Leak, Driver A pillar, coming out from between sheet metal.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Totesmygoats

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This is a picture from below of the driver a pillar area (visor would be attatched to that white plastic). I have a leak seemingly coming from between the sheet metal circled in green migrating down slope on the green lines. It does not seem to come from above ,where the windshield meets, but from between the sheet metal

Any ideas where this may have started from? I have hosed the roof for hours in sections trying to isolate but cannot reproduce, it only manages to happen when it rains. PXL_20221215_192732302.jpg

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I assume it doesnt have a sun roof wasnt that common. Is it possible someone changed the windhsield at some point and didnt do that good of a job?

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
is that picture upside down ?
or am i looking at it wrong
maybe move the camera back away from there a bit

mb33458

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 etorque
I would get some 5200 and seal that area, see if that stops the leak.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
to me, based on the mage shown, it appearrs to be moisture on the slightly lesser dk blue area.

I;d suggest drying everything off, taping off everything on the roof. Front windshiels, rear window, shark fin, 3rd brake light, literally everything.

It is quite possible the leak is elsewhere adn running to that area. try parking the truck with that end of the truck, up. see if it gets wet again or somewhere else.

Running water over it vs actual rain should not make an diffreence whatsoever. if it leaks wiht rain, it should leak with running water.

OP
OP
T

Totesmygoats

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I assume it doesnt have a sun roof wasnt that common. Is it possible someone changed the windhsield at some point and didnt do that good of a job?

Original one for sure

I would get some 5200 and seal that area, see if that stops the leak.

That would only stop it from coming out there, not from wherever it's getting in

Running water over it vs actual rain should not make an diffreence whatsoever. if it leaks wiht rain, it should leak with running water.

I agree, but that doesn't change the outcome. I hit all the seams and even the 3rd brake light and shark fin.

1 MEAN66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT-MDS
Sealing it would -stop the leak- but NOT stop the water from getting in! Now the water would be trapped. The way we ( at the dealer) would look for leaks was to cover the interior vents ( on line they are called - Cabin Air Pressure Relief Vents). use duct tape and seal them up. Then get a spray bottle 30-40 percent dish soap and water. Close doors, set the dash heat controlls to vent (air coming out of dash- not floor or windshield) turn the fan on HIGH. Wait a few minutes for pressure to build in the interior, and start spraying the OUTSIDE of the cab with the soapy water. Bubbles coming out is the place where water can get in! Just like looking for the hole in a tire that goes flat! My guess it will be around the widshield area.

OP
OP
T

Totesmygoats

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sealing it would -stop the leak- but NOT stop the water from getting in! Now the water would be trapped. The way we ( at the dealer) would look for leaks was to cover the interior vents ( on line they are called - Cabin Air Pressure Relief Vents). use duct tape and seal them up. Then get a spray bottle 30-40 percent dish soap and water. Close doors, set the dash heat controlls to vent (air coming out of dash- not floor or windshield) turn the fan on HIGH. Wait a few minutes for pressure to build in the interior, and start spraying the OUTSIDE of the cab with the soapy water. Bubbles coming out is the place where water can get in! Just like looking for the hole in a tire that goes flat! My guess it will be around the widshield area.

Yea, no chance I was going to just seal where it's coming out.

That's an interesting procedure. I may try it.

1 MEAN66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT-MDS
Ya it is really is a simple way to do it!!! I was amazed when I was shown how it was done and how well it worked. And said to myself "why didn't I think of this". And of course if I said nothing all would think me as smart. BUT!!!!