Truck Shaking While Braking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

k_gomez17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Hey guys, I drive a 2018 1500 Ecodiesel with 76k miles. Around 70k I started noticing the truck slightly shaking when slowing down, I assumed it was rotors so I replaced brakes and rotors. It did not help, since then it has gotten worse, originally only did it while slowing from 10 mph now it does it from about 50 mph while braking only. Recently I have noticed the brake pedal what feels like pushing back at my foot then relaxing when slowing from slower speeds, not like ABS but a softer slower pressure.

I called the dealer asking for advice and they basically told me to bring it in for $500 diagnostic fee. Has anyone else encountered this issue? Any tips or ideas would be much appreciated!

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did you replace all 4 rotors or just the fronts? Still sounds like warped rotors also jack it up check your tie rods ect make sure they dont have any play.

OP
OP
k_gomez17

k_gomez17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
I only replaced the fronts. I also was due for new tires so I got those and an alignment about 1k miles ago. I was not told my tie rods or anything need to be replaced. I’ll jack it up tomorrow and double check. The tech doing my alignment did seem lazy and careless.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
Not only warped rotors but pitted rotors will cause that too. My 2007 or my 2013 (can't remember which) had pitted rotors by about 12,000 miles and were replaced under warranty. My 2018 2500 had pitted rear rotors at about 20,000 miles but I had to replace those on my own. Point being, Ram must use cheap rotors cause they had had issues with pitted rotors and that will cause the pulsating pedal.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I only replaced the fronts. I also was due for new tires so I got those and an alignment about 1k miles ago. I was not told my tie rods or anything need to be replaced. I’ll jack it up tomorrow and double check. The tech doing my alignment did seem lazy and careless.
sounds like you need to replace the rears then if they are orig.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I'm not familiar with the front end of the 1500 but sure sounds like a wheel bearing of some sort. Under load (braking) it's showing its wear.

OP
OP
k_gomez17

k_gomez17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
I’ll have to swap the rear rotors out too now that I know that. I’ve never kept a vehicle long enough to have to replace rear rotors before so that didn’t even cross my mind to check lol hopefully it’s not a wheel bearing. That sounds like more of a pain than just rear rotors. I’m stuck at work until tomorrow morning so I’ll check out the rear rotors and the tie rods for any play when I get home.

Toon12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L V6
I had the same issue. I replaced the front with no improvement. It ended up being the back rotors. One had pitting on the inside surface caused by condensation rusting where the pads had been sitting.
Rotors and pads, Drivers side, Original (1)a.jpg
These rotors only had 30,000 Kms on them but they were 4 years old.

Anti rattle clips, passenger side, installed correctly (8)a.jpg
Hubs painted and new rotors/pads.
Pulsing is now gone.

Last edited:
OP
OP
k_gomez17

k_gomez17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Well, I just got my truck put back together. I definitely did need rear brakes and rotors. That seems to have fixed the pulsating pedal and the major shaking. However I think that was a separate issue from my original problem which started before I replaced my front brakes and rotors. My truck is still shaking/stuttering only when braking and starts at approximately 20 mph until I’m at a stop.

In the last 7k miles I have done front and rear brakes and rotors, checked brake fluid, new tires, and an alignment. Any other ideas? I don’t think it’s tie rods or wheel bearing since it only does it while actively braking, not while coasting to slow or accelerating.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think you're onto something: Check all front-end parts & joints for wear. Then, check your tires with your hands for any bubbles or broken cords. Those can happen.

On rotors, the right way to go about it is to get 3 large nuts that'll fit over your wheel studs (5..even better), and snug the rotors using your lug nuts and a ratchet to hold the rotors in place. Make sure there's no rust flakes under the rotors and whee/axle flange. Then check rotor run-out with a dial indicator to ensure they are at .003" run-out or LESS. Preferably .0000". Rotate the rotor one stud at a time and retighten & re-measure.

You might have gotten some bogus rotors. You wouldn't think so, but I can't recall how often I've received pre-warped rotors out of the box. I've even received pre-warped front wheel bearing/hub assemblies. I take warped rotors back, but I'm sure the parts store just tapes up the box and sells them to the next guy. Maybe you were that 'next guy'?? The only way to know is to measure. You can get a dial indicator with magnetic base from H/F pretty cheap. It's your best friend when doing brakes. I do them at first and don't move on until I know they're perfect. Otherwise a guy can waste an enormous amount of time chasing vibrations. And the only way to really resolve them is to measure and correct the warped one. You'll use that tool more than you think...

Good luck

Last edited:

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
Do you ever perform annual (late spring to early summer is best time) front and rear caliper/pad service?

Pull the slider pins out, wire wheel them, lube them and reinsert, and then block the pads, plus clean and lubricate the sliders, too? Strongly recommend you do this moving forward to ensure longevity and even solid braking at all times.

Also, have you ever done a brake fluid flush and fill? This is a very important item to not overlook when it comes to brakes.

Ever 3 to 4 years one should consider doing this as moisture accumulates in the fluid system and thwarts its performance and dependability, regardless of mileage and/or usage.

Toon12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L V6
It's possible you have a bad wheel sensor for the anti-lock brakes. That would make the brakes pulsate. I don't know how you could determine which wheel it is but someone here might know if an OBD11 reader would give you some insight.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Unless there's some wonky problem with the ABS module??

Jim BB

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I would be checking for worn front end components there is only a few things that will give you brake pedal pulsation,vibration or steering wheel shake or vibration in a braking situation ! 1) brake rotors and pads so since you say you have replaced them I would go to second one ! 2) front end components Ie inner and outer tie rod ends , upper and lower ball joints , and wheel bearings ! that being said have you heard noises while driving at low speed and if you turn your steering wheel it gets louder or goes away it is wheel bearing ! and again that being said it also will cause a vibration ( shake ) under braking conditions sometimes!
Please keep us posted on what you find!

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
I’ve heard of that type of issue with a pcm that didn’t recognize deceleration and the transmission wouldn’t synchronize with engine and wheel speed .. but not ever with a RAM truck maybe it’s a combination of issues with throttle response ?

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
“Bent” Dust Shields sometimes can interfere with Wheel Speed Sensor Operation causing braking pulsation .

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When they replaced the rotors did, they use a flap disc to clean off any rust on the wheel hub, a little grit on it will cause the rotor to not surface properly and cause a steering wheel shake.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357