Jake brake questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smkied

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel
Hi all, so I am a new ram 2500 diesel owner (2013 model) and wanted to find out a bit more about the jake brake. I was googling around and some places say to have the jake brake running all the time except in winter conditions because it's good for the turbo? Is this true? Also -- reading my manual it said there are two modes, I guess normal and "smart" mode. Which one should I be using if in fact I am to have this on all the time? What is the difference?

Thanks in advance for your responses :) Absolutely loving the diesel!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rotzilla

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I turn mine on everytime I get into the truck, use it all the time.
Push the button once and you get maximum braking force .
Push it a second time and you will have a speed holding brake. Ie. if you set it at 50 mph going down hill it will regulate your speed turning on and off ensuring your truck dosent exceed that 50mph.

Cynix

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
I use It in the work 5500 rollback all year long. Only thing to watch for is tow/haul + Jake brake in the winter can cause some ass clenching moments when it downshifts on ice

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk