Over filled oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kpwoodcock2011

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Im so confused. Ive just done my first oil change on my 2012 Ram 1500 4.7L . The manual says fill it with 5.7 l / 6qrts of oil. I emptied the old oil. removed the filter and refilled with the correct oil using 5.7L of oil. 2 things. Firstly, the old oil that came out was less than half of what i put in.the truck was running noisy and the "change oil" msg was on. However, maybe only 2.5L of oil came out. Also after very cearfully adding 5.7L of new oil its really over full. by a LOT. what coud i have done wrong. I emptied the old oil, i removed the filler cap so it can drain. i let it drain for 15 mins until it was dripping at maybe 1 drip per second. Ive made a mistake. but it is not the amount of oil i put in. any thoughts?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Im so confused. Ive just done my first oil change on my 2012 Ram 1500 4.7L . The manual says fill it with 5.7 l / 6qrts of oil. I emptied the old oil. removed the filter and refilled with the correct oil using 5.7L of oil. 2 things. Firstly, the old oil that came out was less than half of what i put in.the truck was running noisy and the "change oil" msg was on. However, maybe only 2.5L of oil came out. Also after very cearfully adding 5.7L of new oil its really over full. by a LOT. what coud i have done wrong. I emptied the old oil, i removed the filler cap so it can drain. i let it drain for 15 mins until it was dripping at maybe 1 drip per second. Ive made a mistake. but it is not the amount of oil i put in. any thoughts?
Pull the dipstick out wipe it off,throw it on the fender and let the truck sit for a couple hours before you re-insert the dipstick,and see where it reads.

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
There could be an obstruction in the engine oil pan.
Sometimes a dipstick tube oil extractor is used instead of draining by the engine oil pan bolt.
I’ve heard of people mistaking the transmission drain bolt for the engine oil pan bolt.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Firstly, the old oil that came out was less than half of what i put in.the truck was running noisy and the "change oil" msg was on. However, maybe only 2.5L of oil came out. Also after very cearfully adding 5.7L of new oil its really over full. by a LOT. what coud i have done wrong.
With any oil change I always read the dipstick before draining to get a ballpark idea what I should expect to see come out. Of course, there's spillage, oil left on the side of the container you drain into, filter, etc. but at least it's something. Getting 2.5 out and expecting to put 5.7 in should have been an immediate red flag. When refilling I always go under by 1/2 to a full quart. Running the engine at no load for 30 seconds a quart low isn't going to hurt anything (sounds like this truck was running 2+ quarts low driving around).

At this point all you can really do is be sure you have the right dipstick and potentially redo the whole thing if it's really way over. I'd also be sure you've got the right engine and fill specs.... Fwiw, your signature says 4.6 engine and the post says 4.7. I don't recall a 4.6 engine but anyway... just double-check.

caulk04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well, barring some oddball thing like a severely damaged oil pan which would likely be causing other problems, the capacity of the oil system can't change.

Drain. Fill with specified amount and make note on your dipstick if it's reading way off. Chances are it's the wrong stick or even the wrong tube.

Marmay

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For 2019 5.7l hemi the oil capacity is 6.6L with the filter.

OP
OP
K

kpwoodcock2011

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did you prefill the new oil filter or start the engine after adding the oil? If you didn't that could explain the "overfill" which probably isn't overfilled since there's no oil in the oil filter.

I'd also be checking your oil level a lot more often.
i didnt prefill the filter. i did start the engin and ran it for 10 mins. its stillo ver full. however i have noticed in the past when the engin gets noisy it need to be topped up with oil o it must be burning a lot of oil.

White six four

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How overfull is it? Any way you could get a picture and post it? How long have you had the truck? People do weird things and maybe swapped the dipstick. Maybe look online and see if you can find a good picture of an oem dipstick and compare it to what you have.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
After verifying you have the correct oil dipstick, one thing you can try, but unfortunately a waste of money, is to drain the oil again and see how much comes out. If nearly all you put in comes back out (don't reuse), it is certainly 1) you were way low on oil, and 2) almost certainly your dipstick was not the correct one.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
i didnt prefill the filter. i did start the engin and ran it for 10 mins. its stillo ver full. however i have noticed in the past when the engin gets noisy it need to be topped up with oil o it must be burning a lot of oil.
If possible post a pic of the oil plug you removed,and what colour was the fluid you drained. Just wondering if you drained the engine oil,or maybe the transmission fluid by mistake.

OP
OP
K

kpwoodcock2011

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Maybe it has wrong dipstick in in it. Garage may have mistakenly substituted it. Seen that one before.

If manual says 6 qts and only 2 1/2 came out, there is a problem. Is there a BIG dent in the oil pan? Seen that one before, too.
Hi, there is no dent inthe oil pan. the truck got noisy befor i changed the oil. I think it must be burning oil. Its not the first time ive had to to it up after 4 or 5 mnths. maybe it just brunt half the oil? however that doesnt expalin why it was so over full. i was cearful with how much i put in. i had to take out 1.5 liters !

OP
OP
K

kpwoodcock2011

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How many miles since last oil change? I'd be more concerned with only getting 2.5 out of it. Where did the other 3+ go?
I agree, its a concern. its not leaking. it must have got burnt off? but my exsaust is not smoking. I dont know.

diymirage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I agree, its a concern. its not leaking. it must have got burnt off? but my exsaust is not smoking. I dont know.

lets see, not enough oil came out of the truck, and too much oil is in the truck
i wonder if there isnt something preventing the oil from draining propperly, and perhaps there was 5.7 qaurts in it, you drained, 2.5 and added 5.7
total in the truck just might be 8.9 qaurts

andymax

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
WAs the truck jacked up significantly on one side or the other, or even front end way up on ramps or something? That could explain both issues.