LED Headlights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Steve93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I recently purchased a 2016 Dodge Ram 1500 Tradesman 4x4, and am looking to put some LED headlights in it.

Overall, the job seems easy enough, but I'm running into a little difficulty with insuring I order the right bulbs. The truck doesn't have fog lights, so I'll just need high and low beams. Are there any lights/brands recommended? It seems the price range per pair is from $40-100 or so. Also, will both sets of lights (high beams and low beams) require an anti-flicker module as well? If so, any recommendations on brands and what is the typical cost associated?

Very open to suggestions, would like the mid ranged bulb between quality and cost.

Thanks,
Steve

TatertotScott

The man, the myth, the legend, the one and only!
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Spend $300 and get the Modifystreet headlights. Complete housing replacement. Direct swap. The output is so much better as to not even be comparable.

Every other bulb replacement for the quads will only get you more brightness in the crappy beam pattern, or even worse....many give even less output than stock due to giving an even worse beam pattern, and/or glare.

Do yourself a favor and lookup the thread from the last few weeks regarding Modifystreet...

I got mine in a couple weeks ago after doing the H9, the LEDs (multiple sets) and HIDs (good brands)...I am a stickler for lots of light and good beam pattern. These are the real deal.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

TatertotScott

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
@TatertotScott you used the stock bulbs?
It comes with new halogen H7 and you can choose to upgrade to HIDs as well.

I chose the HID, but others have gone with halogen....both are awesome. Check out the pics in that thread.

JV Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Spend $300 and get the Modifystreet headlights. Complete housing replacement. Direct swap. The output is so much better as to not even be comparable.

Every other bulb replacement for the quads will only get you more brightness in the crappy beam pattern, or even worse....many give even less output than stock due to giving an even worse beam pattern, and/or glare.

Do yourself a favor and lookup the thread from the last few weeks regarding Modifystreet...

I got mine in a couple weeks ago after doing the H9, the LEDs (multiple sets) and HIDs (good brands)...I am a stickler for lots of light and good beam pattern. These are the real deal.

Got me really interested in these. Are they good quality and do you feel they’re worth it? These are the cheapest priced full unit headlights I’ve ever seen price wise. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TatertotScott

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Got me really interested in these. Are they good quality and do you feel they’re worth it? These are the cheapest priced full unit headlights I’ve ever seen price wise. Thanks.

Absolutely worth every penny.

There are already several on this forum, specifically in that thread, very happy with them.

I live in rural Washington where street lights are a rarity and blind curves, ditches, wildlife are part of the road always.

Already several people here in my neck of the woods running them as well.

JV Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Absolutely worth every penny.

There are already several on this forum, specifically in that thread, very happy with them.

I live in rural Washington where street lights are a rarity and blind curves, ditches, wildlife are part of the road always.

Already several people here in my neck of the woods running them as well.

Ok awesome! Think I maybe buying these then. On amazon it says 2019 Ram 10k HID, think these will fit my 2016? Also do you recommend the 10k lumen or what are you running?

TatertotScott

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ok awesome! Think I maybe buying these then. On amazon it says 2019 Ram 10k HID, think these will fit my 2016? Also do you recommend the 10k lumen or what are you running?

I would never recommend anything higher than 6000K as it becomes purplr the higher you go.

If it is the Ram 19 style, then yes. Here is the one I bought:

Modifystreet 6000K Xenon/Polished... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NPZS2MJ?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

JV Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
I would never recommend anything higher than 6000K as it becomes purplr the higher you go.

If it is the Ram 19 style, then yes. Here is the one I bought:

Modifystreet 6000K Xenon/Polished... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NPZS2MJ?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Ok thank you for the feed back. I for sure don’t want blue lights so I’ll stick with the 6k lights. Was reading some reviews, do these things sit perfectly flush? One guy had a 2500 and said there was a 1/2” gap left over. I assume the 2500s are a little bigger then the 1500s but I’m not sure.

TatertotScott

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
No gap for me.

Sit in exactly the same spot as stock. As far as I know, the 2500 fenders are the same as the 1500....pretty sure hood, grill, bumper are only difference on the body.

JV Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Also how hard are these to install? Are they plug and play?

shadowhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black metallic 2016 Sport- born 05/2016
Engine
hemi 5.7 with I2 tune
so the modifystreet versions don't swap for those with projectors. Quad swap only?

TatertotScott

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Correct. Direct plug and play for quads, and I believe they are working on a way for the projector folks...

DevilDoc0986

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I Have a 2008 1500 Big Horn 5.7 Hemi and just purchased LED Headlights from amazon that said were plug and play however I had to basically force it in to sit correctly in the headlamp housing and zip tie the connecter. I don't feel to comfortable leaving it like that, so does anyone know of LED headlight bulbs that are true plug and play for the 2008 1500?

rotwiler

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QC Outdoorsman
Engine
I Also have the modifystreet (alpharexusa) projection headlights. Bought some 6,500k Katana led to try out in the low beams and I already have alphaobd, so just need to install. The H7 halogens that come with the lights are good, no complaints but I like the really white look. Doing the new headlights is not hard, just removing like 8 bolts(that is if you remove grill) if not removing grill is 2 bolts per side, honestly hardest part is when you put light back in, getting light assembly back in the white hole and getting latch thing on correctly behind light, for some reason I always have issues. All headlight adjusts are under hood like stock. With the Gap issue, is because it wasn't installed properly I am sure. I did same thing and thought it was my old blacked out quads, there is a thing behind all these headlights oem and aftermarket like a nipple(not sure what it's called) that secures into a white clip thing, then you pull a latch down behind lights to secure assembly. Do this before putting the 2 bolts in, if light can be removed after latch is secured behind, light is not installed correctly, make sure all wiring is out of way to get it to seat correctly and pull latch. They fit as good as oem. All these lights sit in slightly, even oem, if they are even with body of truck they are installed wrong, they should sit in like 1/8 inch. Take your time, make sure they latch on back and you should be happy. Here is photo how they should sit and how the h7 halogens look on. I do have oem fogs on also. Look at right side in photo and notice there is like a 1/8th inch recess of the lights, that's how it should be.

IMG_20190314_183106.jpg

IMG_20190315_200546.jpg

Last edited:

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
so the modifystreet versions don't swap for those with projectors. Quad swap only?

Alpharex, the maker's off these headlights have come out with a harness for those with factory projectors. Only problem is they didn't wire in a feed for the dedicated drl option. You'd use the supplied harness. But there are work arounds to add that feature. I'm not sure what they are charging for the harness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ALLA Lighting

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 L V6 diesel
I Have a 2008 1500 Big Horn 5.7 Hemi and just purchased LED Headlights from amazon that said were plug and play however I had to basically force it in to sit correctly in the headlamp housing and zip tie the connecter. I don't feel to comfortable leaving it like that, so does anyone know of LED headlight bulbs that are true plug and play for the 2008 1500?

LED bulbs are aftermarket products and vary in different designs and shapes. One thing to take into consideration is the dimension of the LED bulb and the housing clearance. For some Rams not all LED designs are compatible since the high beam housing is restricted (up in a corner rather than centered) Some LED bulbs will be direct plug and play for your Ram and no need to modify or use any zip tie. Preferably locate a design with short fan component or L-shape.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
I have your Alla Lighting reverse lights. Like them, no error codes.