Junk tranny?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Skerj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Please tell me how to drive it? Last time I checked these things are made to be driven and didn't come with a rule book on how to drive? I hardly ever go wot and usually drive normal. Not my fault ram is restarted and can't build a tranny to save there life not to mention there amazing shift pattern and not to mention 1st gear is way to high but hey let's stack 2nd and 3rd 150 rpm apart and make this 6 speed a 5 speed and while we're at it let's make the gear that you drive in the most the weakest (4th). And then there is 0 after market options. Never again will a buy a mopar product I'd much rather have a under powered gmc over a truck that will fall apart if you drive it slightly aggressive and has practically nothing aftermarket and everything aftermarket cost so much it's not even remotely worth it

5th and 6th gear in the 6 speed are overdrive gears. Are you still under warranty? Otherwise, it sounds like you need a repair or reflash as mentioned. Dodge transmissions used in the 4th gen are generally highly regarded; I personally never had issues with my 4 speed (auto) in my 05 Dakota (170,000 miles) or the 5 speed in my 11 Ram (45k before selling). And the 8 speed is fantastic so far (370 miles lol).

*Woops... somehow missed the fact there was 5 pages... So I imagine most of this has been said already.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Then drive a few miles and go to a small specialty shop. No way it should cost that much. Even if it did it makes a big difference so worth it.

that is a specialty shop.

powderbrad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mine might be doing this also.

I've noticed 4th 5th gear at low rpms it surges and almost feels like slipping. Right in the rpm range of lockup 5 maybe? If the trans even does that in forth or fifth at the tranny temp its at. More when it's warmer.

Perhaps the line pressure is low at that low of an rpm? I don't know if the line pressure increases as rpm does but it makes sense to seeing as it's an automatic and the torque converter pump pressures the tranny.

I've noticed it I drive harder or downshift so the rpm is above 1600 it helps lots with the "slippage? Or surging.

Thinking a tune can alleviate but sean hasn't told me yet.

barr0208

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 ram 1500 sport long bed
Engine
5.7 3.92 4x4 ruby red
I currently own a 15 Silverado 1500 and i can tell you the transmission is no better on this side of the fence. The dealer tells me it's "normal" For the 6 speed and they put that in writing and told me there is no way to improve it. It seems to have a mind of its own. Some days it shifts great. Others, i get loud downshift clunks from the 3-2 downshift. Other times I'm on a back road and the transmission thinks it needs to be in 5th gear doing 35mph, which is luggjng the engine at 1,000 rpm going up a hill (won't downshift unless you really get on it) and that causes a slight driveline vibration. Again, all normal per the dealer.

The 2500 ram i test drove, while it had some of that was not nearly as bad and had a much more responsive throttle without all the torque management BS that gm has in their trucks. So i can tell yall, the grass isn't any greener and from what i can tell is more brown than the Dodge.

It has a lot to do with the crappy TCM programming the government is forcing down the automakers throats to hit fuel economy standards.

I'm not saying this is your issue. However, if your curious, head over to gm trucks.com and check out the 2014-17 Silverado 1500 problems /issues area. There is a bunch of topics there. I have not been on this site long, but these trucks seem to be a whole lot less problematic.

Even the fords have issues with their 6 speeds. From what i can tell, unless you get a tune, which could void your warranty, these transmissions are what they are.

From what i understand, the tundra has a good shifting transmission, but i simply won't own a foreign truck. Yes Chrysler was bought out by fiat (which i hate that they did), but the Dodge is still an American truck in my opinion. To each their own though.

There are lots of folks over on gm trucks Thad have switched to dodge and are very happy. Ford builds a good truck, (not perfect either, they have their issues too ) but they are a lot more money and in my opinion, from just looking at a 17 super duty f250 and is undercarriage, it's not built any heavier than the 17 ram 2500. I simply don't think they are that much better than Chevy / dodge to warrant that much extra money.

I'm considering making the move to dodge myself and i never have owned a brand new mopar product. I did have a 1997 ram 2500 and that was a good truck.

Just my .02 from a different perspective. My Silverado is a good truck, runs fine and is reliable, but it's not perfect. None of them are. Pros and cons to each. But I like what i see in the Dodge. You can get a lot of options in the lower trim levels you have to go to an xlt ford to get.

The 2017 Silverado 2500hd i priced was way more expensive and had a lot less options and was not nearly as heavy duty as the 2500 ram in my opinion (axles, suspension, steering components ) The 2500hd Chevrolet is also known to have some trans shifting issues and some vibration issues. Plus i just like the looks of the ram better then Chevy or ford. I don't care for the front end of the 17 ford superduty at all personally. I like that dodge has stayed with their trademark front end and styling, which was copied in my opinion by ford to some degree when they released the 99 superduty.

Good luck in your decision, but if you went with a gm truck, you'll find things there you won't like also.
and from you tube videos the chevy hds have frame failers as well

barr0208

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 3.92 4x4 ruby red
I owned a 2010 ram with 5 speed and 321 gears and towed a 29 ft travel trailer 6000lb dry and never had a transmission problem for 4 years

Cmsharp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I peviously owned a 2013 ram with the 6 speed. Overall I was pretty satisfied with it. Shifts were definitely pronounced when its cold, before warming the motor up. Ive driven family members ford and chevy 6 speeds as well. They felt about the same as mine, except the chevy is very reluctant to downshift. I now have a 2016 ram with the 8 speed and love it. I would think your transmission is fine and is shifting the way it was designed to. The 6 speed is not junk, just older technology with pretty good overall reliability. If still under warranty, take it in and get it checked out. If it checks out ok then just drive the ***** and dont worry about the shifting. Sometimes you can focus too much on a certain tick/sound/feeling and drive yourself insane. Forum is full of these types of complaints. Good luck and I hope you enjoy your truck.

OP
OP
J

jstacey8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I see you guys have had a party while I was gone. Well I've been in a Chevy 2500 for 3 months now and let me tell you it has everything the ram dose and then some and seems to be much better build so you guys can have at it again. Cheers

TruckNut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well, I hope he has better luck with the Chevy. One can never please brand loyalists and he would never be happy in a Ram, no matter what was done. Surfing the competitions' websites is all I need to know regarding owners and satisfaction. Members here are far happier with their purchases, and these trucks are pretty problem free.

yoda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The 65RFE is not a junk transmission. There are always failures with anything mechanical. I swear the internet causes so much miss information with people parroting second, third forth hand information.
You should have been around fixing transmissions in the early nineties, all manufacturers had way more issues back then.
For you guys that have a 65RFE, they are excellent transmissions, relax, enjoy your truck, don't believe all the ******** you read on internet forums.
As far as the OP. maybe he has something wrong with his truck, maybe not. If his trans is junk it's the exception not the rule.
Pretty sure there is something wrong with him though

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jstacey8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I'm far from brand loyal I've had everything but a yota I just like what works it's simple as that

barr0208

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 3.92 4x4 ruby red
good luck with your new purchase keep checking your front frame for cracks.

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm far from brand loyal I've had everything but a yota I just like what works it's simple as that

So in your 4 years of driving you have owned five different trucks? Highly doubt they were all new. Odds are high mileage trucks at best, more than likely high mileage older gen trucks. Unless you are just rich and buy a brand new truck every 8 months.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jstacey8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Sorry I have had a 2013 Ford F-150 a 2014 ram1500 and now a 2500hd Chevy all were new and my whole family uses there trucks for work 100% of the time ( plowing and hauling hay and carpentry) and Chevy is the only truck that has held up for them. My brother I law has a new cummins and it's not holding up and my cousin has a f350 and it's been good other then all the front end parts. I simply like what works and what will save me money in the long run. Simple as that if it works it works

yoda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi

If there is something wrong with your truck, bring it to the dealer and get it fixed.
If it is a normal condition, and you just don't like the way it works,deal with or get rid of the truck.

OP
OP
J

jstacey8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
It's not just mine that was doing it I have 3 friends who's trucks all do the same thing and the dealer said it was normal? And incase you can't read I didn't like it so I did get rid of it but thanks for the helpful hint lmao

OP
OP
J

jstacey8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I can't see how the tc slipping all the time is normal at all by the way

yoda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I can read,I just didn't read entire thread, too much stupid for me.
If 3 of your friends trucks do the same thing, that tells me it's normal.
I have better things to do than try and fix what isn't broke

OP
OP
J

jstacey8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Yes a tc slipping non stop and acting like it's shifting twice when going into second it slips so bad is normal. If it is normal for it then the tile fits this perfect. Junk tranny. I also see you only comment on posts where people say there is a problem or don't like somthing about there ram. I'm telling you my exsperince and inmy exsperince it was not a good truck simple as that sorry if you don't like it

yillbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yes a tc slipping non stop and acting like it's shifting twice when going into second it slips so bad is normal. If it is normal for it then the tile fits this perfect. Junk tranny. I also see you only comment on posts where people say there is a problem or don't like somthing about there ram. I'm telling you my exsperince and inmy exsperince it was not a good truck simple as that sorry if you don't like it

Think you might have misunderstood his argument. Your experience, as valid as you find it, is just that, YOUR experience. Using buzzwords like " junk ", " crap " , " ****** ", etc, to describe something that really has no merit is ill advised. you have no actual evidence it's " junk ", other than your opinion. Their are no mass notices, recall, or complaints regarding it. I'll venture out to say he's likely trying to say that, but in a not so " nice " way :)

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Jstacy I am in my fourth ram. None have had a trans issue. Why aren't you using your warranty? Dealer should fix you right up.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gotemgoddard