Intermittent rough idle then stall

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
I've searched around a bit and haven't found anything similar to my problem.

The issue i'm experiencing started about 8-10 months after I swapped my old 5.2l with a 5.9. I used the PCM from the 5.9 and replaced the cam and crank sensors when I did the swap. I have done the plenum repair, replaced plugs, wires, cap and rotor. My compression is good and all cylinders are similar, I don't remember the exact numbers but they were good after the swap.

What will happen is after a seemingly random amount of time driving and idling, the truck will start to run rough near idle. It shakes and drops RPM to under 600 and has trouble staying running. Giving it a little gas does not fix the problem and the rpm doesn't really want to increase, jamming the pedal several times will raise the rpm and smooth it out as long as I keep it above 3000rpm. Just flooring it will more often than not fail to raise the RPM and cause it to detonate at WOT at under 1500rpm.

I've already replaced the TPS with a proper part, not Chinese cheapness. I can't remember if i've replaced the IAC, but i'm not sure that is the problem as pulling a vacuum line to let in slightly more air doesn't solve the issue. I have not replaced the MAP sensor, it is from my original engine, however it appears to be reading normally when the engine is running properly, about 10-12inhg at idle, 29 when the engine is off. When the engine is idling rough and about to stall the MAP sensor is reading near atmospheric pressure, though i'm not sure if the sensor is malfunctioning or if the engine is just not pulling much vacuum when its running so poorly. There are no vacuum leaks aside from the evap system, but thats been messed up for 4 years.

I'm stumped at this point and am looking at just throwing a MAP sensor at it as its the last thing I can think of besides the PCM being garbage.

Kenny K

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L magnum
I have an 01 1500 with the 5.9L and this has just started happening to me. However, it had only happened right after I started it and drove off coming to my first stop. That same rough running then stall. I also noticed the Purge solenoid clicking loudly. I posted something but no one has replied yet if they do I'll pass on the info. Could I ask you to do the same?

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Dudeman, refresh my memory. Do you have a cat? If you do, smack it with a rubber mallet good a couple times.

10-12inHG seems a bit low for idle. You said pulling a vacuum line doesnt change idle?