Leveling kit. should i even get a kit?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

doge ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
so i've been on here reading around and i want to level out the front of my truck, and my first search brought up leveling keys. i had a pair picked out and watched some youtube videos on how they worked. i get back on here though and see other people saying that the keys are waste of money, and to just crank up the torsion bars, and get new shocks so the ride isnt so harsh.

i saw in one thread that the 2500 shocks will fit the 1500's and with the leveling kit and going about 2.5-3 inches up. it should give me close to the amount of shock travel i need.

so should i just buy some new shocks and crank the torsion bars. or should i get new keys also with the shocks.

i'll get an alignment as well. i've read that it needs to be done after a level.

oldskool83

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I used longer shock on a rought county leveling kit, problem is people cheaping out swaping out stuff then selling off the truck a year llater like most will do so the next person has no clue what's been done.

crank keys if your cheap, buy keys if you want it done right. you should replace rear shock too or else you level will not really be leavel if shocks are worn out in the back it will lookl ike a bulldog and squat in the rear.

keys and shocks are cheap, $260 all new stuff.

NWRQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Buying aftermarket keys is a waste of money. The difference between stock and aftermarket keys is that the aftermarket keys are indexed to allow more adjustment (3"+) which you wouldn't want to do anyways.
Crank your stock keys and buy new shocks. I don't know anything about running 2500 shocks.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You can crank your torsion bars for ~2" of lift and run 2500 shocks.
I would agree about replacing all 4 shocks, just to keep it riding properly.

oldskool83

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
here are your p/n for shocks 0-2" of lift from rough country. They are not listed on their site and I learned the hard way because they sent me wrong shocks at 1st.

Rough Country N2.0 rear shocks P/N 20057 0-2" lift
Rough Country N2.0 front shock P/N 20126 0-2" lift

Liontribe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i have seen kits for my 02 that include keys and new shock brackets. are these really necessary for just an inch or two of leveling in the front? i can't see it altering the angle of the shocks that much, but i am not very up to date on this type of thing. all the different leveling kits are a bit confusing to me. i want to level my ol' ram, but i want to make sure i do it the right way. you guys are a wealth of information, i am glad i found this place. thanks in advance for any tips.

liontribe

OP
OP
D

doge ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
to run 2500 Shocks is there any extra hardware that i would need or should it be a simple install like it was a 1500 specific shock. i dont wanna buy the wrong thing so need to make sure. i tried the part number of the shocks that oldskool83 posted but those numbers show up for a Tacoma and ford rangers.

OP
OP
D

doge ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
duplicate message. ingore