Is anyone else having these paint/clearcoat issues?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Daman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
May not be the answer for everyone but.Had two Rams so one had to sit outside in driveway. After a few years the clear coat started peeling off. Took a couple years to figure out that a few hours a day the reflection of sun off the huge window over the garage with low e glass reflected perfectly on hood.Being a contractor I knew why? I was called out to a deck job where I laid down Azek decking replacing original p.t and a year later customer complained decking in front of their sliding glass door looked like it was melting. It was the sun reflecting off the door causing it to droop like a noodle. Acts like a magnifying glass.Cure was to lay down a matt.

Last edited:

Power Wagon Chief

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Power Wagon
Engine
I put PPF (Weather Tech purchase) on my 21 PW door sills. When I had a professional do detailing, he removed to install a bigger strip and to his and my surprise it pulled the paint up down to the metal (not the primer the metal). Luckily my dealer covered it under warrantee.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Have you ever had it buffed to shine or apply coatings? I’m not a fan. I think it trades shine for weakened paint integrity and makes it susceptible to this kind of break down. Good waxes applied by hand are the best defense against this.
It really doesn't. If performed properly it simply removes scratches but there still has to be a protective coating applied over it. Buffing/polishing should be reserved for instances where it is needed to remove a defect in the finish. Yes it removes some clear, but if done properly it's minimal as you should use the least aggressive polish required. The problem are with those who don't know what they're doing. If you do and are applying the proper top coatings, your finish will last much longer even with polishing.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
As long as you keep a good wax or a protective coating on the paint, it wont do that. My ram is a 12 and has 167k on it. It has only lived in the garage briefly. I have never had any issues with the clear coat.

markabby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
never had an issue with the paint.....until my wife wiped out the rear side of the truck....now i'm getting a partial paint job for $5,000