Larger oil filter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PaleFlyer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's just another gadget to leak,and if it ever develops a coolant leak into the oil,it'll cause you big issues in a hurry.It's easy enough to get rid of it,pick up a filter nipple for a truck prior to 2016,spin the cooler off,plug the coolant hoses,or loop them together,and you'll be able to run the bigger filters that the older 4X4's do.If you pick up a thermostat housing for an earlier truck,you can even tidy up the hoses under the hood.
Thanks for giving me ANOTHER project... (rofl)

I assume that removing the heat exchanger BS would require draining the coolant? Just trying to figure out how much my wife is gonna hate it (IE how long it's gonna take me)

I don't want to go with the "If ya move fast enough, ya won't spill too much!" And heck, I probably need to drain and swap the coolant soon anyway.

Yeah, Not sure when the truck ever had it, and it's coming up on 6 years old in oct, and I'm around 84k... So yeah, need to replace the coolant soon anyway.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Thanks for giving me ANOTHER project... (rofl)

I assume that removing the heat exchanger BS would require draining the coolant? Just trying to figure out how much my wife is gonna hate it (IE how long it's gonna take me)

I don't want to go with the "If ya move fast enough, ya won't spill too much!" And heck, I probably need to drain and swap the coolant soon anyway.

Yeah, Not sure when the truck ever had it, and it's coming up on 6 years old in oct, and I'm around 84k... So yeah, need to replace the coolant soon anyway.
You could pinch off the hoses feeding it,and not really spill any coolant,but like you said you're getting close to needing a coolant re-fresh anyways.

BlackSheepRebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Missed the relocation kit, my bad, 20-500 and 20-820 are for the factory filter replacements. Ignore my post.

When I ran a relocation kit I used the 20-500. It will not fit 5th gen 4WD without a kit. Wasn’t able to find 20-820 in stock at the time. YMMV.