Lasfits too bright?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sig Schecter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I installed lasfit headlights and fog lights yesterday into my 2021 Big Horn. I went with them as it seems they are the go to bulb company on this site.

Two issues, one being the reason for this post and the second just being a little tip for others.

First off, the headlights (low beams). I ordered and installed the LAplusH11/8/9 bulbs. Same product for the fogs actually but after install they seem to be obnoxiously bright. I am certain I installed them vertically, with the actual led chips at the 3 and 9 o'clock positions. That is the correct orientation right? My headlights are now reflecting off street signs and mirrors of cars ahead of me. I changed my headlights over to led in my 2014 Ram and I do not remember them being this noticeably bright on objects in front of me. I did not have to adjust the position of the housing either.

Since a lot of people here use these, has anyone experienced this? Is there a fix? I hate the yellow factory halogens.

Second part I wanted to touch on was the fog light plugs. They are the H11 bulbs and the plugs do not quite match up to the factory plug. You can push the plugs together and they will turn on but there was no way to "snap" them into place like with the factory bulb and plug. The plugs from Lasfit have protruding nubs on either side of their plug. This little nub prevents getting a full seat on one side, and is shaped ever so slightly wrong on the other side which prevents snapping the little red tab back into place.

The solution is to first verify the correct orientation the new plug is going to go in the factory harness. Once you know which way it goes it should be fairly obvious which nub to keep and which to slice off. I cut off the nub on the "backside" of the new plug and slightly reshaped the nub on the front of the plug. Just hold up the H11 bulb you took out of the truck next to the lasfit plug and shape it to match. It will snap right into place.

canadiankodiak700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L Pentastar
I installed lasfit headlights and fog lights yesterday into my 2021 Big Horn. I went with them as it seems they are the go to bulb company on this site.

Two issues, one being the reason for this post and the second just being a little tip for others.

First off, the headlights (low beams). I ordered and installed the LAplusH11/8/9 bulbs. Same product for the fogs actually but after install they seem to be obnoxiously bright. I am certain I installed them vertically, with the actual led chips at the 3 and 9 o'clock positions. That is the correct orientation right? My headlights are now reflecting off street signs and mirrors of cars ahead of me. I changed my headlights over to led in my 2014 Ram and I do not remember them being this noticeably bright on objects in front of me. I did not have to adjust the position of the housing either.

Since a lot of people here use these, has anyone experienced this? Is there a fix? I hate the yellow factory halogens.

Second part I wanted to touch on was the fog light plugs. They are the H11 bulbs and the plugs do not quite match up to the factory plug. You can push the plugs together and they will turn on but there was no way to "snap" them into place like with the factory bulb and plug. The plugs from Lasfit have protruding nubs on either side of their plug. This little nub prevents getting a full seat on one side, and is shaped ever so slightly wrong on the other side which prevents snapping the little red tab back into place.

The solution is to first verify the correct orientation the new plug is going to go in the factory harness. Once you know which way it goes it should be fairly obvious which nub to keep and which to slice off. I cut off the nub on the "backside" of the new plug and slightly reshaped the nub on the front of the plug. Just hold up the H11 bulb you took out of the truck next to the lasfit plug and shape it to match. It will snap right into place.
You need to shave off the little nubs on the plug. That plug is a standard 9005 plug, all the cheap Chinese companies use it as it fits most bulbs with very little modification.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

RedneckHippy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 3500 Tradesman
Engine
6.4 Hemi w/ MDS
I had the same issue with the katanas, the cutoff was good, but just so freaking bright, when I pulled up behind people it lit up their car like a fish bowl. I’m sure the 2 inch level didn’t help, but I switched them back. I also drive a Corolla when I commute and having lights like that shining in your rear view just sucks, and I don’t want to be that a-hole.

OP
OP
Sig Schecter

Sig Schecter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I had the same issue with the katanas, the cutoff was good, but just so freaking bright, when I pulled up behind people it lit up their car like a fish bowl. I’m sure the 2 inch level didn’t help, but I switched them back. I also drive a Corolla when I commute and having lights like that shining in your rear view just sucks, and I don’t want to be that a-hole.

Yeah that’s a good way to put it. A fish bowl. I assume it’s just the reflector setup in these headlights that’s different. I used a different brand of bulb on the last truck but still should be similar. Completely different outcome unfortunately.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
Aim them down more and the drivers side aim down just a tad more than the passenger ... the lastfit on my truck are hell of bright but not a crisp cutoff because of the reflectors .... that is what makes the light scatter so much unlike the projectors that spit the light outwards

OP
OP
Sig Schecter

Sig Schecter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Aim them down more and the drivers side aim down just a tad more than the passenger ... the lastfit on my truck are hell of bright but not a crisp cutoff because of the reflectors .... that is what makes the light scatter so much unlike the projectors that spit the light outwards

Are there differences between led brands? My last truck with led replacement bulbs was perfect out of the box.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi

The site says these are not legal for the use you are making of them. The reason why is apparent when you impair the visibility of people in front of you.

OP
OP
Sig Schecter

Sig Schecter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I have NEVER shaved anything off my Lasfits and don’t understand why you’d need to do it. Insert, turn so they are at 0600 and 1200. Mine were bright too but a little adjustment and they are perfect!

https://www.ramforum.com/threads/halogen-headlight-adjustment.172538/
I have NEVER shaved anything off my Lasfits and don’t understand why you’d need to do it. Insert, turn so they are at 0600 and 1200. Mine were bright too but a little adjustment and they are perfect!

https://www.ramforum.com/threads/halogen-headlight-adjustment.172538/

i didn’t shave anything off the light itself. Just the H11 plug that mates to the factory light harness plug. There are two tabs, front and back, one of which prevents full insertion and the other that is shaped with too right of an angle to allow the red tab to slide back down.

NorthStar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 1500 Big Horn/Lone Star 4x2 Crew
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
i didn’t shave anything off the light itself. Just the H11 plug that mates to the factory light harness plug. There are two tabs, front and back, one of which prevents full insertion and the other that is shaped with too right of an angle to allow the red tab to slide back down.
Ah, thanks for helping me visualize. I had a similar situation with the switchbacks for the fogs. I traded them out with Lasfit for the non switchback style and the plug was a little different...and fit like a glove.

RoadKing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Bighorn
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I just picked my truck up we’re supposed to get my 20 inch LED light put in the bumper but Rough Country sent two of the same bracket so now we have to start over again when I get the left bracket.

I figured why the truck was there a little shop put in the LED lights for me but I just picked it up and they’re not Orion correctly as far as I can tell elephant told me that as long as the plug was at a 6 o’clock position they would be in correctly but none of them are at 6 o’clock position.
So I’m not certain how the lights going to disperse evenly or correctly.

I’m going to take a look at the lights myself but I’m not clear on what tab you guys are cutting off yet to make them seat correctly with the connector at 6 o’clock position?

OP
OP
Sig Schecter

Sig Schecter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I just picked my truck up we’re supposed to get my 20 inch LED light put in the bumper but Rough Country sent two of the same bracket so now we have to start over again when I get the left bracket.

I figured why the truck was there a little shop put in the LED lights for me but I just picked it up and they’re not Orion correctly as far as I can tell elephant told me that as long as the plug was at a 6 o’clock position they would be in correctly but none of them are at 6 o’clock position.
So I’m not certain how the lights going to disperse evenly or correctly.

I’m going to take a look at the lights myself but I’m not clear on what tab you guys are cutting off yet to make them seat correctly with the connector at 6 o’clock position?

13A7F52C-D5D0-4EDC-8345-445F4CAA9642.jpeg
this is the tab I was referring to. It is on the bulb not the vehicles harness/plug. It has nothing to do with rotating the light. It is to latch into the vehicles harness/plug to secure it in place. Try fitting your bulb into the harness first to see if it will properly seat before you start shaving that tab down. If you need to shave it down, use a razor and little by little make that tab closely resemble the tab on your factory headlight bulb. Do not remove it completely. Just reshape it until it snaps into the vehicles harness/plug.

OP
OP
Sig Schecter

Sig Schecter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Also, these led bulbs should rotate within themselves. Plug the light into the harness, align the harness into the light housing and rotate like you normal would to secure the light into the housing. Then rotate the bulb from there. You should be able to see how the bulb rotates while you have it out of the vehicle so you know what you’re turning when you have your hand up in there and can’t see.

RoadKing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Bighorn
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Thanks. These bulbs definitely do not rotate freely on their on. LasFit mentioned that. He said there is no clocking required just make sure the plug is at 6oclock. Still driving home

OP
OP
Sig Schecter

Sig Schecter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Thanks. These bulbs definitely do not rotate freely on their on. LasFit mentioned that. He said there is no clocking required just make sure the plug is at 6oclock. Still driving home

I don’t remember what position the plug was left at when I installed mine. May just have to play around with it until you get it right.

RoadKing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Bighorn
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Thanks I will check that the harness is snapped into place but the orientation of the LED is important for correct light dispersion. the rep said the plug definitely need to be at 6 o’clock position or the dispersion will be off. I saw a YouTube video where a guy was showing lasfit led and it looks really good so I don’t know if the orientation thing is real or not the rep said it was

RoadKing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Bighorn
Engine
HEMI 5.7
The LasFit bulb metal ring with the Tabs only fits it the head light one way.

But the metal ring can slip off the led. So you put the ring on the head light first. And then you install the led in the correct orientation.
Halogen bulbs project 360° of light.

LEDs don’t so they had to be oriented just right if you want to get a correct dispersion pattern.
EC8EC5CA-8958-4386-BCEB-968CA0044C13.png

Jackson456122

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 L V8

You should try AUXITO's LED high and low beam bulbs, I got that for my 2016 Ram and they fit much better than the other LED bulbs did, they didn’t have near as much scatter has the other LEDs. The color is nice and they seem to be of very good quality. So far I’m very satisfied!

Last edited: