Key fob problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Runaround

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
On my 2014 Tradesman. Sometimes when I turn my fob to start I get a message saying “wrong key fob” and nothing happens. If I turn it back to the off position and then try to restart, the truck will start. This is one of the original key fobs for this truck.
What is happening? Is my fob going bad or maybe my ignition switch or is it something else?
Sometimes when I turn it to start it works as it should.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
On my 2014 Tradesman. Sometimes when I turn my fob to start I get a message saying “wrong key fob” and nothing happens. If I turn it back to the off position and then try to restart, the truck will start. This is one of the original key fobs for this truck.
What is happening? Is my fob going bad or maybe my ignition switch or is it something else?
Sometimes when I turn it to start it works as it should.
When did you last change the batteries? Is it all FOBs or just one?

OP
OP
Runaround

Runaround

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have only one FOB. I thought the batteries were only for the lock unlock operation of the doors. I don’t know how old the battery is. I think I have replaced it but don’t remember.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I have only one FOB. I thought the batteries were only for the lock unlock operation of the doors. I don’t know how old the battery is. I think I have replaced it but don’t remember.
Well I'd definitely start with a battery swap. That's an inexpensive place to start.

16Ram4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My 2016 Express did that to me when it was under a year old.
Inserted key fob and try to start the truck and get the message "wrong key fob" .
Fist the dealership replaced the ignition switch and said it was something wrong with a sensor inside it, plus they needed both key fobs to reflash the RF hub.
The second time that "wrong key fob" happened was less than two weeks later. This second time the dealership replaced the RF hub and flashed my two key fobs to work with it.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
OK, watch this video, he cleans the inside of the FOB & changed out the battery, even though the old one was still good

some times the little disks that are part of the Case itself have come loose, in that case, you can buy just a empty case that is made for your FOB

this guy show how you can use a flexible glue to stick those contacts back into place

one more more thing to look for ..
under the battery, look closely, there is a tiny spring under the battery, you can carefully bend that little spring to put a bit more pressure onto the battery

besides looking on Amazon for an OUTER fob case, other online stores & maybe Locksmiths carry just the FOB case

OP
OP
Runaround

Runaround

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok, this is really giving me trouble the last two days. I found my other fob and put new batteries in both and still I have to turn the fob back and forth lots of times before it will start. I noticed I can’t even get it out of park and the key in ignition warning alert doesn’t even work when I open the door with these fobs in the switch. If and when it does start the alert works. What is bad? All I can find in line is push button switches which is not the correct switch either.

OP
OP
Runaround

Runaround

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok I found my second fob, changed batteries in both and still no difference. I noticed when the fob is in the ignition switch and you open the door the chime doesn’t alert you. When I do get the truck started the chime does work. I also noticed even with the FOB in the run position I can’t get it out of park and also when the FOB is on the ignition switch the doors can still be locked remotely.
So I either have two FOBs going bad or the ignition switch isn’t sensing the FOBs. Is there some way of telling which is my problem?
Everywhere I’ve looked online for a new switch it shows a push button switch, but mine isn’t this type.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Ok I found my second fob, changed batteries in both and still no difference. I noticed when the fob is in the ignition switch and you open the door the chime doesn’t alert you. When I do get the truck started the chime does work. I also noticed even with the FOB in the run position I can’t get it out of park and also when the FOB is on the ignition switch the doors can still be locked remotely.
So I either have two FOBs going bad or the ignition switch isn’t sensing the FOBs. Is there some way of telling which is my problem?
Everywhere I’ve looked online for a new switch it shows a push button switch, but mine isn’t this type.
I'm winging it here but I feel like I've read of folks having similar issues when their WIN module was bad? Maybe search the forum for that? If memory serves, folks were replacing them and programming with AlfaOBD.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I was told by a locksmith that the problem would be the WIN Module, more or less the ignition switch. I’ve got one ordered, so we shall see.
Same issue mine started out as wrong key and then crapped out starts sometimes if i juggle it the right way or hold it to start my new WIN/ignition switch comes tomorrow cost me $150 Il let you know if it fixes it 2014 tradesman aswell.

OP
OP
Runaround

Runaround

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Update. I got a new WIN module in, installed it and it’s still hit or miss if it starts. I’m trying both fobs and even turning them over. I can’t even find a pattern as to which FOB works and which direction, it is so random.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Update. I got a new WIN module in, installed it and it’s still hit or miss if it starts. I’m trying both fobs and even turning them over. I can’t even find a pattern as to which FOB works and which direction, it is so random.
Unfortunately same Im diggign into my wires now found some sketchy ****.

OP
OP
Runaround

Runaround

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I got back with the locksmith and he made me a new FOBand everything is working fine, for now anyway.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I got back with the locksmith and he made me a new FOBand everything is working fine, for now anyway.
Yep same just got a ne key so far working good I usually program my fobiks but my scanner is to old for a 2014 just paid $200...

OP
OP
Runaround

Runaround

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did you replace your WIN module too, just curious because I replaced both the module and the GOB and everything is working perfectly again.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did you replace your WIN module too, just curious because I replaced both the module and the GOB and everything is working perfectly again.
got a new WIN once I realized it was not the issue sent it back put old one back in it was just both my fobs at the end of the day I guess the chips where going bad?

OP
OP
Runaround

Runaround

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This morning I pulled the FOB out and I got the key in ignition chime, so I put the FOB back in and turned it on and back off and everything was fine then. I could care less now because it is going to the dealer today as a trade in.
I bought a 2018 2500 crew cab, long bed, Cummins yesterday.

Attachments

• IMG_0669.jpeg
    IMG_0669.jpeg
    234.3 KB · Views: 2

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
This morning I pulled the FOB out and I got the key in ignition chime, so I put the FOB back in and turned it on and back off and everything was fine then. I could care less now because it is going to the dealer today as a trade in.
I bought a 2018 2500 crew cab, long bed, Cummins yesterday.
Good find. Especially if you're in the need of the long bed.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat