Is there enough interest in AlphaODB to create a topic discussion area?

Would you be in favor of creating a single Topic Discussion Area for AlphaODB?

• Yes

Votes: 135 97.8%
  • No

Votes: 3 2.2%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gary2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
HMMM... Crickets , I guess with over 400 pages in one thread I would say people already know where to find question about AlphaOBD already . wish ya luck

Razzman

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited CCSB
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Good idea or not (which I think it is) the reality of it is do the mods have the time to go through the whole mess and break it out? That's a huge undertaking sifting and sorting, making new threads and moving content for that many submissions. I would expect that even if they did make a new forum that the current content would stay in a general category and you'd still have to search it.

Gary2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Why are you against it?
I just hate seeing more threads pertaining to the same thing. Those of us that use the search tool ends up seeing the same question asked by many people who don't understand or are to lazy to use the tools provided on most any forum . I have probably skimmed through the existing long thread a few times over the years before I bought the app. As I did I bookmarked what interested me so in the future I could click on the bookmarks and go directly to the place I want . The existing thread is very informative if ya take the time to look through it ,why ask someone else to spend all the time it would take to redo the existing thread. Their are quite a few people who have already spent a lot of time answering questions and adding info on that thread just to help for years and people are to lazy or can't take the time to find the answers they seek.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
FWIW I feel like the search thread tool is pretty lacking...Ive used it before, but noticed that the order of results doesnt seem to have much rhyme or reason.

On top of that, searching any 1000+ page long thread is going to result (no pun) in a whole lot of hits that are just quotes of other posts, so you end up sifting through the same stuff over and over again. Not to mention the way the hits are previewed, its hard to tell if you are seeing a quote of a previous post or an actual post.

Not sure if its a formal voting thing, but I would suggest a subforum for AlfaOBD. Archive the existing thread as a sticky in the forum, and new questions, how-tos, etc should be posted as separate threads. It is far easier to search a forum using the "display results as threads" option than it is a 1000+ page long thread.

rsdata

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 BigHorn 1500 8spd 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you experiment with how to use it (search) you can find just what pertains to what you are asking or thinking about doing . Yes some time you have to experiment with your wording but its all there, let the tool search find it and then you can read it .

The search tool is not all that helpful when searching for an answer in a 10,000 post thread.
I took the better part of a couple of days and I read ( skimmed) over 2500 posts to find an answer... all of the back and forth posts and comments I had to skim over made it next to impossible to find an answer to my questions. It is hard to keep continuity of thought when you are reading about 3 or 4 or 8 different topics all within one thread... talk about a hijacked thread...

There are even different ways to hook up older Vs newer RAMS, ( harnesses and such) that I don't need to read with my 2014 model.

Yes kudos to those that tried to make that thread easier to find answers to, but come on, would it not be easier for us USERS of AlphaOBD to have a seperate sub-section of the forum? After all, Alpha seems to drive a lot of traffic to this forum.

jlongjohn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I don’t see the poll but I vote yes.

As for section vs sub, these are options for using the forum engine to help categorize and break down topics. The original thread doesn’t need broken up, just sticky it there for archive history.

In the end if those running this forum want to to be successful they will respond to the users and make decisions based on data, like number of requests or 1000’s of posts in a single thread.

Better use of the tool would suggest that long threads are not the best way to go, hell there should be possibly a thread limit. But in the end the forum is meant to help owners and interested parties share information and allow businesses to sponsor to cover fees and share info on products. This falls into that line, meeting the objective.

I for one need to buy a device so I can begin using AlphaOBD and would love to post specific questions about topics like lights, fog lights to be specific. I will use the search function but my time is limited. A fog light thread in the “AlphaOBD” sub or section would be great.

What will be will be...

2014 Ram 1500 5.7l CrewCab
Sent via Tapatalk

rwhjr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
We cant even get the thread made into a sticky
I don’t get it. Being able to adjust these 4th gen electronic systems is so useful to owners looking to make changes and it’s really a topic most people know the least about (messing with software).

And as another poster stated already....you’d think the vendors who sell truck mods would look at it as a boon to their very own products because people would be able to more easily modify these trucks (with said vendors parts) and get the truck to act right in the end.

And considering the wide range of topics regarding alphaobd, having its own section wouldn’t hurt anyone (except Gary).

Jerzey111

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just hate seeing more threads pertaining to the same thing. Those of us that use the search tool ends up seeing the same question asked by many people who don't understand or are to lazy to use the tools provided on most any forum . I have probably skimmed through the existing long thread a few times over the years before I bought the app. As I did I bookmarked what interested me so in the future I could click on the bookmarks and go directly to the place I want . The existing thread is very informative if ya take the time to look through it ,why ask someone else to spend all the time it would take to redo the existing thread. Their are quite a few people who have already spent a lot of time answering questions and adding info on that thread just to help for years and people are to lazy or can't take the time to find the answers they seek.

1. Same questions get asked because there is only one tread.
2. Yes tread is informative IF you take the time to go through it. Why would I want to do that? I don't have time for this Everytime I need some info or I'm just curious what is new.
3. Redoing the whole tread was never an option. It doesn't make sense. Just create new sub.
4. Last but not least why we just don't have a one long blog type site instead of forum and just search for everything?

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I have a PM in to Shaggy about creating an Alpha OBD section on the forum. I like the idea and it makes a lot of sense.

I thought we had stuck the original 4th Gen DIY AlphaOBD thread. If it isn't a sticky thread now it will be soon. I believe we can move that thread to the new section if it is created. I don't believe we'll need to break that up into smaller pieces.

In the mean time hang in there.

rwhjr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a PM in to Shaggy about creating an Alpha OBD section on the forum. I like the idea and it makes a lot of sense.

I thought we had stuck the original 4th Gen DIY AlphaOBD thread. If it isn't a sticky thread now it will be soon. I believe we can move that thread to the new section if it is created. I don't believe we'll need to break that up into smaller pieces.

In the mean time hang in there.
Nice.
Looks like Gary loses lol.

the only NO votes appeared to be him and his 2 spam/bot accounts lol.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Hey, I voted no and I am not a bot. Rather than a single Alpha topic I would like to see a separate Software or Software Mods forum. These vehicles are so defined by their software and it is almost as big a component as the hardware. Many of the software mods cut across generations so they don't fit neatly into the generations forums. There could be sub-forums for things like infotainment software, tuning, lighting, etc. This would help folks find what they need and remain vendor neutral.

Gary2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't know what a spam bot is but I can make a search tool work fine , how about you AH? I really don't lose much if thats your goal , I have finished all the AlphaOBD changes I wanted . I did rather enjoyed skimming through the original Alpha thread and videos if for no other reason than to " learn " what the possibilities are . Now I just check the last few pages to see if anything new has popped up. In reality new or old thread matters not to me I was just trying to help some of you to experiment with the search tool and bookmark points of interest to get the answers ya want being they are all ready answered . Hope some of ya have better luck with the AlphaOBD app than the search tool...

Last edited:

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Gentlemen,

Let's not bicker about the chicken dinner before the eggs are hatched.

There will more to discuss about the format of the section later.

rwhjr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don't know what a spam bot is but I can make a search tool work fine , how about you ? I really don't lose much if thats your goal , I have finished all the AlphaOBD changes I wanted . I did rather enjoy skimming through the original Alpha thread and videos if for no other reason than to " learn " what the possibilities are . Now I just check the last few pages to see if anything new has popped up. In reality new or old thread matters not to me I was just trying to help some of you to experiment with the search tool and bookmark points of interest to get the answers ya want being they are all ready answered . Hope some of ya have better luck with the AlphaOBD app than the search tool...
Should we also not have a suspension section? All I see there are the same questions about Bilstein 5100s and people saying no lift kits exist except Zone lol.
I don't know what a spam bot is but I can make a search tool work fine , how about you ? I really don't lose much if thats your goal , I have finished all the AlphaOBD changes I wanted . I did rather enjoy skimming through the original Alpha thread and videos if for no other reason than to " learn " what the possibilities are . Now I just check the last few pages to see if anything new has popped up. In reality new or old thread matters not to me I was just trying to help some of you to experiment with the search tool and bookmark points of interest to get the answers ya want being they are all ready answered . Hope some of ya have better luck with the AlphaOBD app than the search tool...
im just poking at you Gary. There’s no hard feelings over alphaobd I promise.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
You voted no but in reality you want the same thing or even more

No, I actually read the poll question. I am not in favor of a single topic area for Alpha. Rather a more broad area that encompasses all software mods including the tools like Alpha used to make them. AFAIK, I don't have a track record of voting much less "our own interests". I think my profile shows I do quite a bit for "our interests". Your post really rubbed me the wrong way and I found it insulting.

Reactions: JB1