Lets talk toolboxes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AA_Ron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Good day to all. I realize that there are way too many toolbox options around. Could easily turn into " whats the best oil" type thread like in the Harley forum.
I am looking at a UWS crossover, matte black, deep with a rail on top.
My question is, has anyone replaced the paddle handles with the T handles. I have looked, just cant seem to find if they are interchangeable. I am not paying the price they want for a new box and noone seems to have the unicorn i am looking for anyway.
Thanks for the help

AA-Ron

OP
OP
A

AA_Ron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes, would like to replace the paddle(bottom pic) for the T handle(top pic). Just wondering if anyone has done it.
Thanks

OP
OP
A

AA_Ron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well i cheapoed out.hahaha
I found a decent black box with the pull handle type. Could not pass the deal20230709_181823.jpg

faross

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 l
That's what I did for boxes

Attachments

• PXL_20230627_211356780.jpg
    PXL_20230627_211356780.jpg
    216.6 KB · Views: 15
OP
OP
A

AA_Ron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Looks good faross. I am thinking about making a 3rd of it a cooler. Haha

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
I want a toobox that knows if you are allowed to borrow the tools inside, or not.
If not, it locks automatically.

Someone invent that tool box please.

\If they could add an instant replay feature showing me exactly the last time I used the tool and where i actually sat it down,
when i can see it is n ot in teh drawer where it lives, that would be nice too.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I just went & bought SAE & Metric Allen wrenches at Home Depot
Of course the set did not come with 5.5 mm, skate board wrenches

That is like buying a set of combination wrenches, with no 1/2 inch size

faross

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 l
Looks good faross. I am thinking about making a 3rd of it a cooler. Haha
That can work out nice I left 14 inches in the thank by the tailgate to Carry larger items like 5 gal bucket bags what ever is needed . But here in FL it gets pretty hot in there .

PaulTGarrett

Grumpy old man
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 Cummins Turbo Diesel
I have not been happy with my UWS tool box. I will admit, I bought it because of their reputation and didn't really give the box a detailed lookie-lu before buying it. My fault there. I have found the box to be, well, cheap. Not inexpensive, just plain cheap. Maybe it was made on a Friday before a holiday weekend.

The weather stripping frankly sucks, it barely seals, and when I give Sasquatch a bath, my toolbox leaks. Also, the "screwdriver rails" that make up the bed rail pocket sides do not extend front to back, so any small parts make their way to a finger sized gap and fall down into the depths of the box. 10mm sockets find their way to those gaps, too! The hinges are piano hinges (good thing) but are only pop riveted in 6 places (BAD thing). Seriously?! Who cares about the paddle locks, I could pry the back of the lid off the box easier! Also, the huge slots they cut into the bed rail boxes for J-bolts leak water just driving down a rainy road! I want a tool box, not a water tank full of rusty tools!

NOT impressed and would probably not buy UWS again.

I have - ripped the "screwdriver rails" out (easily with a pair of pliers) and welded in just flat plate to make the bed rail boxes complete. I pulled out their screen-door weatherstripping and added wide and thick flat spongy rubber stripping. I drilled out every hole in the piano hinges and added both pop rivets and nut/bolts. I added a 3/8" flat plate of aluminum (Amateur radio antenna mount and tie-down point) between the bed rail and the box, sealing the box to plate surface with 5200. I don't use the useless J-bolts, I just drilled through the box/plate/bedrail and installed real bolts with nylock nuts. NOW it's a decent box. But I shouldn't have to do all that to a box I paid $$$ for.

Tom Davis

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I have one of the Kobalt boxes from Lowes on my truck (actually made by Better Built). It's been on there for about 7 years now, using J-Bolts to hold it in place, and have no issues what so ever. Nothing has ever gotten wet in it, and the locks and handles still are as good as when new. I believe they carry Craftsman now, and cannot speak as to the quality of them.