Just bought first ram tranny problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Benihonas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
:naughty:Hi newb here just bought a 97 1500 sport with 79k miles I think I got a good deal regardless of the tranny problems.... Ok so here goes the guy I got it from towed skid steer and 5 attachments Bout 300 miles next day had tranny problems and parked it for a year and now here I am with the problem on my hands..... When first started it will shift into reverse and drive I didn't try to drive it because I didn't want to push it back. But after it warms up gears will not engage at all. Tranny has a whine or buzzing sound like its trying to grab a gear but just cant..... When he first explained it to me he told me 2 hi was all the way down on the shifter all though after looking in the manual 4 lo is all the way down... So I'm unsure if he drove it all that way in 4lo and severely hurt the tranny or tcase.... Am I better off just throwing a new tcase in and goin from there or taking it to a shop and possibly end up being rapped with a new tranny or god knows wat any input is much appreciated....

Other info..... 5.9 motor 46rh transmission np231 tcase with 3.72 ratio this is my first dodge I have always wanted one and don't want it to be a bad experience thank you

iSlacker816

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 (360ci) Magnum
Honestly take it to the dealership and let them diag it. You'll find out what exactly is wrong with it and then you can go from there rather than just throwing parts at it.

OP
OP
B

Benihonas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That's wat I was thinking just didn't know if someone has had the same problem and could solve it without have to haul my truck to the next town.... I'm hoping it's nothing major I want to drive my new truck have had it 2 weeks and just been able to start and look at it I'll keep updates of progress wish me luck

Trupiano

Reaction score
Hometown : Puyallup,WA Stationed : Little Rock,
Ram Year
2010 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD Crew Cab
Engine
6.7L CTD
Instead of the dealer charging you a bunch of $$$ to diagnose and fix it, you could take it to a tranny shop to diagnose it for free (usually) and the fix/rebuild will prolly be cheaper as well.

Tapatalk'in

Mopar1973Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996, 2002
Engine
1996 Dodge 1500 (V8-5.9L) & 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 (5.9L Cummins)
Time to just pull it out and send the transmission in and let them rebulid it. Regardless the truck is basically un-driveable and the trans needs to be rebuild/repaired.

But now after its repaired I would install a trans temp gauge to protect it from failure. Also the previous owner might not of kept up with regular fluid changes and band adjustments so the only way you'll know what's wrong is drop the trans and open it up.

SmokedRam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Do what I did and try to find you a trans shop that has prebuilt transmissions on the shelf and it will save ya some money and down time. I researched a shop about 50 miles from me for the trans in my Gen2..total cost was just at $1200...and that included a lifetime warranty on the trans, aftermarket trans cooler and replacing three bad freeze plugs.

OP
OP
B

Benihonas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Dropped it off at the transmission shop yesterday I should know by the middle of the week wat the damage is and if he can fix it cheaper then wat it will cost for a new tranny I'll have him do it I found a new transmission for 700 I just don't have the time to work on it my self

johnnyjaws98

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 1500 ram 4x4
Engine
skid steers are heavey! man he cooked that trans whinning means it needs a band ajustment you can buy a new monster trans for 1000.00 way better then a rebuild

talon6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 QCSB 4X4
Engine
supercharged 5.9
skid steers are heavey! man he cooked that trans whinning means it needs a band ajustment you can buy a new monster trans for 1000.00 way better then a rebuild

whats this monster trans for 1000$ you speak of?

SmokedRam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Where are you finding them for $1000? Their site lists them for $1700 and thats without a new TQ and with only a 30 day warranty...you're looking at $2000 after you ship the core back with only a 30 day warranty...the only way to get their 3 year warranty is to spend another $300 on a new TQ, buy that time you've already got $2300 into it.

And Monster Trannies are rebuilds too...not BRAND NEW

OP
OP
B

Benihonas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well I'll be spending 2k on a he rebuild with 3 year unlimited mile warranty..... Mechanic said the transmission was toast..... So all together with purchasing the truck and tranny rebuild I'll only be into It 4k on a 97 with only 79k miles I think I got a good deal I say the same year truck with triple the miles for 7.5k in the next town over.... Should have my first ram in about 2weeks I'm stoked to get her in my possession and fully functional

SmokedRam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you can afford it...have him run an aftermarket trans cooler and new lines so it's not running through the ****** check valve line that came from the factory.

OP
OP
B

Benihonas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Alright I'll talk to him today and see how much that will run

streak379

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 5.2
sounds good, post up picks when you get it back!

OP
OP
B

Benihonas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
only pic i have at the moment its off the for sale add

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 33
OP
OP
B

Benihonas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Get the truck bright and early tomorrow morning :0) get to drive it for the first time