Kayak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I priced out the Thule system, they sure are proud of their products. For $1200 I can buy a nice adjustable bed rack that works with my Bakflip.

Thule makes several excellent rack systems but depending on your budget, the top end is beyond my reality, price-wise.

Like I said, I bought the most basic Thule rack available because it fits well, pretty tough and doesn't wreck my truck with many R&Rs.

There are also other great systems out there but I can't speak to their use. I know from experience that most of the cheaper systems leave souvenirs in the mounting location. If that doesn't concern you, there are endless cheaper rack systems to checkout for much less money.

Canoeing @Burritts Rapids 1.jpg

OP
OP
14 Lonestar

14 Lonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thule makes several excellent rack systems but depending on your budget, the top end is beyond my reality, price-wise.

Like I said, I bought the most basic Thule rack available because it fits well, pretty tough and doesn't wreck my truck with many R&Rs.

There are also other great systems out there but I can't speak to their use. I know from experience that most of the cheaper systems leave souvenirs in the mounting location. If that doesn't concern you, there are endless cheaper rack systems to checkout for much less money.

View attachment 542967

The Thule square bar Evo kit is $560, another $70 for locks.

OP
OP
14 Lonestar

14 Lonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Are there 4 load stops in the box or just 1 for $95?

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OP
OP
14 Lonestar

14 Lonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am aware of that law, one of the reasons that I don’t want to load it in the bed.
OK, just posting FYI for whomever as a lot of PPL are not aware, especially in TX, but heck, in this county, U be lucky if a trailer even has (1) light working, LOL.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I need to get to the water first :cool:
There's water in TX? OH yeah, I forgot, we got some rain, LOL. For the 1st time, resevoirs and Lakes around here are actually over 100%, it's a miracle. They actually talking of letting dams flow extra down stream, that gonna hit the downstream PPLs hard.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It would be if I had a place to put it, also registration and insurance would be an additional yearly cost.
Yeah, plates for a trailer, PITA. It costs me $77 for my stock 14' trailer, since I do not have an AG exempt. Now on insurance, I have an addendum attached to my Vehicle Insurance on the trailer for full Comprehensive and Collision, with a $250 deductible for $68 for 6 months, instead of having a separate policy.

OP
OP
14 Lonestar

14 Lonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yeah, plates for a trailer, PITA. It costs me $77 for my stock 14' trailer, since I do not have an AG exempt. Now on insurance, I have an addendum attached to my Vehicle Insurance on the trailer for full Comprehensive and Collision, with a $250 deductible for $68 for 6 months, instead of having a separate policy.
Even trying to renew a drivers license in this state is a PITA

OP
OP
14 Lonestar

14 Lonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank you to everyone that responded to my question, I ended up ordering this to carry the 2 kayaks https://realtruck.com/production/ad...168/c/70/2c2e7d36f9eec77ce8aeb980c4684af5.jpg. I got the military discount and free shipping, should have it by Saturday. Now I’m off to buy the kayaks. I almost forgot, any suggestions for a decent set folding of J-bars.

You're most welcome.

In my experience with buying racking systems, most optional parts like J-bar mounts are specific to the rack.

If I were buying a new rack, I would not buy anything until I've explored all of the optional add-ons because most manufacturers make everything to be a unique fit and not compatible with other racks.

You might consider contacting RealTruck customer support to discuss installing J-bars onto that rack.

OP
OP
14 Lonestar

14 Lonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You're most welcome.

In my experience with buying racking systems, most optional parts like J-bar mounts are specific to the rack.

If I were buying a new rack, I would not buy anything until I've explored all of the optional add-ons because most manufacturers make everything to be a unique fit and not compatible with other racks.

You might consider contacting RealTruck customer support to discuss installing J-bars onto that rack.

I already spoke with them about it yesterday when I ordered it. They offered to sell me some but I did not like the style. The crossbars are slotted on top and bottom, I have found some J bars that I like I am just waiting on a response from the company. FWIW, the rack can support up to 550#

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Kayak Trailer or Lumber rack, I will be here all the week if there are any other q's.

Check out Billie bars as well.

Duskybay

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
What is the best way to transport Kayaks? I know that there are bed racks available but I think it might e difficult since I have a Bakflip installed. Any suggestions would be appreciated. BTW, I have the 6 1/2 foot bed.
I bought a simple T-rack that fits into the tow hitch. The kayaks (2) lay flat, and just tie them down. I carried mine from Ohio to Florida that way. You just have to park in long doors, or back into open areas.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Given your updated info, I would be inclined to get a good roof rack.

I didn't screw around buying any fancy boat attachments, I just have a basic Thule with locking bases.

The Thule rack system is stupidly expensive but it fits the truck well and provides a secure method of transporting a canoe or kayaks.

And after installing it and removing it about 18 times, it left no damage or souvenirs on my truck.

IIRC, I paid about $900 Canadastan dollars about 2 years ago.

I have a 15' Carbon Kevlar canoe and not willing to gamble with a POS cheap rack.

If your kayaks are polyethylene or not too expensive, you might consider a cheaper rack.

Plop the kayaks on top, before loading the box. Toss 2 pieces of webbing with cam locks over top of the kayaks to secure them to each cross member on the rack.

I bought several sets for a few $ from Dollarama, they were exactly the same as the $16 set from Canadian Tire.

After loading the box, use a single loop of rope (about 4' long approximately) through the bow & stern grab loops, passing the loop through itself to create a single point of attachment. One loop on each end.

Connect the rope loops onto a V shaped set of webbing with ratcheting cams. Anchor the webbing under the bumper. I use the holes in the frame at the rear.

The V-straps were crazy expensive, I've had them for many years. I'll get pictures and post.

I'll try to find some pictures but likely only have canoe pictures using the rack.

If you're interested in learning more about using this type of system, I have a couple of other tips to save grief and improve your travel enjoyment.

Roof rack is way to go.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kdog57