Lift pump issues

Discussion in '5.9 Common Rail' started by mikemc53, Sep 24, 2016.

1. mikemc53

mikemc53 Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.9L Cummins
    This just started a few days ago. First of all it is a 2004.5 Ram 3500, 5.9L HO. When I turn the key in the ignition to the "run" position the pump (Fass) now runs about 25 seconds, when it used to run about a second or 2. It is also very loud.

I can start the truck anytime during this 25 second run-up and then the pump will continue to run and stay very loud after start-up. If I let the pump run until it shuts off I can start the truck and the pump will not be running...initially. Then it will sporadically go on and off (again quite loud) but if I hit the accelerator as soon as it starts, it will stop...and then in about 10-15 seconds it will do it again.

Sounds like the pump is going but, then again, it could be a filter issue or tank issue. I checked the lines at the pump and they seem to be on clean with no air suction issues.

Thoughts? I am supposed to take a short trip (about 120 miles) on Monday and have little time to do anything with this.

2. dmuney

dmuney Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.9L HO Cummins
    Take your filters off and remove the tube that goes Dow inside the filter make sure there isn't a piece of something sucked up in there. Sounds like your fass pump is cavitating which would make it very loud or its time for a pump

05 2500 4WD swb AFE intake Edge Attitude 4"ex down 1/2 cylinder White on Black

3. BWC

BWC Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Cummins
    Is it holding pressure just fine? Yeah sounds like something could be in the filters.