Knock sensors?????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

glass3222

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I am trying to find out if knock sensors can go bad or what is going on with my truck.

About a week ago I noticed that I am getting some ST knock retard at WOT (all RPMs). It has been ranging from 3 to 5 degrees. I never had that before, so I thought maybe I got some bad gas. I took it easy and ran that tank to almost empty and filled it up with Sunoco 93 octane. Give it a couple WOT runs, still getting 3-5* ST KN. I think, ok maybe try one of the canned tunes instead of the custom 93 tune that I have been running for a while. Install the 91 octane tune DS canned tune, same thing. I return the truck to stock, no tune with 93 octane in the tank, still getting 3-5* ST KN.

Any ideas what is going on?

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
The manual says they are bolted to the outside of the block under the exhaust manifold. Do you have anything touching the sensors. Maybe try unbolting them? Or maybe just unplugging them first. Just guessing .....

OP
OP
glass3222

glass3222

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The manual says they are bolted to the outside of the block under the exhaust manifold. Do you have anything touching the sensors. Maybe try unbolting them? Or maybe just unplugging them first. Just guessing .....

Thanks. I might give that a try tomorrow. It is just not making any sense cuase if they were loose or something was touching them, I would think I would be getting kn at part throttle, which I am not. I watch the throttle percentage on my trinity and I get no kn even at 90+%, but as soon as I hit 100% I get 3-5* pulled.

DaKing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
My harness for two of the knock sensors on the passenger side got burned from the exhaust. the harness was not secured to the transmission, and it rubbed the hot headers. Check your harness.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Possibly a level of knock is being tolerated until the PCM actually reads 100% thottle and then ******* because the throttle postion at WOT has a parameter that nolonger will tolerate any knock. What does your A/F look like? Stock tune using 93 octane should be clean with no knock. Header noise affecting sensor??? I have heard header ping will affect the sensors

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
My harness for two of the knock sensors on the passenger side got burned from the exhaust. the harness was not secured to the transmission, and it rubbed the hot headers. Check your harness.

DaKing, what happens when the sensors are disconnected?

DaKing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
DaKing, what happens when the sensors are disconnected?

I caught the issue before the wires completely milted. They did short out, a bit, but nothing bad.

OP
OP
glass3222

glass3222

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Possibly a level of knock is being tolerated until the PCM actually reads 100% thottle and then ******* because the throttle postion at WOT has a parameter that nolonger will tolerate any knock. What does your A/F look like? Stock tune using 93 octane should be clean with no knock. Header noise affecting sensor??? I have heard header ping will affect the sensors

I am not sure what my a/f is right now, don't have a wideband hooked up.

I will crawl under my truck tomorrow and see what I can find out.

If I unhook the knock sensors, what will happen????

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
Have you checked it with Sean to have him look at your logs?

OklaHemi

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
new age hemi
just bypass the knock sensor its ******** any way. get a small piece of wire about 2" and strip of the ends then loop it on the business endof the sensor wires and you truck will run fine.

OP
OP
glass3222

glass3222

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sean told me to log the sensor voltage to see if one side is more than the other or if I am getting a false reading.

OP
OP
glass3222

glass3222

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well, I crawled under the truck, everything seems tight, no wire damage that I could see. I also checked for exhaust leaks since Sean said that could cause a false reading, and I have none.

I sent Sean a log, I am waiting to see what he says.

Anyone have any other ideas?

OklaHemi

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
new age hemi
i was not asking that to be a smart ass i really dont know. all i know is that my sister in laws cars stopped running shop said it was the knock sensor and wanted a couple hundred dollars to replaace it. i asked a buddy who is asce certified and he told me how to bypass it. the car has ran fine for the last 3 years

OP
OP
glass3222

glass3222

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
i was not asking that to be a smart ass i really dont know. all i know is that my sister in laws cars stopped running shop said it was the knock sensor and wanted a couple hundred dollars to replaace it. i asked a buddy who is asce certified and he told me how to bypass it. the car has ran fine for the last 3 years

+1. I know it is there to save the engine from detonation, but if it is giving false readings, what would be the problem with bypassing?

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
Well lets say they are false readings right now so you bypass them, what happens when or if it is doing it for real

OP
OP
glass3222

glass3222

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well lets say they are false readings right now so you bypass them, what happens when or if it is doing it for real

I guess then I would get some knock/detonation? This is what I am trying to find out, this is really the first vehicle I have modded that has all of these fancy sensors and **** like that. Before I was always an old school chevy guy building small blocks or big blocks that did not have sensors or any computer controlled stuff

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
A vehicle that was only transportation and never saw WOT I would consider bypassing. A performance vehicle I would not bypass as it serves as a good indicator that the fuel trim/timing is not right and could well save a piston. Hemi's have a narrow first ring land and detonation can damage the piston. I look at it as just another indicator of what the engine is doing. Same as wtr temp, trans temp and oil pressure.