Key FOB - Proximity?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

suicideking

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7, 4X4, Sport and Tow packages.
I bought a '23 Big Horn on Sunday. On my wife's Ford, if she has the key FOB, she can just open the door without having to use the unlock button. On my truck, I do have to hit the unlock button.

So assuming it doesn't have the option to just walk up and open the door? You have to always press the unlock button? Assuming this is correct, is the proximity unlock an option as part of a package?

stevenP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 2500 Longhorn
Engine
6.7L Cummins
The touch and go feature is definitely an option. And I have found my FCA fobs seems to like to be kinda close to work everytime.

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
Different fobs push button start vs fob as key ?

I think you can turn it off or on through the touch screen

Owners manual might say more

OP
OP
suicideking

suicideking

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Different fobs push button start vs fob as key ?

I think you can turn it off or on through the touch screen

Owners manual might say more

I do have push to start. So should it be an option? Or has to be in a package?

OP
OP
suicideking

suicideking

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The touch and go feature is definitely an option. And I have found my FCA fobs seems to like to be kinda close to work everytime.

So would it list 'touch and go' on the sticker?

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
My 2016 Ram FOB, has to be inserted in the Ignition to Start

F.O.B. is shortened from frequency operated button, but it is actually shortened from
FOBIK is shortened from . Finger Operated Button Integrated Key

1711582133885.png

Smart FOB, also called a RKE, Remote Keyless Entry
it never has to leave your pocket or purse

1711582415719.png

the 3rd type of Dodge Key, is called a Transponder Key
It has a CHIP in it, that communicates with the Ignition
ppl use them if the are doing things like water sports, hiking, para gliding

1711583318453.png

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 Laramie 4x4 QC, True Blue Pearl
Engine
5.7L Hemi
So would it list 'touch and go' on the sticker?

I have seen it called RKE (Remote Keyless Entry) but on my 2014 it is listed this way, see pic.

It is not "keyless" on my truck. I must have the key on my person somewhere, in my pocket, in my hand, whatever. But no button-pushing is required.
If my truck is locked and my wife tries to open her door, she can't get in even when I am standing 1 foot behind her.
However, if I simply put my hand on her shoulder the door will unlock. They key can remain in my pocket as I push the start button to start the truck.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-03-27 194102.png
    Screenshot 2024-03-27 194102.png
    80 KB · Views: 7

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
I do have push to start. So should it be an option? Or has to be in a package?
The link is to down load a user manual specific to your VIN number then all options are present and how they are accessed if your truck has them. The PDF is searchable and has active links that are indexed and user friendly

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I bought a '23 Big Horn on Sunday. On my wife's Ford, if she has the key FOB, she can just open the door without having to use the unlock button. On my truck, I do have to hit the unlock button.

So assuming it doesn't have the option to just walk up and open the door? You have to always press the unlock button? Assuming this is correct, is the proximity unlock an option as part of a package?
Ram calls it passive entry and lock. It is not available as an option at all on Big Horn and Tradesman trims, and is a standard feature on all the rest of the trim levels.
You can add it yourself after the fact.

Deercamp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Despite ordering the Level B Equipment Group package ($3,845), my Bighorn 1500 fob requires pushing the unlock button. When the salesman did a follow up call to see how i liked the truck i mentioned this and he said that the feature is not available on the model i ordered.

Also, i had stored SmartKey fobs in the same drawer. My 2014 Mercedes fobs began working sporadically shortly after getting the Ram. I assumed the fob batteries needed replacement. Not the case. Then went to MB E350 owner’s manual. Page 88, has the following warning “Keep the SmartKey away from strong magnetic fields. Otherwise the remote control function could be affected.” Then examples of electronic fields were provided, one of which is “a mobile phone or another SmartKey.” I now store the Ram and MB SmartKey fobs separately. Since separating the fobs, the Mercedes fobs have been working properly again.

Last edited:

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 Laramie 4x4 QC, True Blue Pearl
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Despite ordering the Level B Equipment Group package ($3,845), my Bigfoot 1500 fob requires pushing the unlock button. When the salesman did a follow up call to see how i liked the truck i mentioned this and he said that the feature is not available on the model i ordered.

Also, i had stored SmartKey fobs in the same drawer. My 2014 Mercedes fobs began working sporadically shortly after getting the Ram. I assumed the fob batteries needed replacement. Not the case. Then went to MB E350 owner’s manual. Page 88, has the following warning “Keep the SmartKey away from strong magnetic fields. Otherwise the remote control function could be affected.” Then examples of electronic fields were provided, one of which is “a mobile phone or another SmartKey.” I now store the Ram and MB SmartKey fobs separately. Since separating the fobs, the Mercedes fobs have been working properly again.

It may be time for me to order a couple small Faraday bags.
I have been keeping my spare RKE and my wife's FOB in the same jar. I've often wondered about my doing that but I think it's time to stop wondering and get on it.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7

That is an option, part of a package on the higher end trim models. Yes, U have to push button to open door. What you are looking for is Passive Entry System, see URL:

ADDED: Beware: Your Key Fob can transmit a long distance. I can be in my kitchen, which is opposite the living room. LR to main door out to truck. Like more than 50 feet away, and hit key, and house door is closed. I also have a steel roof which dampens signals, and I can still open and remote start my truck. SO when U R in an area that U have to be concerned about PPL trying to steal signals covertly to steal stuff, maybe walking around with your keys in a Faraday bag and not remote starting and opening your truck from far away may not be a bad idea. Just IMHO.

Last edited:
OP
OP
suicideking

suicideking

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That is an option, part of a package on the higher end trim models. Yes, U have to push button to open door. What you are looking for is Passive Entry System, see URL:

ADDED: Beware: Your Key Fob can transmit a long distance. I can be in my kitchen, which is opposite the living room. LR to main door out to truck. Like more than 50 feet away, and hit key, and house door is closed. I also have a steel roof which dampens signals, and I can still open and remote start my truck. SO when U R in an area that U have to be concerned about PPL trying to steal signals covertly to steal stuff, maybe walking around with your keys in a Faraday bag and not remote starting and opening your truck from far away may not be a bad idea. Just IMHO.

Ok, makes sense. Don't think I would pay that much for the parts though.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I find mine opens half of the time with the key in my pocket to auto unlock the door for me unless my hands are full in the rain. Then I have to dig through my pockets and use the unlock button on the fob what feels like every time.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm curious to know if FCA has an option for unlocking that is completely hands-free where all the doors unlock when you stand close with the FOB in your pocket. Does anyone have this feature?

IIRC, the option I have is called 'Touch & Go' where I have to have the FOB nearby (in a pocket) and then slide my hand into either of the front door handles and, all doors unlock.

AFAIK, I can also push the button on either front door handle to unlock.

The buttons on the door handles are only for locking.

Unlocking is with the FOB or swipe the inside of the door handles with FOB in pocket.

Last edited:

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There are different options and setups depending upon option package and trim level. Without researching I would not know. Just lowly optioned Bighorn here with reg RKE key Fob.

TotallyHucked

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport CCLWB
Engine
Yep, on lower trim levels you have to push the unlock button on the FOB. This was a must have option for me, I got spoiled with it on my last vehicle (Ford Fusion Titanium). It's so nice to just walk up, grab the handle and all 4 doors and tailgate unlock. Then just push the little button on the outside of the handle and all doors (and tailgate) lock.

OP
OP
suicideking

suicideking

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yep, on lower trim levels you have to push the unlock button on the FOB. This was a must have option for me, I got spoiled with it on my last vehicle (Ford Fusion Titanium). It's so nice to just walk up, grab the handle and all 4 doors and tailgate unlock. Then just push the little button on the outside of the handle and all doors (and tailgate) lock.

Yup, that's how it is on my wife's Ford Expedition. I still wouldn't buy a higher trim level just for that though.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yup, that's how it is on my wife's Ford Expedition. I still wouldn't buy a higher trim level just for that though.

The link Turkeybird56 gave above for the kit is quite reasonable considering today’s prices. I’m assuming it contains everything needed to add the proximity handles to a 5th gen truck. I have a 2018 4th gen BigHorn and added Keyless and Go myself in 2019. My parts alone were almost a grand including the push button start and new fobs five years ago. First world problems LOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357