Let em fix it or replace it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Units

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Bighorn
Engine
6.7l Cummins
Have posted a few times detailing my current issue with my truck - 2022 6.4l 2500 - I’ll link those below as not to be too long winded. Long story short, I’ve had all lifters replaced at about 4k miles due to engine knock at startup, dealership had my truck for the whole month of March. After a long trip with my camper, problem got more pronounced, informed them there was still a problem so they scheduled me an appointment with a Chrysler engineer. Fast fwd to June 11th, day before my appointment with the engineer, took my camper on a quick overnight trip and on the way home truck spit and sputters and dash lights up like a Christmas tree. Multiple cylinder misfire and torq module malfunction. Have it towed on the 12th back to the dealer, day of my appointment with the engineer. Went up there yesterday and was told engineer said it was a cam and lifter problem, will know the extent of the damage in a few days since their tech is out. So my question is, let them replace lifters and cam or should I push for a new engine? My thought is if the cam lobes are ate up there will be metal in the motor and they will not be able to remove it all, which will not be a good thing. Any thoughts, ideas or experiences with a similar problem will be greatly appreciated.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
You can push for whatever you want but I doubt it will have an effect on the outcome. It's rarely up to the customer in situations like this for warranty work. For what it's worth I'd want a new engine in your case for the exact reason you listed.

brian42

Military
Reaction score
As a customer I would be asking for an engine replacement. They already tore into the valve train and there are still issues. They've got 4 chances to try to fix the problem before you enter lemon territory.

Regardless of who is looking at your truck make sure that the service department starts a STAR Case for your issue. I'm not sure what level the engineer is but initiating a STAR Case gets corporate engineering involved to help the dealership resolve the problem. Not that I ever had it in my cases but they carry enough weight to direct actions too. The dealership will do what the shop manual says and what they know corporate will reimburse them for. Corporate can override the process and direct specific actions, like replace the engine and call it a day.

Corporate backed the dealership in all my STAR Cases but the answer is always 'no' unless you ask.

You can also start working from the other direction and call corporate customer service (1-866-932-3878, 1-866-726-4636) or contact @RamCares through this forum.

OP
OP
Units

Units

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Bighorn
Engine
6.7l Cummins
As a customer I would be asking for an engine replacement. They already tore into the valve train and there are still issues. They've got 4 chances to try to fix the problem before you enter lemon territory.

Regardless of who is looking at your truck make sure that the service department starts a STAR Case for your issue. I'm not sure what level the engineer is but initiating a STAR Case gets corporate engineering involved to help the dealership resolve the problem. Not that I ever had it in my cases but they carry enough weight to direct actions too. The dealership will do what the shop manual says and what they know corporate will reimburse them for. Corporate can override the process and direct specific actions, like replace the engine and call it a day.

Corporate backed the dealership in all my STAR Cases but the answer is always 'no' unless you ask.

You can also start working from the other direction and call corporate customer service (1-866-932-3878, 1-866-726-4636) or contact @RamCares through this forum.
@brian42 thank you for the information. Are both numbers you listed connected to the same place?

@RamCares - DM sent

Last edited:

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
IMO If you got metal bits in the oil the engine needs to be pulled & disassembled, then hot tanked, then reassembled with new parts...

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I hate to think about oil carrying metal bits getting into main bearings, etc.

OP
OP
Units

Units

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Bighorn
Engine
6.7l Cummins
@RamCares sent you a DM and no reply yet. If you cannot help me at least say so. Thanks.

brian42

Military
Reaction score
@brian42 thank you for the information. Are both numbers you listed connected to the same place?
I think so. Some numbers are to the same call center and others start in other areas but you can get to where you need by talking to someone on there. They may be the one to help you or they may have to transfer you. Stellantis changes around their "switchboard" so sometimes you are directed to a different department than the last time you called so it's always a gamble where you're calling in to, but you can always get to where you're going once you call in within a transfer or two.

@RamCares sent you a DM and no reply yet. If you cannot help me at least say so. Thanks.
They sometimes take a bit to get back to you. I'm not sure how many are assigned to the forums but this format (forums) are the dinosaur of current digital communications platforms so I don't think they get as much focus as others.

When you get frustrated (and you will ;)) remember that these initial corporate contacts are trying to help - they are just doing their jobs and connecting you to the people who will tell you "no".