Is anyone else having these paint/clearcoat issues?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BenWade

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2014 4x4 Sport
20240222_170528.jpg

Attachments

• 20240222_170504.jpg
    20240222_170504.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 7

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
Happened on my Ford's roof in spots. The roof is the most neglected, abused in the hot Texas sun, many times the lightest area the clear coat is applied, ect. This been happening on trucks for decades. And some cars too.
Good news is it's an easy mask, sand, and re-shoot.

OP
OP
B

BenWade

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Happened on my Ford's roof in spots. The roof is the most neglected, abused in the hot Texas sun, many times the lightest area the clear coat is applied, ect. This been happening on trucks for decades. And some cars too.
Good news is it's an easy mask, sand, and re-shoot.
This has never happened on any of my other trucks. Ever!?! It is on the roof, the hood and even the bumper?? I can't be the only 10 year old Ram truck in Texas that this has happened

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
This has never happened on any of my other trucks. Ever!?! It is on the roof, the hood and even the bumper?? I can't be the only 10 year old Ram truck in Texas that this has happened
GM's in the 80's / early 90's were famous for the clear blowing off driving down the road,or if you weren't careful going through a carwash.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
GM's in the 80's / early 90's were famous for the clear blowing off driving down the road,or if you weren't careful going through a carwash.
So were Dodges. My Dakota was victim. Along with our fleet trucks back then and a few friends. I've repainted quite a few roofs and hoods due to clear coat peeling. The clear coat usually didn't bite to the base or the clear/base are too thin.
I don't paint much anymore but I definitely don't miss sanding, that's for sure.

OP, did you buy it new? The hood and roof may of been resprayed.

kdoublep

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I wash and wax 3 and 4 times every year. I like the P&S beadmaker for protection. It works great on all my other vehicles
That's definitely crazy if you've done that consistently. I haven't done any paint protection in 18 months in FL. Guess you just motivated me lol.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 Laramie 4x4 QC, True Blue Pearl
Engine
5.7L Hemi
My 2014 has not been inside a garage since I bought it in July 2017, and possibly never. Even the dealer took until March of 2015 to sell it the 1st time.

And other than machine washes it has never seen wax/protection from me.

So that Fluid Film I had applied last fall is doing nothing for my roof paint?

Looks like I'm climbing up to take a look tomorrow. :rolleyes:

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
Don't misconstrue. Yes, It does happen. But doesn't mean it will to all trucks.
When looking, it may start out as little bubbles. My ford had it on the roof edges of the ribs and a touch of it on the rear most roof cab corners. Hood was fine.
My Dakota it was similar on the roof and majority of the clear and some paint had just disappeared from the hood. The sides it actually peeled and clouded from bubbling. Definitely a poor factory paint job.
I'll have to check my Ram now next time the Tonneau cover is rolled up, but I wouldn't be surprised if I see little bubbles.

OP
OP
B

BenWade

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So were Dodges. My Dakota was victim. Along with our fleet trucks back then and a few friends. I've repainted quite a few roofs and hoods due to clear coat peeling. The clear coat usually didn't bite to the base or the clear/base are too thin.
I don't paint much anymore but I definitely don't miss sanding, that's for sure.

OP, did you buy it new? The hood and roof may of been resprayed.
Yes, I bought it brand new in Dec 2013. I love this truck. It has never left me anywhere or failed to tow/haul whatever I needed it to do. It has been worked like a truck for over 10 years and 160,000 miles. It makes me sad to see it getting old LoL!

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
Honda had a spell of paint issues, too.

The 06' through to 13' Civic and Acura version of same (CSX) had paint degradation issues.

So much so that a class action had Honda paying claimants about $1,500 or so cash and walkaway with your paint as is, or about $2,100 or so paid to the body shop towards the repaint of the vehicle.

Back then one could get a backyard paint job on a Civic for almost that, and maybe up to a grand more or so for a bit better of a job.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 Laramie 4x4 QC, True Blue Pearl
Engine
5.7L Hemi
My 2014 has not been inside a garage since I bought it in July 2017, and possibly never. Even the dealer took until March of 2015 to sell it the 1st time.

And other than machine washes it has never seen wax/protection from me.

So that Fluid Film I had applied last fall is doing nothing for my roof paint?

Looks like I'm climbing up to take a look tomorrow. :rolleyes:

Well, a quick look this morning while standing. On the side steps showed my roof finish to be in good shape.
Looks like there is still time to get some protection on it.

EDIT TO ADD:
I just noticed the OP lists Houston as home base. The sun is not the same in the MD/PA Mid Atlantic area. And although not garage kept we get significant shade from enormous trees, oak, locust. maple, etc.
I've been told by tree experts that these are 90-120 feet easily, and trees in the front yard have branches that reach over the back of the house.
My wife's 2011 Eclipse also shows no sign of degradation in the finish.
Acorns are another matter, but add testament to a finish that has withstood years of onslaught to the point that my truck's horizontal surfaces are well dimpled.
A trip to our local full-service interior/exterior car wash, and purchase the most expensive package, and my 2014 looks like it is 1 year old, not 10.

Chose your poison, eh? Live in the rust belt and pay to protect the chassis, or the sun belt and pay to protect the finish.

Last edited:

quickster2

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Laramie 2500 4 X 4
Engine
6.4L
Looks like typical UV degradation. Is that truck blue? Blue can be the worst for UV absorption. You may want to take it to a detailer that has a hand held microscope or buy one yourself. You want to determine which layer of paint it has penetrated to which will determine the extent of the repair. You can buy Universal 60X Clip-on LED Cellphone or hand held LED 60 to 75X LED Zoom Microscope for not much money online. Good luck.

OP
OP
B

BenWade

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Looks like typical UV degradation. Is that truck blue? Blue can be the worst for UV absorption. You may want to take it to a detailer that has a hand held microscope or buy one yourself. You want to determine which layer of paint it has penetrated to which will determine the extent of the repair. You can buy Universal 60X Clip-on LED Cellphone or hand held LED 60 to 75X LED Zoom Microscope for not much money online. Good luck.
It's black and it sits in my driveway with zero shade. The last couple of summers have been dry and hot. You can't even keep your hand on the hood for more than a second without getting a blistering burn.

MackinackRam23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
Have you ever had it buffed to shine or apply coatings? I’m not a fan. I think it trades shine for weakened paint integrity and makes it susceptible to this kind of break down. Good waxes applied by hand are the best defense against this.

Connie Mack

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Diesel
Yep, same situation, kept getting white spots under top coat. Got mad and had the truck totally painted FLAT BLACK MATT. they even painted the chrome bumpers and anything else that was chome. came out great. no more waxing.

Attachments

• 20201223_093641 (1).jpg
    20201223_093641 (1).jpg
    217.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 20201223_093614 (1).jpg
    20201223_093614 (1).jpg
    212.5 KB · Views: 5

Hardracer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 1500 laramie 4x4 crew cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Paint on my '10 is still good and shiny,hard tonneau is showing signs like yours tho..im gonna have to mess with that here pretty soon.

Yep, same situation, kept getting white spots under top coat. Got mad and had the truck totally painted FLAT BLACK MATT. they even painted the chrome bumpers and anything else that was chome. came out great. no more waxing.
I've seen people down here completely spray the whole truck with bedliner stuff...jeeps especially.
That's prolly the end all answer to everything.