, but it is an unsettling feeling. I’m wondering if this is something to do with the ABS, or more of a brake bleeding issue. I didn’t bleed after replacing the pads and getting the rotors turned. Some friends have suggested master cylinder replacement also.

NJMOPAR

Older and faster
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Measure the rotors, might have taken too much off. Do a bleed and change the fluid if it's black.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Measure the rotors, might have taken too much off. Do a bleed and change the fluid if it's black.
Did you experience this brake issue before you replaced the brake pads and had the rotors resurfaced?

How did you press the caliper pistons in to the caliper before installing the new pads? Did you open the bleeder screw at each caliper to make it easier to push the caliper pistons in?

Or did you not touch the bleeder screw and just press them in allowing the brake fluid to migrate back to the master cylinder reservoir?

If you did open the bleeder screws to push the pistons into the caliper, did you refill the master cylinder reservoir and bleed the brakes the correct sequence?

csuder99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you merely changed the pads and rotors (or resurfaced) nothing else should be necessary. It sounds like the pads somehow get away from the rotor and you need to pump to get them into contact again. Double check that everything is assembled correctly and tight.

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
I’ve got a brake issue on my 2014 5.7L hemi. After i did the brakes, i noticed a strange phenomenon: any time i go over a big bump, curb, etc., something that really jostled the truck side to side, the next time i hit the brakes, they’re just about gone. Then i pump the brakes a few times, and they come right back. I’m not super worried about it, but it is an unsettling feeling. I’m wondering if this is something to do with the ABS, or more of a brake bleeding issue. I didn’t bleed after replacing the pads and getting the rotors turned. Some friends have suggested master cylinder replacement also.
Flush all your brake fluid with brand new fluid. You’re supposed to do it every 20-30,000 miles and I bet it was never done. Brake fluid is hygroscopic which means it absorbs water