Leveling kit and body lift together?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
I was actually going to say the exact same thing. I've owned many trucks and a jeep, and almost all had both a 3" body lift and suspension lift and never had issues with them ever. My jeep I had for 15 years and other than wear and tear stuff it was a beast on the trail and I'm no offroad pro but it handled whatever I took it thru. Guess it's really just about what you want to spend and the look your going for. I doubt I would do a body lift on my new truck as I will probably just level and be done this time around as it's my daily driver, but who knows I may throw a lift on it down the road, modding just is so addicting! :)
Just when you think you're done modding you get another "brilliant idea" lmao

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the rough country combo lift and love it, I was able to clear 35x12.50 Toyo open country MTs. This has been on my truck for almost two years with zero issues.

handyman1982

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
310-hp, 4.7-liter V-8 engine
4-in is a little bit high. Used the Superlift Dodge Leveling Kits for my 2010 Dodge Ram.

OP
OP
A

AllyRhiannxo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks everyone for your input. Truck is my daily driver but I also do a little bit of off roading nothing major. Options I'm looking at now are the zone 4 inch suspension lift or zone 3.5 inch combo lift either of which I would like to pair up with 35 inch tires and some fox shocks I heard they give a really nice ride.

And FYI I do plan on putting a HD bumper on in the future such as iron cross or similiar..if that makes a difference.

My next question is with either of those lifts will I need buy anything else or replace in anything once I put either of those heights on? Such as steering stabilizers or such? As you can tell I'm not exactly mechanical savvy but hey that's why I'm here to learn a little more :)

Klaus96

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 CC Laramie 4x4
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Sounds like you're talking out your ass with the above statement.

OP Don't listen to him, a body lift will be just fine unless you plan on doing some more serious offroading. If you're just going to drive on the road and the occasional mild

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
Did they move your exhaust tips? Or an exhaust shop?
The place that did the lift moved them. If you look behind the tip you'll see the piece they made to move the tips up

6ad1977a821cc0c0d213837a7cfb79d6.jpg

Klaus96

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 CC Laramie 4x4
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Thanks, just got off the phone with my shop and he said he could move em. I think he would rather I put a BDS in and I get what Brandon is saying, but like you I don't plan for any off-roading and $2300 USD just for the kit seems a bit much just for "looks".

Not to mention fear of warranty issues. BDS offers a free drivetrain warranty to supplement factory warranty should you be denied coverage because of the lift. This must mean there are concerns. My dealer says they are mod friendly, but hasn't submitted a large cost ticket with a modded truck so who knows. Above a certain dollar amount he has to get authorization.

Klaus96

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 CC Laramie 4x4
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I did a 2" front level with a 1.5 " rear level. Then I have a 3" PA Body Lift with Mevotech UCA'S.

If you're going to do a body lift also get Gap guards because they'll help keep your engine cleaner!

My truck sits 44" in the front and 45" in the rear.

Did you do the rear to maintain the 1" rake?

How did it turn out with the gap guards? Everything looks hidden and clean?

I measured a buddies Chevy at work last night who has the BDS 6" and he is just over 44" all the way around. Not sure of the difference in fender well dimensions to say how it equates to RAM.

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
Did you do the rear to maintain the 1" rake?

How did it turn out with the gap guards? Everything looks hidden and clean?

I measured a buddies Chevy at work last night who has the BDS 6" and he is just over 44" all the way around. Not sure of the difference in fender well dimensions to say how it equates to RAM.

Yeah I wanted a bit of rake for when I'm towing or using the box. When I put an atv in the back the truck sits level (also have 12 psi in air bags).

Here's a link to my build thread. The gap guard pics should be on page 5 or 6! They turned out well, from a distance you can't even tell they're in there. Pretty simple to install as well!

http://www.ramforum.com/showthread.php?t=50717

My truck measures 44 " up front and 45 " in the back wheel wells. This is from the ground to bottom of the wheel wells

Klaus96

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 CC Laramie 4x4
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Yeah I wanted a bit of rake for when I'm towing or using the box. When I put an atv in the back the truck sits level (also have 12 psi in air bags).

I was thinking of getting the bag setup that has the onboard compressor vs. the setup that you fill with an air chuck. When I hook up my boat it sits level so I have to do something. That's why I thought I'd ask cuz it looked like you hauled/towed. Do you regret not having the onboard compressor?

Sorry to hijack OP, but I think this is good info for you as well.

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
I was thinking of getting the bag setup that has the onboard compressor vs. the setup that you fill with an air chuck. When I hook up my boat it sits level so I have to do something. That's why I thought I'd ask cuz it looked like you hauled/towed. Do you regret not having the onboard compressor?

Sorry to hijack OP, but I think this is good info for you as well.
When I was buying airbags I didn't have the option of the heavier bags. There was only the airlift 1000 available. If I had the choice I would have gone with the airlift 5000 bags! I wouldn't have used an on board compressor though, you can hook those ones up and fill them like tires. The 5000 bags can level up to 5000 lbs, and for the money you'd be crazy not to get them! I think it's a $100 difference!

The on board compressor is nice but expensive to set up!

I almost bought them a month ago but the US money exchange is brutal and I already have the airlift 1000 bags.

Going to the airlift 5000 you'll need to buy their other brackets if you do a leveling kit. I think it's an extra $40

Klaus96

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 CC Laramie 4x4
Engine
6.7 Cummins
When you air em up, does it raise the back?

Klaus96

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 CC Laramie 4x4
Engine
6.7 Cummins
My shop says it will some. I think I'll get the 5000's with onboard compressor.

Klaus96

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 CC Laramie 4x4
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Sorry for rapid fire questions, but do you know what your rake was before you lifted?

senseimattyb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I have the RC leveling kit. Was going to add the zone 1.5" BL. What do most guys do with the duel exhaust tips when they do a body lift?

Express SN95

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If its just the 1.5" bl then you can adjust the tips up. If you look there is an adjustment point on the tips. Loosen them, adjust up, and re-tighten.

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
... like I said, some guys will get away with a body lift no problem. All depends on what you want to do with the truck. But that still doesn't make them as good as a suspension lift.

What does "as good" mean? The biggest advantage a body lift has over suspension is maintaining a lower center of gravity. So if you're looking for stability, a BL may well be the "best" way to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk