Key Fob Acting Up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheDonVon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Have been having some intermittent issues with the key fob of my 2013 Ram 1500 sport. It was starting to act up like 2 weeks ago and the remote start would only work once in a while and the unlock and lock would act finicky once and a while. Over the past couple weeks it has gotten much worse and at this point the remote start never works, and the unlock and lock buttons are working very infrequently. Sometimes I get in the truck and it doesn't even detect the fob, until I play with it and hit the lock or unlock button a bunch of times until it registers and then the trucks will turn on.

I changed out the battery in the FOBs, and am thinking it is some module in the truck. What module in the truck could be going bad/have gone bad that would cause the truck not to register the commands from the Fob?

I tried searching, but the guys that posted similar issues had it resolved via other means that are not indicated by the issues I am having. Appreciate the help everyone!

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

Buddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Had the same issues few years ago, changed out the battery as well. Ended up getting a brand new fob - it was still under warranty at this time. Dealer said yea they sometimes screw up. Not saying your fob is pooched, just that dealer replaced mine doing same type of issues.

NJMOPAR

Older and faster
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Open the fob, remove the rubber covering the buttons. Make sure all the contact disks are in place, If not a dab of crazy glue will hold them.
Clean the circuit board with rubbing alcohol and
reassemble.

OP
OP
T

TheDonVon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Open the fob, remove the rubber covering the buttons. Make sure all the contact disks are in place, If not a dab of crazy glue will hold them.
Clean the circuit board with rubbing alcohol and
reassemble.
I'll double check, I did see this discussed when I searched. But didn't think this would apply in my case because one of the symptoms I am seeing is the fob is not being detected by the truck when I approach and touch the door handles (i have the keyless entry system) and also when I go to start the truck I get the notification "key fob not detected"

Tim C

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is it just the one fob? If so, this might not apply, but as I just happened to note in another thread, it could be the TIPM. I started having troubles with unlock/lock, roll down the windows from the fob as well as remote start. Eventually the truck would not start (just turn over). Turns out a pin in the TIPM rusted out.

OP
OP
T

TheDonVon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is it just the one fob? If so, this might not apply, but as I just happened to note in another thread, it could be the TIPM. I started having troubles with unlock/lock, roll down the windows from the fob as well as remote start. Eventually the truck would not start (just turn over). Turns out a pin in the TIPM rusted out.
How did you diagnose the TIPM? Were you getting any fault codes?

cobracnvt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
You can buy just the rubber button cover for the key fob on Amazon and Ebay for under $10.