Level or spacer ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ridgeram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
HI all,
my 2006 ram 1500 QC has a new set of 285/65/20 bf all terrains
They touch slightly on the fenderwell when max turned or on slope.
i would like to gain some clearance from contact. will a wheel spacer help this issue"?

a level kit is possible but i havent had much success on previous trucks with them. seems to wear the suspension components faster. not interested in a suspension lift either !
thanks

BlackedOutHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2012
Engine
5.7L HEMI & 6.7L Cummins
Most people will say not to do spacers because they put more stress on the hub and cause a failure, but others will stand behind them. I guess it all depends on the kind you get. Don't go cheap. Lol.

OP
OP
R

Ridgeram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
ok, only question is how would a spacer that keeps the suspension geometry the same have an affect on the hub ?,,, maybe i should have just kept stock size tires. haha

NWRQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
ok, only question is how would a spacer that keeps the suspension geometry the same have an affect on the hub ?,,, maybe i should have just kept stock size tires. haha

I think that you are thinking of a spacer that goes on top of the spring/shock to lift the truck slightly, thus keeping the same suspenion geometry. They are talking about a wheel spacer that goes between the hub and the wheel to push it out a bit (determined by the width of the spacer).
I have never experienced any issues with running spacers. Unless you run a huge spacer you shouldn't have any issues with the wheel bearings.
What BlackedOutHemi was refering to was by pushing the wheel center out further it puts more pressure on the hub and bearings. As far as spacers being bad, it depenends on how large. Yes a 3" spacer will put a lot more stress on the hub assembly and could cause premature wear. But a 1" spacer shouldn't. It has the same affect as a lower offset wheel, which most people go with when they add aftermarket wheels. So spacer or lower offset wheel, the end result is the same.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
if you are rubbing on the fender wheel spacers might make it rub more because you are pushing the wheel out and make a bigger radius when you turn the wheel.

A level kit it what you would need

NWRQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
if you are rubbing on the fender wheel spacers might make it rub more because you are pushing the wheel out and make a bigger radius when you turn the wheel.

A level kit it what you would need

Yeah.
I guess it depends on where he is rubbing on the fender well, he didn't say.

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Bringing the wheel out more will just make rubbing worse
Your best bet may be adjustable shocks on the setting just above stock