Key fob + LED third brake light = fob not detected?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bandit517

That Trials Guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've read a bunch about a variety of problems with key fob signals in correlational to LED cargo lights and 3rd brake light. I put Luminex LED lights in mine (Both cargo and 3rd brake light) and didn't notice an immediate problem so I thought my truck was good to go and didn't suffer the same issue that others seem to have. But I've been finding myself with key fob issues lately that I want to track down and was curious if anyone else had the same problems and if they found a solution. I keep my keys (and fob) on a carabiner on my belt loop. Every so often I'll try to start the truck and it'll say "Fob not detected" Once I removed my carabiner from my belt loop and set it in the console the truck will start perfectly fine. I have one original fob and 2 aftermarket fobs, all with new batteries, and they all do the same thing. However, it is intermittent so it's hard to replicate on demand for more through diagnosis. Also, again intermittently, when exiting the truck I can't lock it with the fob or with the button on the exterior door handle. I haven't checked to see if it will let me lock it with the interior button or not. It always unlocks for me perfectly fine, both with the fob and with simply grabbing the handle with the fob on my belt loop. I'm stumped on that part, since it always unlocks, but sometimes doesn't detect the fob to start or lock the truck.

I don't really want to swap light back out again to "wait and see" if it's fixed since it's not a constant problem.

Agang4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've read a bunch about a variety of problems with key fob signals in correlational to LED cargo lights and 3rd brake light. I put Luminex LED lights in mine (Both cargo and 3rd brake light) and didn't notice an immediate problem so I thought my truck was good to go and didn't suffer the same issue that others seem to have. But I've been finding myself with key fob issues lately that I want to track down and was curious if anyone else had the same problems and if they found a solution. I keep my keys (and fob) on a carabiner on my belt loop. Every so often I'll try to start the truck and it'll say "Fob not detected" Once I removed my carabiner from my belt loop and set it in the console the truck will start perfectly fine. I have one original fob and 2 aftermarket fobs, all with new batteries, and they all do the same thing. However, it is intermittent so it's hard to replicate on demand for more through diagnosis. Also, again intermittently, when exiting the truck I can't lock it with the fob or with the button on the exterior door handle. I haven't checked to see if it will let me lock it with the interior button or not. It always unlocks for me perfectly fine, both with the fob and with simply grabbing the handle with the fob on my belt loop. I'm stumped on that part, since it always unlocks, but sometimes doesn't detect the fob to start or lock the truck.

I don't really want to swap light back out again to "wait and see" if it's fixed since it's not a constant problem.
I was having similar issues with key fob not detected , as dumb as it sounds try taking your key fob apart all the way, gently squeeze the battery tight to the circuit board and press your remote start button and see what happens. I had help and this is actually what my issue was. I found some thin foam (maybe 1/8") that I cut a piece out from and placed it behind the battery.
Both of my fobs were doing the same and it fixed both. Door handle sensors now work like they should along with the remote start

Attachments

• FE0DC51B-9F47-442E-B126-AE58FAC05C1F.png
    FE0DC51B-9F47-442E-B126-AE58FAC05C1F.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 4