Key FOB - Proximity?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The link Turkeybird56 gave above for the kit is quite reasonable considering today’s prices. I’m assuming it contains everything needed to add the proximity handles to a 5th gen truck. I have a 2018 4th gen BigHorn and added Keyless and Go myself in 2019. My parts alone were almost a grand including the push button start and new fobs five years ago. First world problems LOL
TO ANYONE: Before U just HIT this link and order: U need to research the site and make sure it is compatible to your truck/year. I did not go crazy on web site. There may be other similar offers-parts but different parts depending upon the year of your vehicle and trims etc.,. .

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
This can be added to the 5th gen 1500s for about $250 cheaper than the nismopar kit if you source the 5 parts yourself from bamwholesale, and get the harnesses from me.

TotallyHucked

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport CCLWB
Engine
Yup, that's how it is on my wife's Ford Expedition. I still wouldn't buy a higher trim level just for that though.
No, I agree with you there. But I was already shopping for a Sport with the R/T hood so once I was there, just had to find one with that option along with other must-haves.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
My 14 sport came that way, handy, fob is always just in the pocket. but could be a problem I guess if you lived where the **** steals truck, mine is always in the garage

Hardracer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 1500 laramie 4x4 crew cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That is an option, part of a package on the higher end trim models. Yes, U have to push button to open door. What you are looking for is Passive Entry System, see URL:

ADDED: Beware: Your Key Fob can transmit a long distance. I can be in my kitchen, which is opposite the living room. LR to main door out to truck. Like more than 50 feet away, and hit key, and house door is closed. I also have a steel roof which dampens signals, and I can still open and remote start my truck. SO when U R in an area that U have to be concerned about PPL trying to steal signals covertly to steal stuff, maybe walking around with your keys in a Faraday bag and not remote starting and opening your truck from far away may not be a bad idea. Just IMHO.

I've been well over 100yds away and forgot to lock my truck..still in line of site of my truck...and locked it..
Work in a big steel building been able to remote start more than 50yds away...tripped it 1 day in my pocket...fellow worker comes up to and said your truck just started...I said waaaaa?

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've been well over 100yds away and forgot to lock my truck..still in line of site of my truck...and locked it..
Work in a big steel building been able to remote start more than 50yds away...tripped it 1 day in my pocket...fellow worker comes up to and said your truck just started...I said waaaaa?
YUP, they are potent buggers, why in Big crowds, city, wateva, Faraday Pouch a Good Thing.

hamco

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've got a problem with my smart fob not working after shutting off my 2021 3500 in certain location in our major city. Dealer said same issue in our other major city. Key FOB NOT Detected even when holding it on the start pushbutton. Dealer tested FOB and had transmit power up to spec. Seems like the passive signal is weak from FOB, and truck is overwhelmed by radio interference in some locations. Would be nice if FCA could address this issue with a different frequency, or a work around, because in our cold climate I don't want to get stranded. A conventional key switch would have been helpful. Service tech had no solution. He even had to rescue his daughter when she got stranded. Is 5G the culprit?

KeithP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT
I've got a problem with my smart fob not working after shutting off my 2021 3500 in certain location in our major city. Dealer said same issue in our other major city. Key FOB NOT Detected even when holding it on the start pushbutton. Dealer tested FOB and had transmit power up to spec. Seems like the passive signal is weak from FOB, and truck is overwhelmed by radio interference in some locations. Would be nice if FCA could address this issue with a different frequency, or a work around, because in our cold climate I don't want to get stranded. A conventional key switch would have been helpful. Service tech had no solution. He even had to rescue his daughter when she got stranded. Is 5G the culprit?
A couple years ago when I had my 19 1500; parked in a grocery store lot, came out w/grocerys +\- 20 minutes later. FOB was dead, or so it seemed, wouldn’t unlock the doors, wouldn’t start even when holding it on the start button. Two other vehicles next to me, both GM products, had the same problem. We were parked within one spot of one of those solar powered portable parking lot CCT towers. After about 15 minutes of frustration from all of us all three vehicles started and all was normal. We figured the tower was uploading data and blocking our FOBs.