Just thinking, Mobil 1 5/20 or 5/30?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mcamzr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Just thinking, Mobil 1 5/20 or 5/30? In a bone stock 05 5.7. The truck is used for driving around town and hauling my sleds and atv in the winter.

Mopar_Express

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Guys have had issues running 5W/30 go with what is recommended from the factory.

OP
OP
M

mcamzr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Ok. So his is what got me to posting this question. I have had this truck since new December 04. It's a 05 ram. Since I worked at a Chrysler dealer when I bought it I got 2 owners manuals, one to read and one to keep sealed up in case I were to sell the truck. The manual I opened calls for 5/30. Since I'm not going to sell the truck I opened the other manual and it calls for 5/20. Both are for the same 05 ram truck and ordered off the vin. At the dealer they say 5/20 but the auto parts store says 5/30. I was told a while back that the 5/20 was for EPA reasons and per Chrysler techs they would never use 5/20. However I believe that the experience of this site has more knowledge than 2techs at a dealer. Also what kind of issues have people ran into with the 5/30. And thanks again. And this truck has had Mobil one since the first lof.

Mopar_Express

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I didnt even see the year in your profile, you would probably have better luck getting a good answer in the third gen forum but if the truck doesnt have mds it probably doesnt matter as much. Does your oil cap have a stamp on it with what is recommended?

AirborneSilva

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I didnt even see the year in your profile, you would probably have better luck getting a good answer in the third gen forum but if the truck doesnt have mds it probably doesnt matter as much. Does your oil cap have a stamp on it with what is recommended?

Yeah I missed that too.

OP
OP
M

mcamzr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Woops. I thought I was in the 3rd gen. Fat fingers and a small iPhone

kkreit01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Since it's out of warranty, you can run what you want. I'd still follow the manual though.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
No MDS and driving in the winter??? 0W30!

This, there is no downside from running 0w versus 5w and the upside is it is better in winter like the Chew man says. The w in your oil weight stands for the flow rate in "Winter". Lower number = better flow, and when your engine is warm the 30 is the viscosity that is relevant. As a side note I would run 0w30 until and if you started getting Hemi tick, and then maybe I would change to 5w20 or in your case 0w20 for cold areas. Bottom line 30 weight protects your engine better on long runs, but 20 weight get your engine lubed faster at startup.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mcamzr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Well it already ticks. Noticed it right after I replaced the idler pulleys for the belt (had a bad Bering). I thought about that Aces IV fuel stuff for that (maybe,I don't know). I have been running 5/30 Mobil one since the first lof but the 0w isn't a bad thought. I run 0/40 in my sled. Do you think the 0w would make the tick worse?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
0w would make it better if anything, better flow better at cold temps. How bad does it tick? Like a knock or just normal engine cadence? So your best choice would be to try both 0w20 and 0w30 and see if your tick is better or the same. If it is the same with both oils, 0w30 will protect the engine better. And you might want to read the syn thread for better options in oil choice if your engine is ticking too.

OP
OP
M

mcamzr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
It's the normal tick. I can here it if the truck is parked running in my driveway (I live in the country with no other noise) but I can't here it if there is any other noise around. I will check out the syn to see what is out there. But I do feel a little funny about switching from Mobil one, though I have no good reason to feel that way.

bouf0010

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I went from mobil 1 to royal purple, tick quieted down, went back to mobil 1 (free oil change) and the tick came back, enough that im dumping that oil after 600 miles and ordered some redline.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk

OP
OP
M

mcamzr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
So I went and found the syn thread and after reading it I'm thinking of switching to Amsoil 0/30 SS and perhaps their filter as I can find it near me pretty easy. The only thing that has me waiting is that when I put the intercepter in a sled I had I had really bad luck with it oil leak, blown motors ext. probably not the fault of the oil but rather the dealer that kept fixing it. ( should have don't it myself). But just saying it is holding me back a bit. Also maybe a slumber question. But would I run into any issue with switching from the Mobil one 5/30 that I have been running since break in?

OP
OP
M

mcamzr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Or I can get the royal purple 5/30

OP
OP
M

mcamzr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I just changed my oil and went with redline 0w30. Now I have only let the truck run for about 40 min or so but I can say he tick is gone at start up but once the truck warms up it seems to be louder when standing next to the drivers door