Does the center console have to be removed?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

breal201999

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’ve got to replace the HVAC controls due to busted volume knob, and I’ve unscrewed the two at the top, two at the bottom, and the one above the outlet. I can pull straight back and it disconnects from the tabs. But it still seems stuck toward the bottom, and won’t tilt out. I’m thinking I’ve got to remove the whole center console??? Or at least loosen the console to finally remove the dash panel???

Attachments

• IMG_8306.jpeg
    IMG_8306.jpeg
    141.2 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I’ve got to replace the HVAC controls due to busted volume knob, and I’ve unscrewed the two at the top, two at the bottom, and the one above the outlet. I can pull straight back and it disconnects from the tabs. But it still seems stuck toward the bottom, and won’t tilt out. I’m thinking I’ve got to remove the whole center console??? Or at least listen the console to finally remove the dash panel???
Console top comes off,and you'll find a couple screws at the bottom of the center stack.The whole console doesn't need to be removed,just the top.Lift up the rubber inserts in the cup holders and bottom of the bin,and you'll find the screws to remove the top of the console

OP
OP
B

breal201999

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Console top comes off,and you'll find a couple screws at the bottom of the center stack.The whole console doesn't need to be removed,just the top.Lift up the rubber inserts in the cup holders and bottom of the bin,and you'll find the screws to remove the top of the console
Thanks! Will try again another day!

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Up on the dashboard
There are 2 screws under the sun glass holder mat
then another one at the 115 volt AC plug
Do not try to remover that center stack, until you take the Lid of the floor console off.

There are 3 screws that hold the floor console lid on
2 screws are under the rubber mat right at the base of the Center Stack
the other screw is a copper or brass screw, that screw is under the large storage area adjacent to the cup holders

note the 3 pieces of blue painters tape, that is the 3 screw holes

1702184985758.png
when those screws are removed,
open the compartment that you use as an Right arm rest & the larger compartment under it.

Then grab the 2 places, where you see the 2 long pieces of tape & jerk up & back toward the seat backs on the lid

1702185359767.png

watch how far up you lift the lid, before you disconnect the the wire going to the cigarette lighter
it is the BLUE wiring connection

1702185791540.png

with the lid removed, this is what you will see

1702185944520.png

next you can remove the Center Stack that holds the Climate Controls

OP
OP
B

breal201999

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Up on the dashboard
Do not try to remover that center stack, until you take the Lid of the floor console off.

the other screw is a copper or brass screw, that screw is under the large storage area adjacent to the cup holders

View attachment 533169
open the compartment that you use as an Right arm rest & the larger compartment under it.

Then grab the 2 places, where you see the 2 long pieces of tape & jerk up & back toward the seat backs on the lid

View attachment 533170

watch how far up you lift the lid, before you disconnect the the wire going to the cigarette lighter

View attachment 533171

View attachment 533172

This was EXACTLY what I needed to get the job done! Thank you so much for the helpful write up!

OP
OP
B

breal201999

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Up on the dashboard

View attachment 533169

View attachment 533170

View attachment 533171

View attachment 533172

Is it possible I could have a wiring plug behind the bottom of the dash plate that didn’t plug into anything? I should have taken a picture before I buttoned everything up, figured it must have gone to some option that my truck didn’t have. Tested and everything works.
And curious, after getting the HVAC controls free and unscrewing the 5 or 6 screws and prying the two tabs on the side of the HVAC controls, I still couldn’t separate from the bezel. It’s like the radio knobs prevent the controls from separating. The new/used plate has a scratch on it, and I’d sure like to reuse my old plate if possible to separate the controls.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
One pigtail that will be behind the center stack, fairly close to the HVAC Controls will be for the OEM Integrated Brake Controller
1702261836788.png
This is a video that should be kept as a permanent part of the knowledge base here on the Ramforum

Removing Center Stack when there is a Full Floor Console
....................................................................................

Every YouTube video that i have looked at for the last 2 hours, none of them show how to remove the HVAC Control Unit from the bezel

You might watch the last half of this video, it mostly shows how he uses the AlfaOBD to trouble shoot the HVAC system

OP
OP
B

breal201999

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
One pigtail that will be behind the center stack, fairly close to the HVAC Controls will be for the OEM Integrated Brake Controller
View attachment 533217
This is a video that should be kept as a permanent part of the knowledge base here on the Ramforum

....................................................................................

Every YouTube video that i have looked at for the last 2 hours, none of them show how to remove the HVAC Control Unit from the bezel

You might watch the last half of this video, it mostly shows how he uses the AlfaOBD to trouble shoot the HVAC system
I have the trailer brake controls, so I don’t think that is it. I did take one picture as I was disassembling the console, and you can see the plug barely at the bottom. So this is before anything was disconnected

Attachments

• IMG_8326.jpeg
    IMG_8326.jpeg
    137.2 KB · Views: 14

tnctx02

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 RAM SLT
Engine
3.6L Pentastar V6
When I had my dash apart I did find the plug for the 110v converter plug. One option I don't have but was apparently wired for.

04fxdwgi

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
View attachment 533217

I was surprised to see the trailer brake module wiring plugged in a dummy socket on the blank filler when I installed the OEM controller.

tnctx02

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 RAM SLT
Engine
3.6L Pentastar V6
Up on the dashboard

View attachment 533169

View attachment 533170

View attachment 533171

View attachment 533172

What year is this console? I have been looking for a replacement for the cup holder-cubby hole lid for mine.
I need to find the OEM number to order one.