Is the center steering wheel bolt normally hard to turn to take it out?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89grand

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 RCSB
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm going to swap my steering wheel and add the audio control. I trying to take the center steering wheel bolt out, and it is moving, but it seems pretty hard to turn. Is there some sort adhesive on it, or should it be easy to turn to remove it?

Potatomafia

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Yes, it is a PITA to get out. I used my floor jack handle as a cheater bar on my ratchet and still had to put some heft into it. The bolt has threadlocker on it and you will feel resistance until almost the end of the bolt. Leverage is your friend.

Jho93

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
usually has loctite on it. I never noticed if it felt gritty as I always used an impact wrench but if I remember correctly it should have loctite on it. make sure that you reapply more of whatever color loctite is on there when you reinstall them

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
89grand

89grand

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 RCSB
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I very much appreciate the answers. I wanted to make sure I wasn't destroying it, if it wasn't normal to be hard to turn.

Potatomafia

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
The Lisle airbag clip tool made removing the airbag super easy. It seriously took me longer to get the tool out of the package than it did to remove the 3 clips on the rear of the airbag. It was about $9 on Amazon.

OP
OP
89grand

89grand

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 RCSB
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yeah, I have one. It took a minute or two to undo the 3 clips. I actually just got it all back together and everything works.