Jerk when coming to complete stop?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Davey_Raider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey, so i just bought a used 2016 Ram 1500 Big Horn, with the 5.7 Hemi just shy of 20k miles. I love this truck. My everyday driver before this was a '98 Dodge Durango. This is my first ever newer vehicle. But i recently noticed when i come to a complete stop, maybe going 1 mph, my car jerks like twice. It is driving me crazy. Only because idk if its normal. If it is i can get used to it. But it is very new so idk what would be the issue. Does the 8 speed automatic transmission have anything to do with this? Are any of you experiencing this? When i brake normally at high speeds, it feels great. Its only at that final stop.

JohnnyMac

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 Laramie
Engine
3.0 EcoBurner
My Ram does not do this, but my Tacoma and a previous Chevy 1500 I had did it and with them it is/was the slip yoke needing some grease. About every 6 months, I'd have to drop the drive shaft and lube up the yoke splines. I don't think at 20k you should be dealing with it, but might be worth a look. Might be a bad U-joint as well. If the truck is still under warranty, I'd take it in because it doesn't sound normal.

silver13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
I think we feel the same thing. Kinda like some one is hitting you from the back? But when your almost to a compete stop

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
D

Davey_Raider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yeah a little bit. Its very minimal. Almost like being in a car thats manual and down shifting to stop.

Matts175

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I sometimes feel it in mine too. The first couple days I owned the truck, I was at a red light and thought... Did that guy just hit me? I guess it's normal for the 8 speed. There's another thread on here discussing it.

savage_46

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 swapped
Mopar released a TSB for doing a TCM flash that addresses quite a few things earlier this month. They say the 2-1 is improved & specifically call out low speed bump shift.

wfscooter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The dealer has been working on mine on and off for 7 months, Chrysler has finally decided to replace the transmission. It is not normal behavior regardless what anyone tells you.

Micah12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The dealer has been working on mine on and off for 7 months, Chrysler has finally decided to replace the transmission. It is not normal behavior regardless what anyone tells you.

I had the same issue, i received a new tranny - how the issue has come back.

Any update? or has the problem been resolved?

RVGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 6 speed does something similar if I have "Hill Start Assist" enabled.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The 8 speed has a much firmer shift than the older slush-o-matics, which makes the problem seem more pronounced also.
Many have found the driveshaft to eliminate the problem - replacing or lubing the splines with something (I rec. marine grease).

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
My 6 speed does something similar if I have "Hill Start Assist" enabled.

Hm, My 6SP likes to jerk around too. So maybe if i turn that off she’ll act better [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone XS Max using Tapatalk

Masko

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi there,
I have 2015 Ram 1500 5.7 hemi.
Just recently noticed that I started to have a bump/jerk (whatever it is) in a second or two after I completely stopped. It doesn’t happen if I stop slowly/gently, but than sharply I stop then stronger it feels. Initially I thought that I need to grease u-joint , because I do have light vibration around 55mpm (but I also have mud tires that could cause this vibration as well) and unfortunately I didn’t find the hole to grease it (it’s not serviceable). Any ideas/recommendations on what I should do??? I would appreciate it.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi there,
I have 2015 Ram 1500 5.7 hemi.
Just recently noticed that I started to have a bump/jerk (whatever it is) in a second or two after I completely stopped. It doesn’t happen if I stop slowly/gently, but than sharply I stop then stronger it feels. Initially I thought that I need to grease u-joint , because I do have light vibration around 55mpm (but I also have mud tires that could cause this vibration as well) and unfortunately I didn’t find the hole to grease it (it’s not serviceable). Any ideas/recommendations on what I should do??? I would appreciate it.
Mine has been doing it since i bought it Its a software issue I have been trying to install a trans tune on my 2014 but having issues with my tuner will let you know if it solves the issue once i get it fixed.