Leveling and gearing question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2fst4u450r

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello guys I just changed my slammed 2007 for stock 2013 ram 1500 5.7 hemi with a 6 speed tranny . I have a couple questions sense this will be the first time I will raise a truck
1. I want to get 3 inch spacers for the front of the truck but I don't know if 3 inches will mess up the hole suspension geometry and run the risk of breaking something ?

2.with the 6 speed can I run 35s on the stock gearing?

3. Iwant to do all the work but im wondering how hard is it to install the leveling kit ,and Will I need to alignment after ?

And thanks in advanced for the help.

Attachments

• 20150920_163449.jpg
    20150920_163449.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 90

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
1. I'd go two inches unless you have that much rake to level out from. Are you 2WD or 4WD? I suspect that 3" may cause some problems with the front track bar and track bar mount. It may mean you will have to get an adjustable one, such as a Carli unit.

2. Not sure what your gearing is but it will add to the unsprung weight of the truck and will slow it down. Plus, you will probably see a bit of a reduction in MPG.

3. Leveling kits are not hard to install with the right tools and you will want to check the alignment after it is installed. I'd have a shop that can do an alignment do the install as they will have all the standard and special tools needed.

Your other option is to go with adjustable front shocks vs. the level kit but if you go too tall, you risk having the upper control arm issue others have had on the 1/2 ton trucks.

Nick1500Josh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know you are just doing a simple level but, I just did a lift and I was debating on doing spacers before till I saved up my money so I did a lot of research.

1) Yes altering anything will mess with the geometry. If you run 3" spacers, it will definetly mess with it. I've seen numerous people that went 3" and within less than a year they were replacing u-joints, tie rods, etc. I'm not saying this is the case for everyone. I think there are a few people that have no problems and such. If I were you I would get the Bilstien 5100s because they aren't a spacer and they are easier on the entire suspension. Not to mention they are adjustable. I am running those on my lift currently and it feels just like stock. Ride quality with a spacer will reduce significantly, from what I hear compared to stock. Talk with Andrew at Bullys Performance, a vendor on here, and he will set you up with them pretty cheap. Mention that you are a fourm member and he will give you a discount as well.

2) Like I said, I installed a 6" lift, 20x10 rims and 35x12.5 toyos and am still running stock gearing (3.52 i think). It is definetly a lot slower but as far as power and everything like that you should be fine, especially since you are only leveling it. In my case I added about 300 pounds.

3) like Maddog said, you can do anything yourself with the right tools. I've changed multiple suspensions before so it's pretty easy. For this you'll need a decent socket set, a spring compressor, and a decently tall jack. Do a lot of research on install how to's. With it being pretty common mod, I'm sure there are a lot of videos. The moment you change the height of anything suspension wise on a vehicle you should get it aligned. If you have a shop do it, they might give you a little discount, 30$ off or something, but around me they are usually around 100-120$. So, short answer, yes you will need a alignment

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
^^^ Good info! ^^^

OP
OP

2fst4u450r

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the help nick I will defenitly look into the kit.

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited
Engine
6.7 Cummins - Tuned and Deleted
As the other guys already stated, 3" is too much of a lift without going to a full kit. 2.8" with Bilsteins is the heights you want to go. The geometry will obviously change the the Bilsteins keep the suspension travel within OEM specs and do ride better than stock.

You should download your build sheet to find out exactly what gears you have in the truck. 3.55's is most common however you may have 3.21's or 3.92's. The lower the gears (numerically higher) the better the truck will handle larger tires. Either way, you'll be okay running 35's.
Here's the link to download your build sheet. Just enter your full VIN after the "="
http://www.ramtrucks.com/webselfservice/BuildSheetServlet?vin=

The overall installation isn't too hard and the instructions are easy to follow however to install Bilsteins you do need a strut or spring compressors to disassemble the OEM struts and assemble the Bilsteins. They can be rented from most local auto stores fairly cheap. As Nick said, you definitely need an alignment after any front end suspension changes.

To clarify a few other comments that were made:
You do not need to worry about a front track bar at all as your truck doesn't have one. They are only on 2500/3500's with a solid front axle.
You don't have to worry about U-joints; again, your truck doesn't have them.
You shouldn't have any issues with ball joints, tie rods, hubs, etc. if the leveling kit is done right.

If you want some more detailed information check out the Guide to Leveling linked in my signature.

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
Yes what these guys have said, 3" spacer is too much. Bilsteins are a great option for leveling the truck out.

FISH ON

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
35's and 3.21 gears don't play nice. Check what your truck has.

black_pearl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm running bilsteins at 2.8 on 35's with stock 3.55 gearing. The truck by no means is a race car but it still has some get up and go with the stock gearing.