Is here a mod to raise the back end of the seat a few inches??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JimP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a new 2016 Ram 1500 Tradesman with totally manual seats.

When the driver's seat is moved forward, the bottom (not the back) has a pretty steep angle where the knees are up and the back end of the seat is down. What I'd like to do is raise the back end of the seat a few inches(probably 3 inches).

It looks like I could replacing the rear bolts with longer ones and add some kind of spacer to make up the distance.

Before McGeivering this, has anyone found a better solution? Perhaps a different bracket?

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Honestly, I would look into a power seat swap than putting any spacer setup. You run the risk in a frontal collision of possible bolt snapping and/or fatigue of the rear mount area from a spacer and longer bolt setup.

OP
OP
J

JimP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Honestly, I would look into a power seat swap than putting any spacer setup. You run the risk in a frontal collision of possible bolt snapping and/or fatigue of the rear mount area from a spacer and longer bolt setup.

I've been thinking about your reply for a couple of days.

So what's involved with a power seat swap and about how much should I expect to pay? Will I have to run wires or are the wires already in place?

As an alternative, I've also been thinking about going to a car upholstery shop and just have them add addition foam padding to the part of the seat that needs raising.

zstampe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sub'd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
J

JimP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I stumbled onto what might actually be going on.

I was watching a youtube video where some guy replaced the worn out foam rubber and saw how the foam get put in. It occurred to me that the same 1500 I drove at another dealership didn't feel like the back was low. Decided to compare my driver's seat to the passenger side and the passenger side much much better. I bet they got the foam in wrong on the driver's side at the factory.

So the plan for now is wait for the free oil change to roll around and have the dealership take a look at the foam rubber on the driver's seat to see if it was placed wrong.

zstampe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I stumbled onto what might actually be going on.

I was watching a youtube video where some guy replaced the worn out foam rubber and saw how the foam get put in. It occurred to me that the same 1500 I drove at another dealership didn't feel like the back was low. Decided to compare my driver's seat to the passenger side and the passenger side much much better. I bet they got the foam in wrong on the driver's side at the factory.

So the plan for now is wait for the free oil change to roll around and have the dealership take a look at the foam rubber on the driver's seat to see if it was placed wrong.

Weird. Got a link for the video?

My seat hurts my back on long trips so I was hoping to change the angle or add foam or something.

OP
OP
J

JimP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Weird. Got a link for the video?

My seat hurts my back on long trips so I was hoping to change the angle or add foam or something.

In my situation, the back end of the seat sits low. When using a modified seat cushion to raise my butt, the seat back seems to fit the contour of my back as well.

If I get some time, I may try to reposition the foam. I'd like to do it without totally removing the front seat. You'll see in the video.

Here's the link. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85ncCZUULkM

zstampe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
In my situation, the back end of the seat sits low. When using a modified seat cushion to raise my butt, the seat back seems to fit the contour of my back as well.

If I get some time, I may try to reposition the foam. I'd like to do it without totally removing the front seat. You'll see in the video.

Here's the link. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85ncCZUULkM

Sounds like your complaint is the same as mine.

Update this and let us know what you do.

OP
OP
J

JimP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Does anyone have a link to a pdf showing how the driver's seat is assembled? I'd like to remove the seat cover to see if the foam is out of alignment and I'd rather not break anything. This is on a 2016 1500 with the 40/20/40 seat.

OP
OP
J

JimP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sounds like your complaint is the same as mine.

Update this and let us know what you do.

Please check your messages.

Smurfkiller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
im going to be achieving the same thing but i will be lowering the front. i have a r/t with power seats but still i dont like the angle of the seat bottom and id like the whole seat lower. im used to my vette and my caddy the seats are damn near just a pad on the floor. and i like that.

i have done this before in my s-10s cut and lowered and in my Trans Am i modified stock sliders to work on race seats. with a bit of common sense and a welder you can do it and be as strong or stronger than stock.

OP
OP
J

JimP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I wonder if my wife would notice a new car in the garage if it was the same color as the old one? (evil laughter)