King shocks backordered/delays due to Covid

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RVA Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was able to pick up a front set of King coilovers, but the rears are on backorder until September. Anyone else running into this issue? Or know of anyone that has these in stock?

Seems like the entire automotive industry is running into this. Everyone's at home working on their trucks I guess.

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It’s not just King........I waited a tic over 3 months for some rear shocks from Bilstein.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's the new normal now after Covid. Back in june last year i wanted longer rear 2.5 shocks and knowing Fox has a longer 2.5 shocks for old model 2500 that fits our 1500's i wanted to try a set thinking i didn't have to wait since somebody may have had a set off the shelves. My local dealer (Accutune offroad) told me 5 months waiting for Fox, 3 months for Kings. i contacted other dealers around and it was the same thing. I went with Kings (Custom lenght) through Accutune just cause i have Kings in the front as well so i had to wait, then had to wait again cause i got the wrong length from King and King had to fix it.

Try any of the the big King dealers and see if by chance they have something available, Filthy Motosports, Accutune, SDHQ offroad, Downsouth Motorsports, Kartek offroad etc etc.

Maybe Nick can move some contacts for you and perhaps find you a set hidden somwehere.. He got me a set of Icon UCA's literally 4 days after i placed my order with him couple of months ago. Woo Wooo :)

Last edited:

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Unfortunately this is becoming more and more common. King is one of the manufacturers that is becoming more of a made to order company these days. Covid is also really hurting these companies from source building materials as well.

Message me with which ones you wanted, OEM Perf, OEM Perf with adjusters, Etc... and I can offer you a quote and an ETA.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Adding to the list that ram1500rsm had, you could also contact Carli or Thuren. I would try Nick first though.

Thuren states a 14-22 week wait for kings right now on his website. Not sure that is current though.

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
Accutune gets stock in I’d check them. Thuren ships out from king. It took 4+ months for my rears.

VelocityC6Z

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Best of luck though... the wait is worth it. You'll kick yourself in the butt if you don't wait, and end up buying what you didn't want later... but you know this lol

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Most of Thuren's Kings are built to order, so the wait is fairly normal. King will valve the shocks to his spec which he has a few different "tunes" for his shocks per application. That is why they are built to order. Too many different flavors to stock at a large cost each.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
yup, new norm...ordered wheels/rims and lowering kit Nov 3rd for Jeep...still waiting on rims. Lowering kit took 4 months.

BillyGoat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I ordered my 2.5 Kings in mid-December and my last update from Thuren said probably another 3 weeks. Seems once I asked for an update at week 12, they updated their website to reflect the newer wait times. So I’m looking at about 4 months unless there is a further delay.

VelocityC6Z

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I ordered my 2.5 Kings in mid-December and my last update from Thuren said probably another 3 weeks. Seems once I asked for an update at week 12, they updated their website to reflect the newer wait times. So I’m looking at about 4 months unless there is a further delay.

Pre-covid my wait was still something like 10 weeks. Unfortunately there's nothing that thuren can do to speed up the process

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
+1 Race shocks are rarely an item you pick off the shelves. I've been buying 2.5 CO's and shocks since 2009. Always waited 8-12weeks cause they're hand made. Sometimes dealers may have a small inventory from leftovers they may have ordered on their own to have availaibity. Typically you pay up front, they make them then deliver to you if you bought OE or they can ship them to the tuners, then the tuner do whatever prep you wanted/needed, then ship to you.

Last edited:
OP
OP
RVA Ram

RVA Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Moral of the story, buy what you actually want the first time, it's cheaper in the long run, haha.

I did get the fronts this week and they are beasts compared to the Fox 2.0's. Dog head for scale...

51052359727_612481b74c_b.jpg

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Moral of the story, buy what you actually want the first time, it's cheaper in the long run, haha.

I did get the fronts this week and they are beasts compared to the Fox 2.0's. Dog head for scale...

51052359727_612481b74c_b.jpg

Wait until they're and you start blasting through dirt roads. Day and nigth difference the truck will be begging for you to step on the gas :). I'm assumning those are the OE ones from King with 500lbs springs ? are you doing the install yourself

Enjoy.

OP
OP
RVA Ram

RVA Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wait until they're and you start blasting through dirt roads. Day and nigth difference the truck will be begging for you to step on the gas :). I'm assumning those are the OE ones from King with 500lbs springs ? are you doing the install yourself

Enjoy.

Yes and yes, I'm thinking I'm going to add maybe 2-3 turns to them to get the truck a bit more leveled as I have the Icon 1.5 springs in rear. Waiting on the Icon UCA to install them though.

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
This parts shortage is across many industries. Try ordering anything with an electronic chip in it. That's everything from any type of control panel to automobile computers and the list goes on. Manufacturers that keep a lot of stock are good for a little while, but many companies buy and build as needed, so their order lead times are long.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes and yes, I'm thinking I'm going to add maybe 2-3 turns to them to get the truck a bit more leveled as I have the Icon 1.5 springs in rear. Waiting on the Icon UCA to install them though.

As data points, notice how one of them may have (mine came this way from King) what it seems to be 1/2 open thread compared to the other been fully closed (no gap between the adjuster and the top cap)

This should be your driver side
46425327081_5cc3d450b3_k.jpg2018-12-22_05-44-10 by RAM RSM, on Flickr

Passenger is flully closed
46425328381_debbea88ad_k.jpg2018-12-22_05-44-21 by RAM RSM, on Flickr

The difference wil account for your driver side lean, so keep that difference when you adjust.

Every 5 full turns will be 1" of lift. 500lbs springs will sag over time even with your factory front bumper so if you did just 2-3 turns, you'll loose some lift over time. Put 5 full turns in them and that should be a good starting point for 2.5", 3 full turns for 2". You can adjust them if you have a vice so it's easier to do that way before installing them. Once installed you'll have to be creative with your tools.

When adjusting the CO's the instructions say to loosen the pinch bolt 1 full turn.
then turn the adjuster clokwise to lift, counter clockwise to lower. then tighthen the pinch bolt, snug is plenty. don't overtorque.

I've documented my experience with them in my built thread, you can start reading from post #117 here in page 12 you'll see what i had to do to set the adjuster with the CO mounted.
https://www.ramforum.com/threads/2014-ram-1500-express-crew-cab.124750/page-12

See if you can source the 2.5 King T coilover spanner. Will make the job a lot easier than the one King includes with the coilover once the CO's are installed and you need to turn the collar.

https://www.polyperformance.com/kin...wGefNg0LY4Fp4bUGbDfI7H-mrVz28C5MaAqZDEALw_wcB

I'm at 14 open threads driver, 13 open threads passenger because i have a bumper and winch, rock sliders etc so i'm literally at the Max and if i added a skid i'll need to upgrade my CO springs.

Have fun.