Key fob

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JUANGOODUDE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I'm looking to buy an extra key fob for my 2017 longhorn.
Need it to be with auto start. I guess I get the key cut at dealer and, how do I program it?

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Did you search it out on this forum or other 4th gen forums? There's a lot of stuff on fobs....

Believer45

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6/7 Cummins
I called around and found a locksmith near me who sells, programs and cuts the auxiliary key for a LOT less than a dealership. I bought one for my 2011 and it works perfectly. Auto start, remote roll down front windows plus all the expected functions. Cost if I recall correctly was $125 programmed and auxiliary key cut plus tax and they provided the fob. Has been working for a couple years now.

Dave / Believer45

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I drove to a locksmith store
the regular techs were out on calls, with the company vans

There was 2 women running the store, one of them had enough training to run the special machine that was in a suitcase.
I told them about my issue.
They had just about every FOB made hanging on a back wall.
I handed her my good FOB & walked to a store to get a soda.
I walked back to the locksmith & the woman followed me into the door.
She had taken about 20 to 25 minutes to program my FOB & test it, then cut me a Valet Key
i paid about 1/2 the price that the dealership would have charged
$145.98

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I know of two hardware stores around here which can make/program fobs too. Call around..talk to the larger stores. The equipment and software to do it is expensive and it takes some time, but there might be a store in your area. Of course the dealer can do it too.

Two yrs ago I needed a special RFID key and new fob for a Jeep we have. Wife lost the key and we only had one set ...with a teen driver too. I called around, did the online pricing thing, etc. In the end it was more expensive, but not a *whole* lot more expensive to buy them from the dealer and have them do it. I think it was $40 more ...but that's with a new RFID key & fob. I think the whole thing was $180 (again, two items) and vehicle programming. The RFID key takes the Mopar unit to program.

But for that money I got an original Jeep key and the RIGHT Jeep fob that works great. So for me it was worth it to spend the extra $$. That way I don't have to mess with aftermarket stuff. I have had aftermarket fobs in years past which had terrible range, and one other aftermarket fob (years ago) you had to be right at the vehicle window to unlock the doors (even with new batteries). I had two fobs like that. But the new Factory Mopar fob works a long ways away like it should.

Anyway, about 4-5 months later my wife FOUND the lost fob/key set ...in one of her spring coats (plural) pocket! LOL. (which is where I surmised it would end up being), and kid off to college. Now we have a 3rd spare set we don't need! LOL.

The hardware store I talked to said their fobs had a long range and they had a warranty of like 6mo or a yr. So I'm not saying they had lousy fobs. I imagine they would be just fine. So definitely call around. Or a locksmith. My locksmith neighbor said his company stopped doing vehicles quite a while ago b/c the yearly software updates were just too expensive to justify. I thought that was interesting.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat