LED Bed Lights WITH Ramboxes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2015er

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L Pentastar and proud
Anyone install a bed light is their truck with Ramboxes?

I would like advice as to what light to get, where to place and how to get power. Thanks!

roastpuff

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Also, if you have a late-build 2015 you could possibly fit the lights that are an option on the 2016 models (it's Ford-style, mounted by the tailgate).

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar

Tim7139

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Classic ST Crew 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi w/8 speed 3.92 gears
I have been looking at installing LEDs under the cargo management rails.

My first thought was taking the wire forward and tying into the cab light.

I am debating about installing a switch to activate when I open the tailgate with a defeat switch like the ram boxes have, splicing into their power.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I have been looking at installing LEDs under the cargo management rails.

My first thought was taking the wire forward and tying into the cab light.

I am debating about installing a switch to activate when I open the tailgate with a defeat switch like the ram boxes have, splicing into their power.
Me too, I was thinking about removing the Ramboxes and routing power from those lights to the bed with a tailgate switch. To keep it clean and not add holes I was going to remove a screw from the cargo management rail to route wires through.

This is just my initial idea, I haven't even looked at the truck to see if there are major hangups in my idea.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

jagu366

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500
Engine
Any update on this post? Thanks

MikeDee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Reviving an old thread. New to the forum and thanks to everyone for all the great information I’m Looking to add LED strips in the bed but with the ram boxes, there doesn’t seem to be the same holes that others have routed their wires through. Has anyone done this? And what’s the cleanest way to route the wires? My plan was to tap off of the seven pin trailer connector and possibly the cargo light switch using a relay so I could turn them on and off with the key on entry and the cargo light switch when needed.

tia

Sinistre1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've mounted a set running under/ along the bed rails. I have the wires ******* at the front of the cab waiting to tie them into another project that I have never completed... a second battery/ DC to DC inverter in the bed. If I were not doing this mod I would have tied them into the trailer plug. I already had 2 lights in the corner of the beds from factory but they do not offer enough light for my tastes. I guess I could have even tied into or replaced those with the aftermarket ones. I need to start finishing. Lol

Last edited:

Grant211

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Mine came with bed lights from the factory. I believe you can install factory bed lights if they didn’t come with them and it’s plug and play I believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LoadedExpressRam

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mine came with bed lights from the factory. I believe you can install factory bed lights if they didn’t come with them and it’s plug and play I believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What year?

Tim7139

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Classic ST Crew 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi w/8 speed 3.92 gears
Reviving an old thread. New to the forum and thanks to everyone for all the great information I’m Looking to add LED strips in the bed but with the ram boxes, there doesn’t seem to be the same holes that others have routed their wires through. Has anyone done this? And what’s the cleanest way to route the wires? My plan was to tap off of the seven pin trailer connector and possibly the cargo light switch using a relay so I could turn them on and off with the key on entry and the cargo light switch when needed.

On my 2015 I drilled small hole under the cargo rail on each side near the rear bracket for my tonneau cover, and ran a strip on each side. I took power from the rambox light harness and used a pair of normally closed magnetic sensor so it came on when the tonneau was opened.

On a buddies 2013 we used the front drain hole to run a wire to get out of the bed, using a small piece of stick on wire channel to cover and protect the wire in the bed. We came into the cab with the parking brake, and spliced directly to cargo wire to run a pair of led rock crawling lights on each side. He had previously swapped the cargo light to LED.

A guy I worked with ran 4 12" LED strips vertically above the drain plugs on the sides. He took power from the trailer harness and had a toggle switch near one to turn them on.

MikeDee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Great. Thanks for the reply Tim!