JBA Shorty Header Warning.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ScLeCo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Supercharged 426
So I bought and installed some JBA ceramic shorty headers (1961S-2JS) recently. It was kind of a PITA, anyway that's beside the point.
The point is I could NOT get them to seal to the collector flange on both sides. Believe me when I say I tried EVERYTHING.
So I hop on the book of face to see that I am not the only person having this problem.
I don't know if any of you know of Mark Rojee, he posts on Tuned Rams a lot. Anyway he just happens to post about his problem pretty much exactly as I was going to post about mine.
Long story short, several of us who are having the exact same problem have contacted JBA and have been basically told to go pound sand.

Here is a part of the conversation on facebook explaining the problem.

• Joe ViensjC78Rnw2Q2h.png I did find out today that these JBA headers have the wrong size cone for my 2016. It’s to small that is why you can not get the collector to seal. I had it looked at by a very reputable exhaust business up here in NH. Most likely am going to have to have my collectors cut off and new ones made. ******* JBA better do something for me or every ram page there is will know about this.

• Joe ViensjC78Rnw2Q2h.png Scott Atsoc so the header and collector do not line up perfect. So because the cone on the header is so small it does not allow for a little misalignement. So the collector actually comes up and hits the bolt on flange of the header. It is a manufactured flaw on two ends , does not have exact angles and cone circumference is to small. So now I’m out another 550 to make it right.
Scott Atsoc_ZvGTxrlsmm.png This is such ******* ********. I'm so pissed. JBA basically told me to go pound sand when I brought this issue up with them over email. They do not consider this a warranty issue as nothing is "broken" Spread the word **** JBA.

Joe ViensjC78Rnw2Q2h.png Notice the gap, and the collector all the way up to the weld beed. Should never be that high on the cone.

69154422_661835454327254_6591652408441438208_n.jpg

69249371_661835610993905_4857183110661406720_n.jpg

Joe Viens
jC78Rnw2Q2h.png That gap is 1/8” all the way around. That makes the header cone circumference almost a 1/4” to small.

69256969_661836037660529_6288131828456882176_n.jpg

Joe ViensjC78Rnw2Q2h.png Scott Atsoc when I looked at the OEM Manifold I could see the collector did not line up with manifold. And that stress is what is breaking the rear bolts. If someone took a new ram and cut collectors realigned them and welded them back on I am willing to bet he will never break a manifold bolt. I am also telling everyone that has hemi tick. Check your collectors I bet you have an exhaust leak OEM.

SO. The point to all this is if you are considering purchasing some JBA shorty headers be aware this MAY be a problem. Apparently it's not every set as Mark has stated he's installed several sets and not had a problem until now.

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
Thanks for letting us know; getting the word out saving us from this scammer.

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
Gotta admit, even I didn’t check my flange ring fitment before installing. That’s something you don’t expect to be incorrect on the bill of materials. Must be for Dakota/v6.

Would be leery and ask for diameter measurements before ordering, I can pull out my OEM logs if nobody knows the maximum upper radius diameter on the ring. Sounds like the flanges are mating before the ring seals the down-pipe side and gasket maker cant overcome the gap.

Last edited:

Saskwatch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sooo JBA headquarters raid September 19th?

All joking aside this is disheartening to hear as we all spend hard earned time and money on these mods with the expectation they fit properly, perform and last. That being said, the JBA long tubes I bought fit great and had no issues other than the typical long tube install battles.

I really hope they can remedy the situation for those affected

Robert Westbrook

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Upon reading this I am concerned. However, he said he checked his OEM manifold and collector and they were off aswell. Doesn't that absolve JBA of the issue? It sounds like Mopar made a mistake and it was discovered when a correct part was applied to the situation. Or am I missing something?